Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP/QG] Sutech  (Read 4041 times)

Offline EMSI

• Members
    • ArmA2 web (SK/CZ/ENG)
(Review Completed) [SP/QG] Sutech
« on: 15 Apr 2008, 09:34:56 »
Basic info:
- recomended minimal version of ArmA is 1.08 with Queen's Gambit datadisc
- full compatibility with v1.12 BETA Patch
- this mission is direct sequel of SP mission Day of Days ...

Side: west - USA

Type of mission: infantry - stealth

Island: Sahrani

Short story:
SLA officier Nikolaj Beryayev (called - Sutech) must die !
Mjr. Lucas and his boys are back again on Sahrani.

Used addons:
EMSI_cac.pbo
- pack in also with "EMSI_cac.pbo.EMSI.bisign"
- ammo box with radioactive material inside (Plutonium 94)
- few dead contaminated bodies

emsi_mgg.pbo
- pack in also with "emsi_mgg.pbo.EMSI.bisign"
- Mateo Garcia and his fighters

Main features: selectable advances during mission, complete dubbing (CZ/SK), ENG/SK/CZ subtitles, alternative endings ...

BETA-test: pochyst, Terablick, AL

Special thanx to: MAA and to whole MHstudio crew

Trailer: Short preview (pre-release)

OFPEC Download.

... or for lazy users and beginers safe installer: MHstudio

« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2008, 13:34:57 by Cheetah »
Day of Days was really a master piece but this new mission is beyond my expectations. Your job on this mission is truly brilliant, one of the best SP mission released so far.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Sutech (review please)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2008, 10:00:15 »
Good to see another mission ready for review. Gives us reviewers plenty of enjoyable work, gives the community something to play  :good:
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Denz

Re: [SP/QG] Sutech (review please)
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2008, 05:04:27 »
Just because missions are marked with "review please" you can still test them. After all, mission designers love feedback.

Tested on ArmA 1.12b, Queen's Gambit and Durg's Vegetation fix. Veteran Difficulty.

Overview
Interesting, a bible tract is a novel approach.
Typo: "apostoles" > apostles

Intro
Good Intro. Good control of the camera and very detailed.
I know English isn't your primary language and you have done a good job with the translation. However, some of the wording is wrong or uses the wrong tense. Little words like "the" and "a" are missing which Eastern Europeans tend to do.
For example:
"Welcome on this" > Welcome to this
"arrive to this village" > arrive at this village
"after accomplished task" > after the task is accomplished
If you want some help to anglicise the text then I don't mind going through the briefing and stringtables.

Briefing
Again, well written and comprehensive. I like that you have included a photo of the target and some details about him.
Like the Intro, some of the words are wrong. For example:
"When was USSR divided" > When the USSR was divided
"he dies before a few months" > he dies after a few months
I did find some proper typos though.
Notes section
"Here is ID photography" > photograph
Tips section
"horizont" > horizon

Mission
After landing, I was given the choice of which route to take following a beautifully shot cutscene - you disabled userinput Grrrr! So it became annoying after the third time I saw it.
Anyway, I first chose to raft across the bay. After several unsuccesful attempts because I kept getting stuck in firefights and then nailed by the BMP - Are there any AT weapons in the outpost? Also, at least one of the boats we are supposed to steal is locked.
Next I tried my luck at Corozol. After another couple of attempts I finally managed to work my way along the shoreline. Taking out two SLA soldiers with my silenced pistol. This is actually quite a tough city to pass through undetected. The patrols and UAZs work well although occasionally a UAZ would get stuck on a wall.
Another teleportation takes me near Mercalillo village. I take me and my team mate on a long flanking route around the Eastern edge of the village.
Take up position on the hillside and wait for the target to make his appearance. Take him down with one bullet then start to make my escape.
AARRGGHH!! I didn't see that coming, nice twist :)
I actually got killed in or near the UAZ a number of times. Unless I ejected as soon as the option came up but I still wasn't always safe.
You could use the hit eventhandler to make the player tougher at that point in the mission. It might be worth taking a look at Wolfrugs Body Armour Script to see how he did it. or there are some forum topics on the subject.
Typos in the following cutscene
"voluntieer" > volunteer (I couldn't write the whole line down as I couldn't pause the cutscene).
"wich" > which
"enadger" > endanger
Naturally I opted to assault the SLA base, couldn't just hop on a helo now could I ;)
I'm not sure why you kept this long drive in when you used teleport for all other lengthy journeys.
The assault seemed slow to start with individual resistance members taking off on their own.
I spotted a resistance sniper and like in Enemy at the Gates, I followed him around until he got killed so I could take his Dragunov (I prefer sniper rifles).
In the middle of this enjoyable firefight I got a hint about using the "strategic position at Ge44" which is the watchtower overlooking Mercalillo.
After clearing the base, I got to see just what the SLA where up to there. During the final cutscene one of "my boys" bodies disappears on camera.
Mission complete with a time of 12 hours 12 minutes. 14 Kills.

Outro
Well, again this is beautifully constructed but man is it long. The shots of the Harriers as they taxi along the runway seem to take forever.
Anyway it finishes the mission nicely.

Summary
Challenging and engaging is how I'd describe this mission. Plus a decent story. Yay!
I have to mention the high production value. The Cutscenes and Intro/Outro are virtually works of art.
There are a couple of annoying details about Sutech though but they don't detract too much from the overall mission experience.
My congratulations to you and your team on this project. I really enjoyed "Day of Days" and this is a fine sequel.
So when does the next part come out?

If you do want someone to go through the text then just let me know.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2008, 05:07:34 by Denz »
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline EMSI

• Members
    • ArmA2 web (SK/CZ/ENG)
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2008, 11:27:40 »
Hi Denz,
for the first, thanks for another different view to this mission.

Yes, you have right, some english translations are difficult when your native language isn't english. But for example word "apostoles" from overview is copied directly from original English bible (US version)  :P
Some other mistakes are of course my  :-[

When you select raft through bay and your movement is so slow, BMP arrives with couple of soldiers. You may then find RPG launcher in one URAL or in ammo box or you may take it from one of arrived soldiers (they disembark from BMP).

Any other sequel will be available in ArmA 2, because I don't have so much time now. So maybe then will be welcomed any help with english translations.
Day of Days was really a master piece but this new mission is beyond my expectations. Your job on this mission is truly brilliant, one of the best SP mission released so far.

Offline Denz

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2008, 11:40:27 »
But for example word "apostoles" from overview is copied directly from original English bible (US version)
Pah!!! Americans :P
I've never come across that spelling before. Well you live and learn.
Just found this on a bible site.
In two instances, the Greek word "apostolos" is not translated as "apostle," but rather as "messenger" or "representative"
That actually fits better with the mission.

Ok, seeing as there will be no updates I'll review this one
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline Denz

Re: (review completed) [SP/QG] Sutech
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2008, 13:58:13 »
This mission has been reviewed.

Let the post-review discussion commence!
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 12:54:46 by Cheetah »
24/09/41 - 24/04/69