Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ARMA2 Texturing Tip  (Read 20367 times)

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
ARMA2 Texturing Tip
« on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:27:13 »
Hey guys,

I found out by accident a better way (in most cases) to retexture vehicles in ARMA2. See my problem here where my vehicle was, no matter what I done, not being retextured. It always textured it as the default one. After checking the model was fine I snooped into the config and found that there are set 'hidden' selections. These are selections (parts of a model) that can have the texture changed, and by default are hidden.

What does this mean?
Well, it appears to save space for some of the vehicles, BIS have defined the main exterior texture of many of the vehicles. This way they wont need multiple P3D Model files of the same thing, just different texture paths. However doing this it also benefits those looking into rexturing vehicles, as not much skill aside from creating the texture (or more modifying the original) is needed.

Benefits? What are 'hidden' selections?
The benefits are that you wont need to know any addon or config skills if you want a simple retexture for a one off mission. More importantly it can keep your mission addonless!
If you want to release a retexture as in a PBO addon form, you just need basic scripting knowledge. However, that's for another time maybe (3:23am here!). You don't need to edit the P3D, unlike before (where the model stays the same, you are just changing texture paths - P3D files arn't small!) just a script to define what the new texture is.

How does it work?
Easy!

this setObjectTexture [0,"TextureFileName.paa"]

That's it! That's all the code you need to retexture a vehicle (see the list below) to your own paa texture.

The texture file name is simply the texture in your mission folder. If it is in the same folder as the mission.sqm, then just put the name and the extension (must be .PAA and maybe .PAC). If you put it in a folder in your mission then you need to reflect that in your texture path.

That's all there is to getting your own custom texture of a vehicle in game, in your very own mission. It's also great for quickly tweaking textures and viewing them. Before, you had to close ArmA, repbo your addon, put in your addons folder, restart ArmA and then view your mission. This time you dont even have to close your mission editor. This saves me about a minute each time I change my texture and need to view it in game.

What vehicles allow me to do this?
I've made a list of mainly the cars, and done a quick check on the armoured/aircraft etc for those that accept this method. If I've missed any please let me know. Also make sure you use the correct variant I say. The VAZ (White) wont work, but the VAZ (Red) will. Same with the 'Car' (Skoda 105) and

* BM-21 Grad (Partially, the front cab changed textures but others didnt change maybe changing the 0 to a 1 in the setObjectTexture code might allow this as well as the other partial retextured models)
* Bus
* Car (White)
* VW Golf (Hatchback)
* HMMVW (Partially)
* Motorcycle
* MTVR
* Offroad Tan (aka Coyota)
* Old Hatchback
* Pickup (Aka Datsun)
* Praha V3S
* Sedan
* UAZ
* Ural (Partially, front cab only)
* Utility Truck
* Vaz (Red)

* HMMVW Ambulance (Partilally, seems transparent in places)
* Ural Fuel (partially, front cab)
* Ural Ammo (see above)
* Ural Repair (see above)
* Utilitiy vehicles and other trucks (see above)

* Some of the aircraft
* Some Armourd vehicles
* None of the boats

-----------------

Remember..

* Addons must be a certain format n^2 x n^2. That means 16x16, 32x32, 128x256, 512x16 etc. Your texture MAY work without these sizes, however, as I found out from experience, ATI graphics card users will crash out after exiting a vehicle when this texture is used (weird I know, but thats what it does).
* The file must be a valid PAA texture format. I'm not sure about PAC, although I don't think thats used much anymore (not seen any PAC textures yet). You can convert textures using TexView, a program part of the BI Tools package.
* The file must be at least in your mission folder where the mission.sqm is for it to work OR at least in a PBO with a basic config somewhat (for those who want to make an addon).

Hopefully this benefits people, and helps people when it comes to texturing in ARMA2. It surely saves me about a minute everytime I tweak a texture. It also allows me to release less addons for a mission (or any at all!).

Regards,
Jason
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2009, 04:45:18 by JasonO »

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Re: ARMA2 Texturing Tip
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2009, 06:57:07 »
Very nice tut JasonO.  :clap: :good:

I am helping to spread the word.  :D

Offline modEmMaik

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2009, 16:20:06 »
Me too  :D

Specially, because this also works on A1, too  :cool2:

Myke and Cyborg11 also included the features in their addons. I will also update the NH90's config in the future to include this feature and update some other stuff.

Thanks and BR,
mike

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:59:37 »
It works in ArmA1 too? Didn't think it did as I never had the same problem I had in ArmA2. Interesting :)

Offline modEmMaik

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2009, 13:14:50 »
Yepp, I have modified the M2A2 RACS / OFP style retexes to hiddenSelectionTextures style.

