Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Way to Place Triggers in Order?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline NoVaSpY

• Members
Way to Place Triggers in Order?
« on: 17 Jan 2010, 01:37:02 »
I'm having a huge frustrating issue with placing triggers.  One always seems to override the other.  If I start a map with my character inside a small 20x20 trigger, it works just fine.  As soon as I place another small trigger away from my start position, it activates instead of the first one I'm in.  Why does the trigger farther away from me activate when I'm not in that circle?  I want to set up these triggers so that they only activate when I get in the circle.  Isn't that the point of having a radius and being able to make them smaller so they won't easily activate prematurely?  Any help will be appreciated.  Trying to search for topics like this in here or on Google, just seems impossible.

In short, all I want to do is:

I want to simply guide the player along with the use of text, like a role playing game.  If he gets near a jeep, I want a text trigger to say whatever.  When he nears a certain person, I want a text trigger to react and so on.

Sometimes I get two out of three triggers to work but the third, using the same choices as the first two, doesn't work at all.  Is this a game bug or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010, 02:09:57 by NoVaSpY »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: Way to Place Triggers in Order?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:13:57 »
I'm still having trouble picturing what you're trying to do here. Perhaps if you attached a copy of your mission.sqm (look under additional options), I could figure out the problem.

There should be no problem with having multiple triggers on a map. Most missions have a few dozen.
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline NoVaSpY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:48:10 »
Ok, I don't have a mission yet, I'm just messing around with the triggers first.  This is my test:

I'll place 4 jeeps on a map.  I use 1x1 radius triggers and place one ontop of each jeep.  Each trigger uses the text effect and displays whatever I want when the character enters the jeep.  One trigger says "This is jeep 1", the other says "This is jeep 2".  This appears to work telling me that when my character enters that 1x1 radius, that particular trigger's text is displayed onscreen, which is what I want.

Then...I'll place a civilian dude somewhere else and I'll put a 1x1 radius trigger ontop of him, expecting him to "say his line" when I come up to him, entering that radius.  Using the same fields as the other triggers, something different happens. Either that trigger's text comes up as soon as I start the map, or I get nothing at all when approach him....way too weird if you ask me considering 4 different triggers on that same map, worked just fine until I added this 5th one...

Ok, I'm learning slowly...I just found out if I put the same kind of trigger on open ground, the text comes up no matter where I am when I start the map, meaning it's not activated by me entering the radius.  If I drag that trigger onto an object like a chair and go near the chair, no text is displayed.  BUT, if I add another type of jeep and drag that same trigger onto it, the text appears only when I enter the jeep and start driving.

This is most frustrating and I'm thinking I'm going about this the wrong way.  Is there another method to place onscreen text only when I want it to?  I figured it would be as simple a placing a trigger circle and having the text popup only when a designated character enters it but it isn't working out as planned...
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010, 03:22:24 by NoVaSpY »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2010, 04:20:26 »
I made a little mission as you described, and it seems to work. It's attached, just stick the folder in users > NovaSpy > missions. Words are displayed whenever you enter a jeep, and when you approach the civilian. The eastern column of jeeps was given triggers as you described.

The western column of jeeps works with slightly different triggers. The condition field of each trigger has "player in jeep5" (or jeep6, etc) instead of "this." This line of code tells the trigger to fire if and only if the player has mounted a unit with name jeep5. This is more elegant and convenient than placing tiny 1 x 1 triggers over every jeep. Also, I used the titleText command in the On Activation field of this second group of triggers, for similar reasons.

I'm not sure what went wrong with your effort. Are you sure that the conditions for the trigger near the civilian is correct? Also, 1 x 1 radius triggers are very small, and triggers work by updating every 0.5 seconds or so. That means that if you can dash across the radius between update cycles, the trigger will never fire. It is quite possible to do this with a 1 x 1 trigger.

Is there another method to place onscreen text only when I want it to?  I figured it would be as simple a placing a trigger circle and having the text popup only when a designated character enters it but it isn't working out as planned...

Well, the titleText command gives exactly the same effect as a trigger with effects > text. But, of course, in order to make this command run when a specific event occurs, you'll need to put it in a trigger or a looping script, and a looping script is like a more easily-modified trigger. ;)

Anyway, here's the little "mission" I made (it has no end, don't bother trying to find one). Hope it works.  :)
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline NoVaSpY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2010, 04:52:39 »
Hey, thanks very much for that effort-full response!  Your mission worked as how I wanted mine too.  Now I did figure out a way to make sure the trigger activated when I wanted it to by selecting Groups and then dragging a line from the trigger to my character and then choosing Activation by Group Leader...

Thanks again for your help, you can't get better help than having a mission sent to you, haha.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2010, 07:44:20 by NoVaSpY »

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:34:15 »

Im glad you found a solution to your problem.  One thing I wanted to add just for future reference is that in the Trig that is grouped with you it is not required you put activated by Group Leader. 

If a Trig is grouped to you, or anyone else then the grouped individual is who will set it off.  The Group Leader activation is handy if you want a particular set of units to activate a Trig but theres the possibility of some of them getting killed. 

Just an FYI so you dont place double conditions in a Trig and get weird results like I do.