Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Artillery Strike with the Laser Designator  (Read 5457 times)

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
Artillery Strike with the Laser Designator
« on: 18 Apr 2007, 21:40:06 »
Hi everyone!

Is it possible to simulate an artillery strike with the help of the laser designator?
Back to the forest!

Offline RaymondLu

• Members
Re: Artillery Strike with the Laser Designator
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2007, 11:38:14 »
ofcoz it is.

the key is to get the the laser targeted  object(position)

try this :

_postarget =position ( (position player nearObjects["LaserTarget",1000]) select 0)

1000 is the radius.

then u can have those arties fire on that position.

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2007, 09:35:25 »
That's great! I tied it and work!!! But how can I create a hellfire attack against the laser target?

I createdVehicle a hellfire rocket, but it fly away... Then I setVectorDir it, but setvectordir change only it's horizonatl direction, not the vertical. Then I tried the setVelocity, but same effect...

How can I create a hellfire (or other rocket) in the air (about 200m) and target it to the laser target?
Fix bayonet!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2007, 09:53:12 »

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2007, 10:20:38 »
I tried exemine it, but it's a lot of script files...
Fix bayonet!

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2007, 14:06:15 »
I must be really dumb! I can't even make the laser designator work. I am also not sure where to put this code from RaymondLu. Can someone help me a little? Thanx people!
Back to the forest!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2007, 14:46:12 »
Yep, lots of scripts and a doc folder with a nice HowTo.txt file.

Anyway, grab here the Laser Designator Demo. You only need to keep an eye to init.sqs and laserfire_keys.sqf. Both of them are a quite short and understandable.

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2007, 10:46:29 »
sorry mandoble, i possibl found something else.... maybe the demo... but there was no howto.txt just a lot of script file.
I'll check your site again...
Fix bayonet!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:51:20 »
Thanx Mandoble!!!!

I use the testbad mission to understand your script.
But it extremly depend on the terrian. I try to hit a T-72 in Paraiso with a missiole from south coast of South-Sahrani and it was impossible. The missile could guide through the mountain and THEN hit the groud from a kilometer far from Paraise. It was interesting... I thought the missile will crash with the mountain, but no. But the mountain made the confuse of missile, because when I relocate the launcher, the missile hit the tank correctly.

I tried to change the parameters (cruise alt = 120, etc...) but didn't help and missile couldn't hit the tank if it launched behind the mountain.
Fix bayonet!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2007, 09:37:03 »
The missile has many many parameters to play with, for example, initial elevation and initial mode. Mode 2 is active (this mode is used as soon as the target's predicted position is inside missile's inboard seeker range. In active mode the missile will not avoid terrain at all (if this parameter was set to true). Consider also that cruise altitude is above sea level, not above ground level. The flight patron you may be looking for is something like that:
- Missile is fired upwards, 45 degrees elevation angle.
- Missile is initially fired in inertial mode 0 (it will climb to cruise altitude and then it will try to keep cruise altitude while flying to seeker activation point).
- Missile will try to avoid terrain elevations while flying in not active mode (2). This is not really needed if your flight patron is high enough over the terrain.
- Missile activates its seeker relatively close to the target, 600~800m inboard seeker range.

Anyway, as said, the mission you were looking for is already done and ready to download here. Look for an attachment named laser_missile.intro.zip halfway in that page. That mission covers laser designation and missiles being fired behind elevations by hidden choppers. In this mission, the missiles need only an slight initial fire angle to avoid the mountains and island coast. So they fly all the time in active mode and do not even care to avoid terrain elevations.

In the same page there is another attachment named mando_missile_lab.Sara.zip (read the important NOTE in the post). You may use the tool preset there to set all the desired parameters for a missile and test them firing against several targets. Then you may copy/paste these parameters to use in your mission.

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2007, 10:24:38 »
- Missile is fired upwards, 45 degrees elevation angle.
DONE
- Missile is initially fired in inertial mode 0 (it will climb to cruise altitude and then it will try to keep cruise altitude while flying to seeker activation point).
DONE
- Missile will try to avoid terrain elevations while flying in not active mode (2). This is not really needed if your flight patron is high enough over the terrain.
DONE
- Missile activates its seeker relatively close to the target, 600~800m inboard seeker range.
That could be the problem... I used your script from your testbed mission and the init range was 800m. When the missile hit the ground, I chnage this range to 1000... I will try change it down....
Fix bayonet!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2007, 10:31:20 »
Or just mark me from where do you want to fire to where and I'll give you a working parameter set for the missiles. BTW, do not use the testbed, it is already obsolete. Use mando_missile_lab mission, much better suited to test missile parameters.

EDIT: This topic is not really related to missiles, if you have any further doubt or problem, please, lets use the proper topic in Scripting Resources Betatesting board.

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2007, 11:16:39 »
Thanks Man!

I'll use the lab mission next time, and I will write to the right topic (and not here).

And Mandoble... That's script is a GREAT WORK! Congratulation...
Fix bayonet!

Offline Novusordo

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2007, 03:08:10 »
ofcoz it is.

the key is to get the the laser targeted�  object(position)

try this :

_postarget =position ( (position player nearObjects["LaserTarget",1000]) select 0)

1000 is the radius.

then u can have those arties fire on that position.

what??? where does that coding go???

Offline RaymondLu

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2007, 09:04:56 »
That's great! I tied it and work!!! But how can I create a hellfire attack against the laser target?

I createdVehicle a hellfire rocket, but it fly away...

setDir, velocity and setVelocity are all you need to make those rockets to fly straight.

init the dir of the rocket use setDir.....

well, if you want to add a rocket launcher on ur motor-bike .
rocket setDir getDir bike
remember , put this in a loop or else the rocket wont turn as u turn the bike.

have fun.