Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Destructible Building proof of concept  (Read 9874 times)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
Destructible Building proof of concept
« on: 21 Jun 2008, 12:26:04 »
Hi all,
 First let me point out this a proof of concept and not a beautiful game changing addon that will be dynamic and fully destructible.

The download
 1 x newhut.intro pbo mp template containg 4 playable units (requires 1.114)
 1 x Hut placed in editor , ready to use and for copy and paste to other missions
 1 x dbo_hut.pbo

The request
 I would like feedback from owners of dedicated servers about the following Please.

1 How does the uploaded template play as is
 2. does destruction cause desync from  a, bullets , b , satchels ,c armour shells and plane rockets
 3. please unpbo mission and copy paste more buildings until a maximum is found where stability of dedicated server is no longer when :
 A, there are simply to many buildings .
 B, when _x amount of huts are blown same time
 C, when _x amount of buildings are placed  and only one wall is simply shot

Thanks to all who may get involved in advance , your feedback is very important

when i can establish what are parameters for such a system i can .
 1 . place right numbers in visitor directly without compromise dedicated serves
 2.  work on more buildings with right kind of attributes for added gameplay enhancement
 3. tweak and add more destruction to each buildings Via rtms and Effects .

Known issue to date - rtms are not very neat , need work to make better looking
                                It is not XEH compatible at this stage due to eliminating possible side effects
 i would like to mention that this work contains  ideas and scripts either origianlly by or made in conjunction with.

Linker split co worker on - anims and config ,overall idea
Al simmons original brick model (modified again by me )
MaddogX reworked of his helicopter dammage effect.sqf
dj frogstar
finally BIS for there mlod of the hut carcus.

I would appreciate it if all feedback can be contained here in this thread and if for now we could not discuss the beauty /prteey (or lack of ) for now but simply performance in dedicated servers .
 Thanks once again

link courtesy of Mr burns @ armed-assault.de
 DeanosBeano

P.S this is not part of my dynamic destruction project for singleplayer, for which there would be many more thankyous.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2008, 16:35:45 by DEANO »
I love ofp

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
  • We are no longer the knights who say "Ni!"
Re: Destructible Building proof of concept
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2008, 06:31:35 »
ok, I tried it on my server and I didn't have any problems (yet??)
secondly, when I un-PBO'ed it I place 15 buildings on and had NO problem.... I'm sure I could have placed more but I was getting sleepy!
lastly, the only this was as you stated earlier, the rtm's need work.

overall great concept!  :clap:   I seem to remember someone trying this for OFP as well.

TCM

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2008, 11:13:10 »
Hi TCM,
 Thanks for the feedback so far , i am working on the rtms as we speak .

If you have MSN or or other  im then pls pm me and i will have another building ready later today maybe you can test
 that too , i will also have signage and wall replacement pack ready for the end of this week hopefully and once the feedback is coming in and i can set some defining parameters i will , think about releasing a full building pack replacement .

Yes other people including myself tried to do this in ofp but Bis have kindly let us inherit and define alot better in arma ,so we dont have make so many workarounds , which was what held it all back in OFP.

cheers
 DB

I love ofp

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2008, 22:15:13 »
I don't have MSN, if you'd like, just email me your latest and greatest I'll give it a spin!  :good:

TCM

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2008, 23:20:45 »
 Cheers mate

will do , its going to be tomorrow tho , looks like the wind is attempting to create some RL destruction here in northern England tonight, i been battening down the hatches .

been working on wood and glass too for mp , , because i have a massiv base of sp stuff already i should be able to get things moving with your feedback ,.

material test
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-AZYs2U_LI

« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2008, 23:34:07 by DEANO »
I love ofp

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2008, 00:34:49 »
i'm really liking where this is going.

keep up the good work!

:)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2008, 21:27:44 »
Hi all,
 First let me point out this a proof of concept and not a beautiful game changing addon that will be dynamic and fully destructible.

its the same as before with some changes as follows .

1 i have added a new little bus stop kind of building , i have done this to test some new materials such as wood and glass.

2 . i have added a single wall which is not in two parts , but you can blast a hole in it and it still retains it geometry .
  this is probably the most important part of this release because if this works ok then i can release a real building ,with rodways and paths that will remain intact for ai and human use even when it has a hole or a full wall or even corner blown out.

3. i have place and unpbo mission for easier copy and paste .

4 the mission this tme is to blow the two tanks outside the wall nrth and south , using ai and kill sniper and grenadier in the west hill . i want to see if ai acknowledge the hole and will attempt to shoot the tanks via the hole.

5 please note i have exagerated the effects on the wall when shot by bullets ,this is to determine any lag and if it does then i will add exit if server to future release and see how that goes ..

thanks for any feedback , i am hoping for a little more this time though :(.

propper link will appear when i get in touch with mr Burns.

known issues

coping stones on wall have no face from underneath
 bus stop is not complete

I have removed any complicated rtms for now, just a simple move away rtm is in place.

If anyone should host this , please can you be sure to link this thread for feedback and there is no need really to post below that you have linked it , just be sure to link this thread.

thanks  in advance

Temporary link

DeanosBeano

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2008, 22:37:46 by DEANO »
I love ofp

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2008, 19:48:15 »
well, I tried it....with mixed results.  ???  Sometimes an AI will shoot through the hole and other times I think they get confused!!   :D It's Almost as if the AI doesn't see the target specified. The bricks look much better though. I'm going to try a few things after class today and I'll get back to you. Keep up the great work!

TCM

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2008, 21:50:25 »
 cheers mate, i will take a look , it may just be how i have set the walls out in that template , can ya do me a favour , place one wall with a bluefor oneside and a opfor other side , both facing wall try to space them back far enough they dont know eachother is at opposite side of wall , make yourself a playable civi so you can watch  .

call the wall bob

and make radio alpha trigger 

onactivation bob setdammage 1

save to mp and try on ya dedi

see if they shoot through wall after hole appears .

i appreciate your feedback mate cheers. i have alreday started on full enterable building with 2 floors 8 rooms and lots of destruction ;). should be here sunday.
 if it works i will make every building on nicholas bells schmalfelden island destructible .
I love ofp

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2008, 19:22:14 »
ok, sorry for the delayed response, I started my summer courses and things are alittle hectic!  :confused:

I did as you requested and worked nicely!  :clap:

TCM

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2008, 18:54:18 »
No worried and no rush mate .
 I will be adding these things direct to the map via visitor this week and will pm you with a link for the test , this will be the big one ;).
 if this works then i will start full scale environment destruction with some terrain destruction thrown in .

watch this space.

gimme until  thursday and watch out for a linker split release he should have some more destructible environment in his new island hopefully.

once again thanks for ya feedback .

DB

I love ofp

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2008, 20:08:45 »
Hi all, or should i say TCM the sole feedback chap .
 Here is a quick update same as before with one extra wall which leaves debris on the battle field. once again any dedi server owner feedback much appreciated.

all terms of dl are as before in the read me .

thanks in advance

DB

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TTdFck80YXlsMHpIRGc9PQ
I love ofp

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jul 2008, 20:44:19 »
You have an error in your script:
'this addMagazine "M136"'
Bool, expected object.

Also ArmA freezed while trying. I was shooting another hole in the wall and then my client crashs.
Server is still running.
These are the lines in RPT before the minidump:
Code: [Select]
Cannot request geometry - no source (302 vertices, 302 loaded)
Cannot request geometry
Cannot request geometry
Cannot request geometry
Cannot request geometry
Cannot request geometry

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jul 2008, 22:29:50 »
hmm cheers for report

i never had any probs before with that script , but thats a small thing i guess. i only left it in as a way for people to blow up without havint to restart.

can you tell me if your shooting a hole in the sand coloured wall or the black one please ?
 this error dosent show in normal none dedicated . so i cant tell if its the new all ,that leaves debris . i suspect it is though.

I love ofp

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jul 2008, 01:20:40 »
It's a bit difficult:
I was destroying the column bus shelter until one was left (and it still stands ;) ).
Then I just shot in the wild. It should be a sand coloured wall.

To the scripterror:
It only came up when shooting with the rifle, not when shooting with the AT.