Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: My music conversion problem is driving me crazy  (Read 463 times)

Ubiquitous

My music conversion problem is driving me crazy
« on: 21 Jun 2003, 22:28:06 »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my music problem. I've read all the tutorials that I could find on the subject and followed them to the letter.

I started with a mission that I have built, and to which I wished to add some custom music. I took the track I wanted, and using CoolEdit 2000 I cut the clip down to size (approx. 54secs) and added a fade-in. Then using a plugin I have for cooledit I saved the track as song1.ogg. In constant bit rate, 44100KHz, 16bit, stereo. I placed this file in "...\users\greg\missions\G01 Recon LOLISSE.ABEL\music\". Next I created the description.ext file in "...\users\greg\missions\G01 Recon LOLISSE.ABEL\" referencing to the appropriate file.

Having done this I fired up the editor and selected a waypoint of the player's, next using the effects option i set 'trigger' to 'music' and 'music' to 'Memento' (which is the name i gave my trac in the description file). When I started the mission the thing took longer to load, presumably because it was loading the music, however upon reaching said waypoint the game crashed and dumped me back out to the desktop.

Next, keeping the same description.ext file and simply renaming another .ogg file, I tried again this time using a track from a tutorial mission and it worked fine. The same can be said for a track which I extracted from the .pbo for the 'Ambush' mission. So I'm sure that my description.ext is right, and that my directory structure and file names are also okay. Furthur I know that I am putting the music into the editor right. For theese reasons I'm convinced that there is some kind of conversion problem.

I've tried re-encoding the music as .ogg using many combinations of settings in Cool Edit, WaveSurfer, db Power Amp Music Converter, Ogg Dropper and one other program whose name I cant remember. Ive tried constant bit rate, managed bit rate, variable bit rate, 44100 Khz, 22050 Khz, Mono, Sterio, 16bit and 8bit. Ive tried starting with different tracks, and editing them to different lengths. Ive tried to remove all traces of ID tags from the files, I've tried using the playmusic command in the editor rather than the effects dialogue. I even tried dumping the sound to a raw PCM file and then converting that to .ogg. Always the result was the same: I get dumped out to the desktop as soon as I reach the waypoint/trigger that is supposed to play the music.

This has already consumed 5 hours of my life and now I've completely run out of ideas, so if anyone can help it would be much appeciated. :)

Many Thanks

Ubiquitous

I've also attatched a small example ogg file that i have made, but which doesn't work, so if someone could take a look at it and see what is wrong it would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2003, 15:48:54 by Ubiquitous »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:My music conversion problem is driving me crazy
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2003, 11:05:55 »
Hello Ubiquitous,

I took a look at your 2 sec attachment and it's working just fine for me. The problem must be with your description.ext. There's no other problems that I know of which could cause ofp to crash when adding music, than an error in the description.ext.

If you don't get it solved you're welcome to attach your description here or copy/paste it and I'll take a look  ;)
Not all is lost.

Ubiquitous

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2003, 23:30:44 »
Hi Artak,

I'm really grateful that you took the time to take a look at my .ogg file. I've included my decription.ext file below in case I'm wrong and there is, in fact, somthing wrong with that. This whole thing strike me as rather peculiar as I have used other people's music with no problem, but anything that I create just will not work for me. Arrrrggggghhh :) I've got a nasty feeling that this is just going to be one of those problems that you have to live with.

Thanks again for your response.

Ubiquitous

class CfgMusic
{
tracks[]={Memento};

class Memento
{
name = "Memento";
sound[] = {"\music\song2.ogg", db+0, 1.0};
};
};

As an aside, I've read several tutorials that seemed to make a big deal about the music having to be constant bit rare, but i opened up the .ogg files from the BIS 'Ambush' mission and they seem to be encoded in Variable Bit Rate - and these are about the only tracks that I can get to work! :-\

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2003, 00:00:33 »
do you get a error message when it crashes?

Offline Capt Ryan

• Members
  • Heil Myself !
    • Capt Ryans World War II Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2003, 21:07:22 »

Not to be a smart a**  ::) But try this instead - Move it to class sound . A good idea anyway to ensure the music to play in intros , cutscenes as many players have music disabled . But to use with respect in the mission , nothing more anoying than trash metal pounding during action . I use this frequently to make "atmosphere" shortly before action or danger or after.

Ryan -

class CfgSounds
{
sounds[] = {Memento};

----------------------------------------------------

class Memento

{
      name = "Memento";
      sound[] = {"Memento.ogg", db+0, 1.0};
      titles[] = {   };
   };

};