Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Help:Kinda Noobey Question  (Read 1135 times)

Offline MadBafla

• Members
Help:Kinda Noobey Question
« on: 15 Apr 2010, 17:43:55 »
Hello ppl sorry to bother you but I'm new to coding.
I've searched the forums and site for a program that can give me the original names of objects, houses, vehicles etc. and if it can, even class them into subjects.

The closest thing I found was this but the problem is I'm working with a combined mod called "rebelde" which, if I understand it correctly, uses BAS, JAM and many more mods that I find hard to combine into one database.

If there is one, I'd appreciate if someone could link me to such program.
Thanks
MadBafla  :good:

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: Help:Kinda Noobey Question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2010, 19:56:43 »
Hmmm...

I've searched the forums and site for a program that can give me the original names of objects, houses, vehicles etc. and if it can, even class them into subjects.

The typeOf command will return the class name of a vehicle or object. Use the format command to display it on the screen:

Code: [Select]
hint format ["Class name is %1",typeOf soldier1]

and if it can, even class them into subjects.

I can't quite understand what you mean by this second part. You mean you want a bunch of units sorted into sets like "men," "tank", "helicopter?"

If there's a function on this website that will sort an array of units into arrays by type, then it's in the functions section of the editor's depot.

I think I know what would work, but it would be best if you could explain in more detail exactly what you want to do.
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline MadBafla

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:50:18 »
Sorry for the long delay
That might cause a problem.
What I'm trying to achieve is editing rebelde mod missions through the files and not editor because I find it easier.
The problems are the this mod uses several different mods in it and I can't keep track of all vehicles-soldiers-planes names and codes etc.
I want to know if there's a program that you enter to it the mods you wish to use in your mission and it shows you all the names of objects in those mods + the regular OFP objects (though they are not truly necessary cause I use the one on this site).

I want them divided to classes just to make it easier: I mean, replace a plane with a modded plane etc., thus searching will be faster, instead of looking for it in a full list (though I believe that with brains I can manage even without that)

Thanks again.
MadBafla   

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:23:26 »
In that case, I'm afraid I don't know of any such program. I always edit using the mission editor.  :(

Suggestions, in case you haven't tried these:

It should be possible to un-PBO the addon folders and take a look at the config.cpp file. This is where the class names for each unit are defined (and indeed, they should be sorted by type).

But actually, most mods have documentation containing the class names of all the weapons, men, and vehicles used. Have you looked there?

You can edit your mission.sqm file using a text editor that has a "find and replace" feature. Type in the string of the class name you want to replace, and the one you want to replace it with, and voila.
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)