Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: M-56 Sheridan Tank  (Read 1187 times)

plantationace

M-56 Sheridan Tank
« on: 15 Jun 2003, 22:13:32 »
I was wondering if anyone out there can make one of these.  I need one for a campaign I am making for Opflash 1.46.  Umm..Here is a link..

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m551a1.htm

I hope someone can do it.  It's fits into the Opflash world just right.

plantationace

Re:M-56 Sheridan Tank
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2003, 03:16:55 »
No one wishes to make this?  I am going to use it in my campaing, Red Storm Rising.   It has a 156 MM cannon, light armor...anyone?

bigdog632

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2003, 07:54:52 »
they sorta have one in the nam pack but it is a renamed M2 bradley
and i thought it wqas a 155mm cannon for braching walls and stuff or something

Vyper

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2003, 23:45:59 »
Ah the Sheridan.....feared by nobody and hated by all who sailed in her.....aparently atleast

Vyper

Eviscerator

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2003, 23:57:18 »
Ah the Sheridan.....feared by nobody and hated by all who sailed in her.....aparently atleast

Vyper

Actually the Sheridan was a pretty fearsome machine, its main gun could fire both normal rounds (HE/HEAT/'Beehive') and an ATGM called the Shillelagh, which was incredibly accurate considering the era in which it was developed, the 'Beehive' rounds i mentioned earlier contain 10,000 flechettes (1inch nails), and work pretty much like a very large nail bomb, by all accounts very effective against infantry and soft vehicles. The downside of the Sheridan was its susceptability to explosions, the rounds were comparitively easy to set off, which caused a lot of casualties.

Vyper

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2003, 13:30:57 »
Indeed that is what i heard, never realised it was so potent though.  Can nail bomb type things be simulated in OFP? I know you can get the claymore type thing, would it be the sameish?

Wasn't it replaced by the M3 Bradly though? or is that just my mind warping from all the alcohol a student is suppossed to drink?

Vyper

Eviscerator

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2003, 18:51:19 »
Indeed that is what i heard, never realised it was so potent though.  Can nail bomb type things be simulated in OFP? I know you can get the claymore type thing, would it be the sameish?

Wasn't it replaced by the M3 Bradly though? or is that just my mind warping from all the alcohol a student is suppossed to drink?

Vyper

It hasnt actually been replaced i think, just retired, it was an airborne tank, similar to the BMD series of the russians, the airborne just use humvees now, if i remember correctly the M8 AGS was going to be its replacement, but it was cancelled.

desert_storm_dude

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2003, 23:56:17 »
the last time the sheridan will ever be used was in 1991 Desert Storm.  The 82nd Airborne used them as scouts and were pretty affective against the iraqis the 82nd Airborne attacked the logistics base As-Salman.  They took the base in 1 day.  Now the airbornes use Hum-Vs.  The Hum-V was also very affective with the 82nd airborne.

I think they one there battles so easily was because they had about 35 armed choppers above them.  such as the Apache, Blackhawks, Kiowa Warriors, and Cobras i think.  With that much airpower anyone could win a battle even the FRENCH.

swift88

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2003, 00:23:25 »
i would but im too busy

swift88

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2003, 21:18:46 »
sorry i said i was busy, i have just found out that ive got to build the sheridan any way  :-\ so sorry.......................... any way im gonna crack on

swift88

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2003, 11:10:04 »
ive nearly finished the model for the m-56 sheri and will be posting a screen shot later on (model that is)  ;D

Frosty

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2003, 14:55:38 »
Apparantly the sheridan was a bit of a disappointment, just like the M60A2, but me and jakerod, our Red Tide campaign could use it. Looking forward to a screenie.