Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: parachuting tanks  (Read 910 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
parachuting tanks
« on: 13 Dec 2005, 20:54:41 »
is it possible to make a tank float in by a parachute ?
Ive got a mission where i need to show that Russians are mass inserting into Everon ive got several choppers and paratroopers but i cant think of a way to get the tanks into Everon

anyway ideas ?
cheers

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
Re:parachuting tanks
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2005, 23:13:57 »
Create a GL, and make it moveInDriver of a parachute. Then setPos a tank on a fast loop to the position of the GL.

I'll scrounge up a script I made a while ago if I can find it for you...
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2005, 23:14:06 »
One way I have head of is to create a parachute, and then, in a very fast loop, setpos the tank under the parachute until the parachute hits the ground and disappears.

-Pilot

EDIT:
9 seconds... ::)

Anyway, Tyger is more correct, I forgot about the Game Logic
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2005, 23:18:08 by Pilot »

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2005, 00:22:14 »
 ;D I hate it when that happens.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2005, 01:00:19 »
For a tank it looks better if you use a chute at each corner.  Not that I am proud of the mission but you might want to de-pbo this one:
http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?ID=967

I had Abrams, repair trucks, M2 Jeeps, ammo crates, M113, all being paradropped in (and soldiers of course)

All I can say of the scripts I used there is that they worked.  I would do them differently now.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2005, 01:00:49 by THobson »

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2005, 17:57:49 »
parachuting the likes of a t80 is very unrealistic
ight vehicles such as jeeps, artillery pieces etc are the heaviest vehicles that would be parachuted in
Heavy lift helicopters would undersling slightly heavier equipment, eg light apc's like the bmd etc, maybe 20 tons maximum

Heavy battle tanks weighing from 65 tons and upwards cannot be dropped in such a way (afaik)

how about instead, in your mission, have your paratroopers secure a beach head , or a marine insertion do likewise and then setvelocity an LST (which is waiting offshore somewhere) to the beach head then setpos the tanks infront of the LST as if they are being unloaded , that would give your mission much more credibility

« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2005, 18:19:18 by Terox »
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2005, 18:35:54 »
You are correct it is utterly unrealistic, but to see several Chooks fly in each with an Abrams beneath them is pretty impressive

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2005, 18:38:46 »
^ This is true.  The Abrams can only be lifted internally by the C-5 Galaxy, which is the biggest lifter in the USAF.  I've seen Humvees, LAV-25s and artillery pieces slung under a chopper.  Armor like the M113 or M551 Sherican needs to be rolled off a cargo plane on a runway or makeshift airfield or pulled out with LAPES over a runway or open area, and even then it takes a bit of time to get them into the fight.

So the M1 and M2 don't fly into combat like that, and the M113 or similar stuff only when you've secured a big enough area to do it.  As a result paratroopers are on their own until you can move heavier stuff in overland or via ship as Terox suggests.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2005, 19:26:19 »
how about instead, in your mission, have your paratroopers secure a beach head , or a marine insertion do likewise and then setvelocity an LST (which is waiting offshore somewhere) to the beach head then setpos the tanks infront of the LST as if they are being unloaded , that would give your mission much more credibility

i love that idea in fact and i think ill go with that thanks for your help guys

topic solved