Advertisement

Author Topic: [SP]First mission-patrolling party  (Read 3946 times)

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
Re: ist mission-patrolling party
« Reply #45 on: 28 May 2010, 02:25:13 »
@RKurtzDmitriyev thanks for suggesting to mboshell about what error he is making. :clap:

@ mboshell now man you can try this mission,  :D

Be happy.
ofp die-hard fan for whole life

Offline mboshell

• Members
« Reply #46 on: 28 May 2010, 10:44:44 »
I attempted to test this, but got error "no entry configbinworlds" and kicked to the menu.  It happens repeatedly.

Works fine for me. It sounds like you've only stuck the unzipped folder inside of the OFP missions directory. That's the only way I've ever gotten that error.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.  I've extracted the PBO file to the missions directory.  This is the way I've done all others.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #47 on: 28 May 2010, 12:28:20 »
I've downloaded version 5.0 and it has played fine for me as well. I'm sure you have but you may like to check again and make sure your PBO reads "patrolling party.Abel". That error means it can't find a configuration for the island in which your trying to load, which means the island extension is incorrect.

@GW
The music is still starting late for the beginning cutscene. It makes no matter, just thought you would like to know.

I noticed the text in the savegame trigger. Nice.

I didn't play further than the mines this time as I was only attempting to make sure it played for now. I'll test it further...later.

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #48 on: 28 May 2010, 19:27:41 »
i try to start music by making a civllian to enter into music trigger as fast,but it did't work as fast i expect
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 09:23:28 by h- »
Be happy.

Offline savedbygrace

• Mission Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #49 on: 29 May 2010, 02:42:52 »
Use "true" instead of "this" in the condition field of the trigger. That makes the trigger fire instantly at mission start. You don't need a radius when it is set to true like that.

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #50 on: 29 May 2010, 04:18:31 »
ok man,i will try that one now,when i will done than i will respond,thanks for suggestion.

#EDIT: No need to quote the entire previous post you're replying to..   h-
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 09:22:37 by h- »
Be happy.

Offline mboshell

• Members
« Reply #51 on: 31 May 2010, 12:44:45 »
Yes, the problem was my folder.  I pulled the pbo file out of the folder but I still had the folder in there.  I needed to remove the folder so it didn't show as a mission...duh...lol.

Tested in Resistance 1.96 on cadet difficulty

Briefing

I noticed you used "cautionally".  I'm not sure if this is the correct word to use.  I only know American English, where cautiously would be the proper word here. Other than that, perfect.

Intro

I don't know if this would be considered an intro because it came after the briefing, but the camera angles and music really fit in well here. 

Mission

OK, I've played it for two nights, do you think I finally finished it?  Absolutely not, this mission is hard!  The radio save definitely helped me get really far, though.  Thanks for adding that for me...lol.  Anyways, I finally got the furthest by moving through the mountains to the east of the road.  I think I completely bypassed the first engagement area with the question mark.  I turned and headed toward the camp when I was just far enough south to be on the flank.  I rolled through the mountains ever-so-slowly through the rough terrain.  I eventually came to another road that cut in front of me when I had my first engagement.  About a squad of enemys crossed the road to our right.  We mowed them all down and I quickly saved.  Then, I disembarked and moved with the infantry to the very top of the mountain for a little recon.  The valley below seemed dead, but then I spotted an m113 in the distance.  I quickly ran back to get the APC and roll it to the top of the hill to engage.  When we got to the other side where we could see, all of a sudden enemy infantry began appearing everywhere!  Half of my squad got nailed by grenades, and I was injured and crawling, but a couple of cannon rounds from the APC and objective completed!  I lost half my squad, but the APC took out the m113s for my first ever completed objective on this mission.  I was excited.  The only problem was the automatic save right after half my squad was annihilated meant that I would have to continue with half of my squad or start back from the beginning.  Anyway, next I tried to roll forward but just tumbled down the mountain in the APC and literally rolled  right into the enemy base, leaving my squad behind before I was annihilated by an RPG.  Back at the savepoint, I was able to edge my way down the mountain, but my squad was cut down by an MG that was planted on the next mountain.  With just my APC left, we were annihilated by an RPG.  Two more tries with similar results.  Then, I just decided to wait where I was, get out, and spot targets for the APC. I couldn't see anything after about 5 minutes, so I tried to carefully move forward-left to try to get to the highpoint of the next mountain.  Just as I got to the top and RPG came out of nowhere and nailed me.  A couple more tries with similar results, before I was somehow able to creep my way forward and eliminate a ton of enemies on the way to the next mountain.  I made it to the mountain safely with all of my men (that were left) alive so I saved game.  I really regretted it when I started taking fire from behind.  2 of my men went down as I rolled the tank backwards so the armor could protect my infantry, and then WAM, another RPG ended my run.  After a few more tries from the new save point that began me in a firefight, I just headed further inland to the next road east.  I made it there and then traveled south, parallel to the objective.  Since I was injured and my men were pretty banged up I figured I could get to that base that I was suppose to make it to after the objective and maybe there would be a medical tent.  On the way, saved the game and then couldn't resist the temptation to turn off road and assault the enemy directly from the left flank.  Since I had just saved, I didn't have much to lose.  I decided to mount all of my men in the APC and blitz into the enemy base before ordering the infantry to disembark and hold the base fighting.  It didn't work.  Another RPG nailed me.  Back at the save point, I now decided to do what I had planned and drive all the way to the friendly base to see if I could get medical attention for me and my squad.  I stayed on the road and drove to it to find that it was just a village.  There was no base, no friendlies, no medical tent.  There was, however, another group of soldiers with an RPG and WHAM! I was finished for the night. 

