Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Forest  (Read 12706 times)

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
(Review Completed) [SP] The Forest
« on: 28 May 2006, 12:17:28 »
A frightening night in a cursed forest.

Mission type: SP individual mission.
OFP version: 1.96
Island: Malden.
Addons needed: Mikero's editor update - Alternatively, at OFPEC.

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available, with required addon, from the Missions Depot.

The Forest 1.7 (<- EDIT, big update, outro is now active).

The Forest v1.71 WGL 5.0 version <- WGL 5.0 core needed. UPDATE: Fixed weapon type name.

Precedent story background:
You and your brothers tried to get money to pay the hospital for your sister. The hospital was too expensive, and the brothers decided to steal a jewelry and a money lending house. You were out of luck, your brothers were killed, you were imprisoned and your sister died few months later. The Forest mission starts at the time you were set free two years later.

NOTE: The-Architect's review below has no relation at all with The Forest mission
« Last Edit: 06 May 2009, 03:19:04 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline rado1265

• Members
Re: The Forest
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2006, 17:42:33 »
Hey dude!

As you know I played this mission before on BIS forums (and like it  :)), so, can you tell are there some significant changes in this version? If they're, I could try it again, but if not, then better wait for some fresh blood ;) ...

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2006, 18:31:20 »
This review is for a mission called Brothers which was posted here but is now gone. Please disregard.

The first thing that needs addressing is the lack of a Readme.

Overview
Picture doesn't fit. You can still get the people in the picture without it being so large. Also, It needs a blurb.

Briefing
Poor english. You'll have to get someone to sort that. I did know what was expected of me although with no map, there wasn't really enough info.

Intro
The Intro was short and fractured. The english was poor and after the blackout and next day message all I got was a look at a truck. Needs looking at again. I did however understand that I was part of a family trying to get some cash for my sister's treatment, although I don't know what currency 1000S is. One major problem was that when the camera panned to my character he was all cam'd up. It was my user character. You'll have to add an identity to your Description.ext and SetFace to your intro.

Mission
The mission started out ok. I just followed everyone around and got to the money lender house and of course it all went to stuff. We took casualties and in the chaos I lost track of what was supposed to be going on. I died and then realised I had to start again from the beginning. I turned it off at this point.

Outro
Don't know.

Special
Nothing.

Overall
This mission should be a cutscene, not a mission. Lack of savegames made it a chore rather than a fun experience. No voice acting was a real drawback. This needs much more work.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2006, 14:13:31 by The-Architect »
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2006, 18:36:39 »
Hm, from The-Architects' post it seems it's quite changed ... Maybe I'll look at it again ...

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2006, 18:55:58 »
Hi Karantan,
Yes, there are some mayor changes in 1.3. No more pinky and peaceful ghosts  ;)

The Architect, for your comments, it seems you tested "Brothers" mission, not "The Forest", which is the mission this thread is about. Having the link to a "Brothers" version there may be confusing, removing now.

Forgot to say, the pictures are large because these overviews are for campaign missions. While "The Forest" is downloadable now as individual mission, it is the second mission of a campaign.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2006, 18:58:34 by Mandoble »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2006, 21:07:43 »
I see. It's not my fault you put the wrong link up. I'll maybe take a look at the right mission once you've sorted it out.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2006, 21:20:05 »
Yep, same good old 'The Forest'! With some changes of course ...

I'm not going to tell ya any 'stories', where I went, what I've done; you know what's all about, it's your mission, and for the others, well, they can try it by themselves, and to see what's this all about. So, straight to the 'bussines':

- Overview:

You've already explained, why the picture is so big.

- Intro:

Nicely maded, nice story in there. About possible language mistakes; well, I didn't pay any attention to it, no wonder; my English also sucks big time! So, no sweat, bro. Lack of voice acting is not an issue in this mission, not at all.

- Briefing:

It's OK. You could give a player a magazine or two more, it will not play any role, and it'll be more realistic; going on patrol or guard the post with only one clip, well ...

- Mission:

Damn, loved those 'flor draggings' e.g. attacks by the wolves, that's a new feature, eh? Then seeking around for that loosed f***ing gun ,,, I love(hate!!!) it! Btw, you could make the eyes of those wolves (only) red; it'll looks even more sinister.

