Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Unit Grouping  (Read 703 times)

madwolfnemesis

Unit Grouping
« on: 09 Jul 2003, 15:51:48 »
I have questions in regards to grouping of units. I am creating a custom platoon size. 1 Officer will be the overall in-command of the platoon. He will be having 3 Sergants assisting him. In turn, the 3 sergeants will be in control of another 6 men, under them. That is to say, the whole platoon is made up of 28 men( 1 Platoon Commander, 3 Squad Commander, 18 men).

1 Platoon Commander -> 3 Squad Commander
1 Squad Commander -> 6 soldiers

So it's like a 2-level grouping. How should I go about doing it? So when the platoon commander commands the 3 squad commanders, the 3 squad commanders will be able to command their individual 6 men each. Please advise, thank you.

Offline Zombie

• Members
  • Beware the night, the zombie walks among you
    • USI
Re:Unit Grouping
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2003, 22:41:56 »
Just using basic commands, you won't be able to accomplish this, as only 12 units per group are supported.  I am sure some advanced scripting, with creative use of the join command would work, but seems to me once the Officer orders the sergeants, they then join and lead their squads, and the officer will be out of the chain of command.  ALMOST anything is possible through scripting, but I've never seen this brought up, it will give me an interesting project to play with!

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2003, 02:26:28 »
A quick (and looped) distance check can be used if the troopers are just supposed to follow the leader around the map.

Som'n like:

======================

#Loop
? !alive SargeantName: exit
? SargeantName Distance CommanderName >10: SargeantName Move GetPos CommanderName
~5
goto "Loop"
======================

save the script to yer mission folder & let some squad member fire it.

The "move" -command tells the sarge' to order his squad to keep formation as he/they all move close to the platoon leader.

(this is a very simplified version of such workarounds)  :)

=========

[P.S.]

:D I believe there are some "mega-group" scrolls and snippets avaliable for download in ED's Depot  :-*

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2003, 03:05:09 by Tomb »

madwolfnemesis

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2003, 11:47:50 »
Interesing pointers that u guys had brought up. Thanks for the suggestions, perhaps we can work on it and post it up in ofpec. I believe in many armies around the globe, such command and control are used. It'll make it more realistic so that there will be an overall leader and junior commanders assisting.

madwolfnemesis

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2003, 12:30:01 »
A quick (and looped) distance check can be used if the troopers are just supposed to follow the leader around the map.

Som'n like:

======================

#Loop
? !alive SargeantName: exit
? SargeantName Distance CommanderName >10: SargeantName Move GetPos CommanderName
~5
goto "Loop"
======================

save the script to yer mission folder & let some squad member fire it.

The "move" -command tells the sarge' to order his squad to keep formation as he/they all move close to the platoon leader.

(this is a very simplified version of such workarounds)  :)

=========

[P.S.]

:D I believe there are some "mega-group" scrolls and snippets avaliable for download in ED's Depot  :-*

This is a good example. In this case, the sergeants will follow the officer. I understand. Um, what abt making the sergeants relay the message from the Officer? Say the Officer asks 1st Sergeant to Flank Left and 2nd Sergeant to Support First, how are the Sergeants going to execute this with his men?

madwolfnemesis

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2003, 08:57:05 »
Realised that the Chain Of Command engine does it all, but it looks really complex. Looks like gotta work onto it. perhaps, there can be a tutorial section dedicated on the COC, it's really complex and many of the current armies in the world aer having their own ORBAT and COC will be a great tool