Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Using the laser designator  (Read 1472 times)

Offline LEGION7698

• Members
Using the laser designator
« on: 19 Mar 2009, 17:11:47 »
Hello all,

A while ago i played the merlin training mission and loved the use of the laser designator to guide in bombs dropped from the harriers.  So i though i'd figure out how to do this but no matter how much i searched through various forums (i'm useless at searching so if it is around i'll say sorry now) i've come up with nothing.

So my question is how do i use this feature, without having to use addons or having the harrier in my own squad.

Sorry if this is a real noobish question but even after playing with ArmA and ofp since they where released i'm still pants at scripting anything but the most basic of things and even then struggle.

Regards,

LEGION7698

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: Using the laser designator
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2009, 21:17:35 »
The way the LaserDesignator works is this:

It creates a target for the harriers at the spot that you are currently lighting with the designator.

As long as the harriers are close by, they will move in and drop bombs on that target, if they are not too preoccupied with more dangerous enemies at the moment.

The harriers thus don't need to be in your group at all and you don't need addons.
It solves itself anyway... kind of.

Try it!

Laggy
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2009, 21:21:12 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline LEGION7698

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2009, 21:34:55 »
Hello Laggy,

Thank you for your response, i have tested it out with the harrier close by and your right is does work.  However at the risk of being a pain in the backside is there a way to do it with the harrier at a much greater distance, as when i tried using the said method its to far away to see the target.

So my next question is this, is there a way of transmitting the target information to the harrier thats at a great distance, have it come in, destroy the target then fly away again.  I'm aware you can do this via map click but can you do it via laser designator, or perhaps a merging of the two.

If not then not a problem, just thought it would be a cool feature to add to the missions i make for me and my mate play online.

Regards,

LEGION7698

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2009, 22:13:16 »
Via the designator... as far as i know NO.

A mapclick or move command is my suggestion.
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2009, 22:22:22 »
If you use SPON Rangefinder (addon or mission-script), there is a SPON event raised on all machines when a laser is turned on.

Look in the demo mission init.sqf to see how to use this. In the example, I place smoke at the position that the laser is fired at and then turn off the smoke when the laser is turned off again. You could easily use this to trigger a plane being sent to that position.

I think Mando Missiles has a similar system, but I wouldn't have a clue how to hook into it.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline LEGION7698

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2009, 08:56:07 »
Hello guys,

Thanks for the help, i still hav'nt got it working how i want however i'll get my mate to come over as he understands these things better than me and see if we can get it working (again my ignorance of the ArmA language strikes again).

Regards,

LEGION7698