There were some discussions about the hiddenSelectionTexture in the past, but only a few people worked it out (myke did it on some posters). So it was rather a non-public feature  :dunno:

Offline scud

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2009, 10:55:20 »
Sounds very simular method I used for this ArmA release
http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=news&id=1777
Demo mission there shows how to change camo using same as you described.
In my cfg I have
hiddenSelections[]={"camo"};
Prolly simular setup to what A2 uses, obviously A2 would be more refined.
 :scratch: and to think ppl get paid for this
Those that know - say nothing. Those that know nothing - tell all.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2009, 15:35:03 »
 Been trying this out with vaious units and animals , saves a lot of time for retexture of unit.
 some examples of  other classes that will work with the above setobjecttexture code are

Cow
USMC_Soldier_Sniper
USMC_SoldierS_Spotter
USMC_LHD_Crew_Base
RU_Soldier_Sniper
RU_Soldier_Spotter
GUE_Worker2
GUE_Woodlander3
Ins_Worker
Ins_Woodlander1
Citizen

there are more i will update when i go back to that part of the config.
 Basicly to change  you need to use worldeaters scrpt to out put the config, look at the part that says ( you must look for this section within the right class that you want to change of course).

hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {
        "\ca\characters2\civil\citizen\data\Citizen_v2_co.paa"
      };
 unpbo that pbo get a copy of the texture , use T_D uncompressor , load it up in textview 2 , save as tga , modify to suit in any photo editor re save as paa in textvew 2 and then either make a small custom unit config or place the texture in a maission and use :

this setObjectTexture [0,"TextureFileName.paa"]

to apply the texture to the unit.  done.

here is a basic cfg that should be ok to make the addon versiion just fix paths and inheritance names.

Code: [Select]
#define private 0
#define protected 1
#define public 2

#define true 1
#define false 0

#define TEast 0
#define TWest 1
#define TGuerrila 2
#define TCivilian 3
#define TSideUnknown 4
#define TEnemy 5
#define TFriendly 6
#define TLogic 7

class CfgPatches {
class my_new_soldiers {
units[] = {};
weapons[] = {};
requiredVersion = 0.100000;
requiredAddons[] = {};
};
};

class CfgFactionClasses {

class my_newfaction {
displayName = "my newSoldiers";
priority = 0;
side = 1;
};
};

class CfgVehicles {

class   USMC_SoldierS_Spotter; // the base class i am inheriting from

class my_new_Soldier: USMC_SoldierS_Spotter
{
scope = 2;
accuracy = 3.9; // accuracy needed to recognize type of this target
model = "\ca\characters2\Ghillie_Overall"; // model = "model path to chosen class";
displayName = "my new soldier";
faction = my_newfaction;
hiddenSelections[] = {
        "Camo"
      };
      hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {
        "\ca\characters2\data\ghillie_overall1_co.paa"
      }; //change this path to your new texture

portrait = "\Ca\characters\data\portraits\comBarHead_common_sniper_ca";
      picture = "\Ca\characters\data\Ico\i_null_CA.paa";
      weapons[] = {
        "M16A4_acg",
        "NVGoggles",
        "Throw",
        "Put",
        "ItemMap",
        "ItemCompass",
        "ItemWatch",
        "ItemRadio",
        "Binocular"
      };

magazines[] = {
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "HandGrenade_West",
        "HandGrenade_West",
        "smokeshell",
        "smokeshellYellow"
      };
      respawnMagazines[] = {
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "30Rnd_556x45_Stanag",
        "HandGrenade_West",
        "smokeshell",
        "smokeshellYellow"
      };
      respawnWeapons[] = {
        "M16A4_acg",
        "NVGoggles",
        "Throw",
        "Put",
        "ItemMap",
        "ItemCompass",
        "ItemWatch",
        "ItemRadio",
        "Binocular"
      };

};
};

« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2009, 16:45:02 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline hamis

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:38:30 »
Is there hiddenselections for markings/random numbers too?

Offline modEmMaik

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2009, 13:31:05 »
BI models do not include markings / randomnumbers, but you may reuse the concept to apply default numbers / markings, which can be altered in a mission.sqm or script (using the setObjectTexture command) on custom models.

Offline larsiano

• Members
    • Battlegroup-=XTRA=-
« Reply #9 on: 02 Apr 2011, 02:18:00 »
Sorry to be digging up such an old fossile but i was wondering if it ever became clear what vehicles can use this function? It would be great if you can make a Red vs. Blue Harrier mission where all the planes have a different texture. But it does not seem to work :(

Offline KBourne

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2012, 01:15:22 »
Hi,

Sorry to drag this topic up again. I hope this isn't against regulations, the reason why I drag this topic back up is because I'm interested to know how to re-texture the US Delta's in to a Woodland camo texture within my mission development.

After a wide search on the Internet e.g. google search, I wasn't able to find a lot of info about how where and what I need to do, in exception of this post but at this point you might say that I am a noob especially if it comes towards addons, texturing etc.

I know we have the nice BB units that I can use to replace the units but I am focusing to develop my missions without the need of any addons for the end User if possible.

The reason that I want to use Delta woodland units:

Firstly the mission will take place on aether Chernarus or the new upcoming DLC map.
Secondly the Arma2 units cant Cary backpacks while the OA units can and the scenario requires the use of backpacks for the players character.   
Third Woodland fits better withing the Chernarus environment.

If anyone is able to explain me or give me more detailed info in how to apply textures trough mission editing you can contact me trough PM here or at the bis forums.

Thanks in advance ..

Kind regards   

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2012, 13:55:43 »
The texture file name is simply the texture in your mission folder. If it is in the same folder as the mission.sqm, then just put the name and the extension (must be .PAA and maybe .PAC). If you put it in a folder in your mission then you need to reflect that in your texture path.

Offline VXF-VOLT

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2015, 04:44:22 »
This thread has some helpful texturing tips and I thank all of you for the insight.

Is there an Arma 2 step by step texturing tutorial ?

Thanks.