You could add some autosave more; after you find a girl-ghost, and after you find her body for instance.

I think I've noticed that the faces of the ghost and the body are not the same.

You could reduce a woodcuters' skills a bit; they're a very sharp shooters, to sharp for a woodcuters. And I leaved the third woodcuter alive ...

If you can, make that boat colision a bit more gentile. And you could lower a bit a sound level of the music there.

And; what's that 'flying' about?  Quite funny (and deadly sometimes), I just couldn't figure it out, what triggers them; are they in conection with those bluish mists, or they're just some random feature or whatever.

Well, that's about it. I've wroted this from my memory, so it could be that I've skipped something worthed to be mentioned. If maybe later something comes on my mind, I'll let you know. Oh and yes, the colour of the ghosts; much better. ;)

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2006, 22:00:19 »
Glad to help. Again, a good, enjoyable mission.

About the eye colour; I recommending you red; in all those stupid horrors such eyes from ghosts or demons or devils or mothers in law are red, so it must be something in it.

Now you intrigued me with that last sentence of yours, so now I must play it again to see, why is not necessary to find that gun. Damn you! :D

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jun 2006, 19:49:52 »
Hi, here's my take on the mission!

Overview

The picture is too large for my tast, but this has already been explained, so it's ok.

Intro

Superb camera scripting and emotional story. Describes army life not from a heroic but a pragmatic standpoint which leads to more depth in character development IMHO. And I liked the scenes where you change into uniform and the artillery. Good  scripting here.

Briefing

Good choice of music. I never encountered music during briefing, it's a very nice touch.
But where is my map? Briefing itself is short and to the point.

Mission

I really liked the green title effect! Use the compass to get to private Collins. When I am up the guardpost the atmosphere kicks in. This is by far the most atmospheric OFP mission I have played to date. Scripting I have never seen before and superb sound effects.  When I am told to investigate the mysterious sounds I am hunted by ghosts and wolves and are bitten or thrown into the air...really cool effect.

BUT...here comes a Showstopper for me: The sounds are everywhere around me. So where I am to go? I chase a few light effects, find two unoccuppied fires. Finally I find a house with a ghost that tells me to look for his daughter before he disappears. Then I run around to the forest quite clueless and I am killed by ghosts during several retries.
In the end, frustration replaces fascination and I abort the mission.

Suggestion
Could you make the lights lead the player to where you want him to? This would keep up the fascination without the frustration. Or at least, keep the fire by the guard post to give the player a reference point on where he is.
I would love to complete the mission which could be possible with just a little guidance.

Cheers

Mathias

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jun 2006, 21:01:26 »
Thanks for your comments Mathias.

EDIT: Deleted, too many tips for the players  :D
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2006, 22:06:45 by Mandoble »

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jun 2006, 21:57:42 »
V1.4 ready, now as full standalone single player mission:

The Forest v1.4 (obsolete)

Changes:
- Full single player mission overview added.
- Identities added.
- Your guardpost is now a safe place, as long as you keep upstairs.
- Added three more automatic save points.
- Added three savegames triggered by player using radio.
- Wolves eyes colour changed (red or blue).
- More ammo clips added to the player.
- Ship collision less violent.
- Healing holy water fountain added somewhere.
- Few more details added to the intro.
- A new surprise added near the center of the forest.
- Included a readme file with short story background and more info.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2006, 22:08:14 by Mandoble »

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jun 2006, 22:45:08 »
Hi, tried the mission again and I am still not satisfied...

I'm in the mood for a short report today so let's start:

Observations

*Superb photo-story in the overview. Never seen before!
*Falling stars not really visible trough the forest canopy
*Healing fountain does not heal (does not cure the sickness effect)
*Sickness effect overdone (too often IMHO)
*Solid forest does not open up (stays solid)

Recommendations

* Guiding light effects in front, not above the player (what about a buzzing firefly?)
* Check the healing fountain bug
* Vomiting every 5 minutes could be enough
* Check the solid forest bug

Overall

This mission has the potential to be a very special one with all the atmosphere already in there. But it is still dragged down by bugs as it appears to me. When these are corrected this mission will be something that is rarely encountered in the OFP world: A workung and excellent mystery mission!

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jun 2006, 23:58:55 »
Deleted, too many tips for the players  :P
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2006, 22:07:39 by Mandoble »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2006, 00:08:58 »
I did a test on this mission a few days ago (the older version) and found no bugs. But I'll check the newer version again sometime soon.
What I saw was that your scripting was very good, nice effects like the wolfattack or the ghosts in the forest. You'll hear from me later. Don't expect me to find more bugs though, because your previous version didn't have them, well of course this doesn't imply that v1.4 doesn't have any bugs.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #14 on: 08 Jun 2006, 03:44:00 »
OFP1.96 vetmode no superai

Readme:

nice. informative.

Overview:

different.

1st picture is too hazy (you know that)

The 'polically correct' don't use more than one, in your face, page. That said, I like this, it's informative, interesting. Just bear in mind that people DONT READ OVERVIEWS!!!!

The entire point behind an overview is a memory jog of what has been PLAYED, past tense. People's favorites' oh yes, I remember.

I like what you've done, but, it's in advertising territory, you're appealing to the player to play it. S/he is already going to!

to steal a jewlery = to steal jewelry

owners opposed resistance = owners were against the Resistance, ... anti-Resistance.

in the firefight = in the ensuing firefight.

(a) few months later.

---
bloody, bloody nice mandoble. I have not seen this 'technique' done as well as this before. No one, so far as I recall has done it this well. It's very, very good.

----

Intro:

best I have seen by a country mile. Technically, amazing. I've seen _plenty_ of more spectacular intros, more thump and grunt, but this is technically superb. It even beats Thobson, and (Student) Pilot. The care to timing and detail is amazing.

Suggestion: provide a stringtable.csv for others to help you with English grammar.

---
Briefing:

oooh ah!

nice presentation, grabs you, grips you, you just want to know more, don't you. (notes, excellent)

Mission:

I absolutely love this. Love it love it love it. It is sooo god-damn professional.

I'm stopping my review here so I can concentrate and play this mission.....

(one quick tip,  drop the private collins said business. it's obvious who is saying what, and not necessary)

edit:

ok, i've now played this technical masterpiece. It is a superb piece of script-crafting.

However, there are a few niggles. First and mostly, you have played this mission before, and you know what is, where is, I do not.

I agree with Mathiias that the frequency of sickness is too much. Two reasons.

it kicks in very quickly, while the impression is there's a bug-stall in the mission. Because there are still plenty of environment sounds, it is not apparent for some time that  i'm vomiting (an important audio clue)

secondly, the need to use solid-forest means player is often coming up against walls, being stuck in them, and, being stalled is frustrating enough.

as for the solid forests, you should think about replacing any of the see-thru ones, they are extremely frustrating. After all,  i don't know initiially that the answer to everything is in fact anywhere else but south (in the southern forest). I spent a frustrating time running into _all_ of these transparent walls.

Finally, the body, most most definately is an I've played this before bug. The trigger area is (of course) too small. You need to put a dirt pile (grave?) in there, or, slightly illuminate that area, make me go to the right spot, or, at the very least make me keep coming back around in over that house.

The dawn lighting of the escape was best I've seen. There is however, no, run for your life, and I accidentally shot one of the black ops as a result (perhaps your intention). I think at that point in the mission, you need to say, get back to base for medical attention / help, whatever, but not, run for your life,

All music was brilliantly casted. Every one, set a mood theme.

Oh and before I start recieving undeserved credit for Mikero's editor103. No folk's not one of those special effects have been done by me.

This is a technically superb mission, slightly frustating for reasons mentioned above, but I rate this a hard earned 9.

Outro:

Not _quite_ as exceptional as the Intro, it is after all, the outro, not the wham bam beginning of everything, but its damn good and in the same technical wonderpiece as the rest of the mission and intro.

If I could offer any advice, this mission deserves some English grammare editing.

Well bloody done.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2006, 10:25:58 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz