Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Cruisers n Big ol Battleships  (Read 7947 times)

calm_terror

Re:Cruisers n Big ol Battleships
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun 2003, 13:29:13 »
the US battle ships have 12, 16 inch 3 on each turret and there is 4 turrets, plus like 40 or so 9inch then aboot 30 30mm then you have the tomahawk missiles. oh and there is more smaller weapons too

p00_p00

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2003, 14:09:54 »
I agree with Kooky, WTF are you talking about poo_poo??    ::)   :P

Asmo

Excuse my poor English skillz, bad spelling n poor grammar: Cmon what u expect from an immigrant???

What i was sayying is "I dont understand Russian", however I know for sure that the musical score in the Russian Anthem and the musical score in the Hunt For Red October are completly different. Different Tune. But my lack of understanding in Russian makes it impossible for me to distinguish the lyrical verse, so I cant be 100% sure that IT IS NOT the Russian Anthem. Ud need a Russian 2 do that!

asmodeus

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2003, 14:57:27 »
lol poo_poo

Here's why I'm confused... You quoted me as saying this:

Ever heard of COC divers?  

http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/wetsuit.htm

You can swim in OFP, it's just not pretty.   ;)

Asmo

And then you started talking about music.. How does music have to do with my quote about being able to swim in OFP??   ;)

Excuse my poor English skillz, bad spelling n poor grammar: Cmon what u expect from an immigrant??

lol, I understand your English, it's just what you're quoting that doesn't make sense.   ;)

I think you were trying to quote DeLiltMon when he said:

If I remember rightly the opening music to Hunt for Red October is the Soviet National Anthem not a hymn

So... I was just trying to help make sense of the thread so that those that read this after me understand better than I did at first.   ;)

lol

Anyway, about making the US Battle Ships.. That'd be a scripting, modeling nightmare with 30+ guns of different sizes!   :o

If someone does it I'll check it out for sure, but I'm personally going to wait for OFP2 before I make a battleship or anything with more than 1 firing point.. There's plenty of stuff to make with what's available now, IMO.   ;)  (of course sometimes it's just the challenge itself that's fun for people, so do it if you can!)   8)

Asmo

p00_p00

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2003, 17:16:55 »
Oh Crap Crap

I did quote u by accident!!!
Whoopsy!!!!

Nah i think making a BS wouldnt be THAT hard. The BS need only 4 hard points, since each turret is a battery consisting of 3 cannons. Yes 4 turrets is still quite advanced, but If u have a look at the Pauk Fast Attack Boat (which i keep mentioning), it is VERY much possible as the creator used a seperate viechle addon to be placed on the main ship. Only problem is the turret remained on the ship even after you blew the main ship to hell and back (assuming your bombs didnt damage the turret), however the turret will just sink - but taking pot shots b4 sinking to a range where you can see the gunner, but they cant fire back. But I think it would be possible to make 4 turrets (On Front and Back of Ship, on top of each other), as well as walkable interior made by the Tales of War team: the LSD. I say its concievable, just needs a talented modder.

However we then have to add the Tomohawk launchers as well as the AA gun (the Phalanx plz!). So lets assume thats another 2-3 hard points.

PS
Too all the ship modders, make it realistic. Honestly 6 mavericks, AMRAMs or other heavy Anti Armour missiles SHOULD be able to take out a Battleship. Damn in Sum of All Fears, a single Mig missile (dont know what type) "almost" sunk the Aircraft Carrier!

Mr_Shady

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jun 2003, 18:16:29 »
Personally, I wouldn't download a battleship or a cruiser. Having been on a real frigate, I'd say that they're miles too big for OFP. Heck, a frigate's just shy of too big, really. Besides, I'm not really into ships myself, they don't float my boat  ;)

calm_terror

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jun 2003, 03:13:59 »
yes nightmare of guns the knowing the AI it would pulla 90day wonder and aim and fire 0-0-0 takign out the turrent infront of it.
 and a battleship does not need to move.
what i want is some spy satillites.
or a c2 bird (command and control) with a cam pointed down

rancor_man67

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jun 2003, 06:13:29 »
yes nightmare of guns the knowing the AI it would pulla 90day wonder and aim and fire 0-0-0 takign out the turrent infront of it.

Perhaps you could have the turrert raised a little so it can't point down at the one in front of it??

eg:

[-]
---[-]----/    \----

Key:
--- = deck
[-] = turrert
/   \ = platform/superstructure.

I still can't see how you can manovre such a big ship around the map through without grounding yourself.

Rancor.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2003, 06:14:37 by rancor_man67 »

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 19 Jun 2003, 09:03:07 »
the US battle ships have 12, 16 inch 3 on each turret and there is 4 turrets, plus like 40 or so 9inch then aboot 30 30mm then you have the tomahawk missiles. oh and there is more smaller weapons too

US Battleships recently ONLY had 3 Main turrets with 16inch (406mm), eachof 4 guns with a 2 turrets forward and 1 aft (with helo pad even further aft!!!)
They also had 5inch guns (127mm) in twin mounts 5 a side, although this was the original build and a few where removed when upgraded to take modern weaponary.

If you want 4 turrets (on a US Battleship) then you will have to back to ships built around 1910-1920, all of the US Navy post 1922 battleships where 3 turret affairs.

No ship built from the Dreadnought era has been built with 9inch guns, although before this I cant tell, my speciality is post dreadnought, US Navy ship also dont have 30mm, and havn't had for a very very long time.

There are thousands of different types of ship that can be doen, it all depeneds what you like to look at and what you actaully want it to do.
CBF Shipbuilding

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jun 2003, 09:08:02 »
Perhaps you could have the turrert raised a little so it can't point down at the one in front of it??

eg:

[-]
---[-]----/    \----

Isn't this amusing, this is exactly how they did it in real life, although for a different reason...

Think...

How do you get as many guns firing straight forward??, have no obstruction..
How do you get 2 turrets to fit in a small foredeck? have ones barrels over another!! (this took practice to get right as some of the early ships had 'B' Turrets guns so far over 'A' turret that when 'B' turret fired 'A' turret got damaged!!
CBF Shipbuilding

p00_p00

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jun 2003, 11:52:27 »
The Misouri had 4 turrets, 3 guns on each, 12 inches i think

I only had a small model but i think it had 4 turrets. Could be mistaken and had 3

Of course the turrets are raised!!!!!

Oh yeah forgot about the Heli pad.

Yeah i thought the bodies of water in OpFlash arnt big enugh, but still - neither were BF:1942, and the BShips and Destroyers still work wonders on those maps.

DeLiltMon

« Reply #40 on: 19 Jun 2003, 13:54:03 »
The Missouri (spell?) and the rest of the Iowa class had 16" guns

calm_terror

« Reply #41 on: 19 Jun 2003, 17:27:28 »
sorry to burst your bubble but battleshiops NEVER had helo pads. that area was for launching float plans they jsut removed the planes and said oh hey land helo's here. as for the guns yes i was wrong that actual is.. well here i will put the stats for one battleship i have been on the USS Alabama.

Displacement: 35,000 to 44,500 tons.
Length: 680 ft.
Beam: 108 ft. 2 in.
Height of truck light
above keel: 194 ft.
Design Draft: 33 ft. 8 in.
Actual weight when
fully loadedf: 42,500 tons.
Speed: 28 knots
Range: 15,000 Nautical miles at 15 knots
Crew: 127 Officers, 2,205 Enlisted Men
Armament:
9 16"/45 cal. Guns (3 turrets)
20 5"/38 cal. Guns (10 mounts)
48 40mm Guns (12 mounts)
52 20mm Guns
Armor:
Turret faces: 18 inches
Conning tower: 16 inches
Side armor: 12.2 inches, tapering to 1 inch at bottom.
Power Plants:
Horsepower: 130,000 hp
4 engine rooms. each carrying 2 boilers and 2 turbines. Four propellers, 2 five bladed and 2 four bladed, each weighing 18.2 tons.

there have fun triyng to build that in game..

swift88

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jun 2003, 23:13:36 »

this is uss missouri

this is uss iowa- see the heliad at the back

Mr_Shady

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jun 2003, 23:16:23 »
Bah, they're not that big in real life, it's all camera tricks and photoshopping!  ;D

swift88

« Reply #44 on: 19 Jun 2003, 23:18:28 »
makes us brits feel very small (lol)  >:(