Closing Comments

I am so sorry that I still have yet to complete this mission.  I really enjoy the heck out of it.  Things are really coming together nicely.  My only complaint is that there are just too darn many RPG soldiers which makes it very difficult for me.  Perhaps, next time, I will try to counter that by assaulting on foot, but the APC is a very tempting deathtrap. 

I'll get it one day.  Excellent work on this mission!     

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #52 on: 01 Jun 2010, 04:23:51 »
@mboshell
thanks for playing my mission,its looks like you are not a good player of ofp yet,but if you keep trying then you can one da definitely become a ofp good player,like me.you know in cwc campain after montiec mission i struck for 4 months,when i passed that mission that day i feel big relief,
if you try to pass this mission with your foot than it is not hard to pass.remember never afraid from die,if you play this mission with any fear than you can pass it very easliy,always make your soldiers in stealth position,by the way you can use machine gunner very effectively,
Be happy.

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #53 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:23:36 »
This time I used simple strategy to avoid the mines - since BMP is amphibious vehicle I used it to "swim" alongside with my squad (with exception of stubborn number 4 who refused to board the BMP).
A BMP can transport 8 soldiers in addition to 3 crew - hence it can only carry 11 members of your squad.

Patrolling Party v5.0
Veteran mode: Completed in 57 minutes, Score ~11,400
Lots of kills using the G36, and later M21, but killed a few times by lone machinegunners (not M2)

Readme, overview and briefing present :check:
All objectives ticked off :check:
Scoring system in place :check:

Overview
 - Go on! Have a go at adding a picture - after all, you can always find a better one later.

Briefing
 - Lots of questions, but they can each be answered by a sentence in the briefing:
      why have the Americans / NATO invaded Malden?
      by what means? (presumably amphibious ie. from a ship)
      why is the player fighting them?
      how do we know that their HQ is located there?
      how do we know to expect 5 officers?
      why are we to go to Goisse?
 - I have no idea where the other squad and T-55s are moving from. Place markers to show where they start.
 - I am not too happy with the squad:
      give the player a rank such as Lieutenant
      make at least one other a Sergeant with higher skill
      consider including a medic

Mission
 - when I played first, I didn't realise the BMP was there for me to use
 - I came across at least one enemy group standing in Safe mode. I scattered them with an RPG.
      I suggest putting the groups on the near side of the HQ to HOLD (ie. defend),
      then those on the far side should be on GUARD (ie. counter-attack).
      None should be in Safe mode, they are invaders after all.
 - not wild about lone machine-gunners - they killed me too often.
 - no chatter between friendly groups. In the Init field of the leader enter:
         secondsquad = group this
      then in the On Activation field of triggers and waypoints, you can put:
         leader secondsquad sideChat "We are entering the enemy zone."
      and so on...
 - consider making it easier to get past the mines: adjust their probability of presence to 50 - 60 %

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #54 on: 09 Apr 2012, 15:38:46 »
i implemented all the recommendation ,made by Walter_E_Kurtz
i hope this time now i get succes in giving final touch to the mission,

Changes in Version
-one medic added to squad
-given higher corporal rank to medic and machine-gunner
-group near the hq on hold waypoint
-no squad in safe position
-squad far from hq on guard mode
-chat between friendly unit to make sure that they are still alive.
-overview picture added
-mine presence set to 60-70 %
Be happy.

Offline Gruntage

• How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
Re: [SP]Fist mission-patrolling party
« Reply #55 on: 09 Apr 2012, 16:09:37 »
Will give this one a run-through later on  :good: First time playing this mission, should be fun...

Ok, I'll do this review as I'm playing it (makes remembering certain details much easier)

Played on OFP v1.96 on Veteran, no mods active

Overview

Fairly basic picture that is a little pixelated, but does convey the plot to some extent. I would definately try and improve the image (there's a few tutorials around that can help). The title 'patrolling party' should be separate from the rest of the text. It should read:

Patrolling party

NATO starts to make a foothold on Malden, so it's time to act

Personally I would add some more text to provide more information as to what the mission is about. Plenty of work is needed to improve the overview.

Intro

None. Would have liked to have seen one. Perhaps this is something you can add in the next version? There's a few tutorials lying around that can help you learn the basics of camera scripting.

Briefing

Fairly standard BIS-style briefing, but provides enough info. I would have wanted to have seen a little background, similar to what W.E.K has suggested. Good to see a gear selection that seems appropriate for the task at hand.

Mission

Some quite nice camera shots to begin with. So, perhaps you could do something similar for the intro? Anyway, I would put a 'savegame' after the cinematic concludes, so that the player does not have to watch the cinematic again should they retry the mission (oops, noticed the radio savegame, oh well, would be good to see a 'savegame' done for you in case you forget to use 0-0-1). The mission itself is quite enjoyable, simple, but fun. For the sake of beta testing it is good that you have included a repeating savegame radio, but when this mission is eventually released, I would have it so that the player only has a few savegames at his disposal (this would make the mission more challenging). I would probably increase the skill of the enemy units as well when this mission is released. It took me about 30 mins to complete the mission, but if what I said was implemented I can see this mission taking longer and being quite challenging indeed. It reminded me a lot of Aldo's 'Rescue' mission.

Outro

Would have liked to have seen a conclusion to the story. Some simple shots like the cinematic at the start of the mission is all that's needed for this.

Overall

This mission is bug-free, which means that the only stuff needed are special features, additional cinematics. As it stands you have the skeleton of a good mission, now you need to begin adding the rest of the components needed. I enjoyed playing it, and I look forward to whatever changes you make.

Happy editing!

Gruntage
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2012, 21:25:29 by Gruntage »
Some of the most memorable missions made involve the player doing very little...

"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP]First mission-patrolling party
« Reply #56 on: 12 May 2012, 16:34:37 »
Hey, here's my feedback for the mission.

Overview

The overview is ok - the picture is a bit grainy but it does it's job.

Intro

The intro is very short and basic, just showing what appears to be the enemy HQ and a few soldiers.

Briefing

The briefing is solid work, is provides all the necessary info plus a small weapons selection. Use of map markers is also good.

Mission

Incredibly hard. You start at the beach with a BMP close by that you can use. A platoon of T55 already sets off towards the enemy objective, and it is practically impossible to keep up with them. What I did was to let 2 squadmates board the BMP and proceeded on foot, to have some armored fire support. The first stretch of the mission is very boring as there is nothing going on.

But once close to the ? makers, all hell broke loose, many enemies are attacking, and I did not succeed to keep the BMP alive. The T55 also fell victim to either the enemy RPG gunners or mines. Towards the HQ, many squads were thrown at the player, so the fight was a very though one. At the HQ, I managed to conquer and use a M2, and more through a stroke of luck, my squad destroyed one M113 and disabled the second, so I was able to cut down the enemy infantry undisturbed.

A few more enemy squads and lone machine gunners later, we arrived at Goisse, which proved to be empty - which was almost a relief ;).
The mission ended there with no further attack.

Outro

An outro is missing from this build.

Conclusion

Very challenging mission that is bug-free and long.

Recommendations

-Cinematics can be improved
-I would like to see the enemy a bit more spread, e.g. smaller enemy squads early on in the mission, and cutting down the size of enemy squads later on.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2012, 16:49:13 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #57 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:58:48 »
mission-patrolling party version 5.00
by-gw
requirement-ofp goty
description-nato start making foothold in malden,wipe them before establishing foothold,
changes in version 6.0
-divided enemy squads in smaller squads
-some new surprises

some new changes in mission i made as suggested by mathias_eichinger
Be happy.

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: 17 Dec 2012, 22:27:30 »
y Feedback for version 6.0:

Package

The Readme says it's version 7.0, so please correct either the thread or the ReadMe.

Overview

Picture is still blurry. There needs to be a . and an empty space between the first and the second sentence of the overview text.

Intro

Pretty basic camera angles, I would call it an OK intro though.

Briefing

Tells me everything I need, plus I got a tiny weapons selection which is another plus. Not sure about typos though, should be checked with a native speaker to be sure.

Mission

Contrary to last time, the patrols were more even spread, and smaller, so I had constant action but never felt overwhelmed - well done here. Goisse was alive with a few soldiers.

Outro

Still not done.

Conclusion

Well made mission of light to moderate difficulty that is enjoyable.

Recommendations

Spot and eliminate the typos in the Overview and possible Briefing.

Offline Gruntage

• How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
« Reply #59 on: 07 Jan 2013, 16:27:59 »
Anymore updates to be made on this?

I'll give it a run-through sometime this week. If I can't detect any bugs and there isn't anymore planned work to be done on it, I'll give it a review.
Some of the most memorable missions made involve the player doing very little...

"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba