*****updated v2.1_I*****Get CSL Particle Parameter Utility V2.1_IFull Size
This utility is, in essence, a particle effect editor that allows you to edit
the 55 or so parameters associated with particle effects with a series of
dialogs, and see the results first hand in real time.
This comes in the form of an ingame single mission. It's not a mission in the
true sense however. The scripts inside are not meant to be imported into your
own mission and there is no enemy to fight.
It's goal is simply to let you manipulate particle effects to enable you, as an
addon maker or mission designer, to acheive the desired effect quickly, and use
the settings you came up with in your mission/addon/script/whatever.
- Tested in ARMA 1.05. V2.01 has not been tested in ARMA v1.02.
- Not a true mission, just a tool. Multiplayer is irrelevant.
- Full manual. It includes notes about the controls and how my utility handles them, where
appropriate. In addition, it includes information as to what the parameters
actually do, and a tip here and there. It is recommended that advanced
scripters read this as well for information pertaining to the dialogs and how
specific things are handled.
- You manipulate the parameters of the particleParams, particleCircles,
dropInterval, and particleRandom commands through a series of dialogs
accessable through the action menu.
- You can import and export code via a copy+paste functions.
- You can edit up to 5 particle effects at the same time to enable you to
more easilly manage more complex effects.
-Both PBO versions and an non PBO versions are included. Unless you want
to edit something (like for example, you wish to do your edits directly on
an addon vehicle or something, you can drop it in. Totally unsupported.),
stick with the PBOs.
-A version for both the intro island and Sahrani are included in order to
minimise load times for the end user.
-A very simple usage demo mission is included to help set people who are
new to particle effects on the right path.
- When importing code, do not use single quotes ( ' ). It *will* cause an
error. This issue, is for all practicle purposes at the time of this
release, unfixable. Double quotes are fine however.
- The import function may fail if you use a character that is not
- This tool does not check for valid parameters beyond what the game
engine checks for itself. You can set parameters for some particle
effects that will cause the game to crash. The few I've seen have all
been related to setting shapeName 0 and shapeName 1 - 3 to an invalid
combination. I consider this problem to be minor at worst.
- There is also very little validity checking on the import feature. Make
sure your code is valid. Only numbers and exactly correct text is
accepted. Ran is not.
There are only 4 parameters you cannot set:
- Animation Name: There isn't enough concrete information for me to figure
out what options to give the editor.
- On Timer: Executes a script, therefore beyond the scope of this tool.
- Before Destroy: Executes a script, therefore beyond the scope of this
- Object: Sets the target object of the script. Not relevent for the
purposes of this utility.
- The PBOs go in:
- The Non PBOs (whole folder) and usage demo go in:
(Your arma user directory)\(your user name)\missions
Home Thread: BIS Thread
You can host this anywhere you want, but if you let me know via PM on the
BIS forums, I'll add a link in the download thread and let you know if I
patch it. I'd also prefer if you included a link back to this thread, as
this is where I'll be posting updates, answering questions etc.
A big thank you goes out to Sanctuary of the BIS forums for inspiring the
copy and paste method and to bk1276 of the BIS forums for suggesting
multiple particle effects.
Another one goes to Mandoble of the ofpec forums for suggesting adding the
ability to attach a particle effect to your squadmate and for pointing out
that I had done all the render parameters wrong.
A HUGE thank you aimed at Kegetys, Kronzky, & T_D (apologies if I missed
someone) for their efforts in putting together a working method of
manipulating strings. The whole import function would not have been
possible had it not been for these people.
Also, to those who have helped support this project by hosting the files,
including: Old Bear, El nino Foxhound, Big, Stavanger and Imutep.
Apologies if I missed somebody, too many to keep easilly track of
- Render parameters reworked to support 10 of each; size, color, and
- Ability to attach the particle effect to the squadmate, or any vehicle
the squadmate is in
- Added the manual
- Fixed a small bug when importing a drop interval of 2 or more.
- Squadmate, HMMWV, and MH-6 added to facilitate viewing the effect from
different angles, positions, etc.
- Moveable Dialogs
- Dialogs Cleaned up and made very consistant with the arma dialog look.
The BIS ARMA UI gradients and settings are actually used now.
- Internal Script Reorganization (subfolders and such)
- Problem with Chance of Dialogs Automatically Closing Under Certain
- Particle Effect Imports
- Multiple Particle Effects
- Intro Island Version Added. Identical to the full island version,
except for location.
- Simple Example Particle Effect Usage Mission
- Code Export Added.
- Small Bug fixed.
Unlimited rights (including editing and rereleasing) so long as it's non-
cannot be more restrictive than this with respect to what rights an end
Have you made a great particle effect you would like to share with the
world? Please do! Add your custom particle effects to the Bohemia
Interactive Community Wiki's Particle Effects page found at: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ParticleTemplates
Some More Screen Shots:Full SizeFull SizeFull SizeFull SizeMandoble 2009-06-02: Resource accepted with some "home-made" modifications to avoid some crash scenaries and easier usage.