Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Zombie Outbreak Simulation  (Read 13741 times)

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
(Review Completed) [SP] Zombie Outbreak Simulation
« on: 31 Aug 2005, 02:49:20 »
Final version released, beta testing is over.

Betatesting is over - head to the Mission Depot for V1.0
http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=38

=============================================
1. M i s s i o n  O v e r v i e w
=============================================

This is a special single player mission, both in zombie and normal mission terms!

In the words of a beta tester:
"Otherwise, where's the fun? I might as well go and buy an ant colony and watch that simulate."

The fun is located in using the original OFP squad control interface to it's max and finding strategies to rescue as many survivors as possible in the random simulation.

The mission is a symbiosis of:
- The Incredible Zombie Machine (http://www.sothisisacomic.com/Zombie/zomb3.html)
- the outbreak "rules" pictured in George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead
- Scott Tunstall's Zombie AI
- The default OFP squad control system

!!! It's essential that you really utilize the tutorial you can find in the briefing

!!! Also you should be(come) an advanced AI squad leader

Story:
As the dead start to walk the earth, rescue centers are build to save the living.
Your national guard unit is also mobilized, but badly equiped, as help is needed everywhere. You are a platoon leader, and were deployed at Sarugao by ship with your platoon. That was in the early evening. The last hours were used to improvise a rescue center of the old military habour. - All military installations on the island are long abandoned.
Now, after the rescue center is build, you are ready to start the evacuation of the island. You are in command, and choose to accompany your 1st squad, which is supposed to search the settlements for civilians. 2nd squad organizes the transport when survivors are found, 3rd squad and HQ are maintaining the rescue center.

Technical:
- You shouldn't play this mission with an old PC.
- Disable highquality replacement mods (ECP ect.) to gain more resources if necessary.
- Evacuated civilians are deleted, but resurrected civilians/zombies start walking around. So successfull evacs will help your PC, too.
The player is Platoon Leader and organizes the evacuations, but has only direct control of the 1st squad he accompanys.

Mission is singleplayer.

It plays on the island Sarugao.

I was created with OFP 1.96

Mission zip size is 3.29MB.

The ai evac convoys are a weakspot of the mission, thats why I've included Vektorbosons Debug Spectator, so you can always have a look at them for easier bugreports. Also a hint will show up to inform you if one of the convoys doesn't really move for 15 minutes.

Difficulty should be medium up to very hard, it depends mainly on how many civilians you want to rescue. :) Mission is always won when there are no more civilians left to evacuate.
The debriefing scoring is completely customized and represents rescued civilians-squad casualties. The (almost impossible) highscore is 17500 + 1000 bonus points.

Needed Addons (37MB):
Modfolder recommended!

UnifiedZombies_beta3 by Scott Tunstall (3,51MB)
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/_hosted/farmland/uploads/unifiedzombies_b3.rar
Civil pack V1.30 by MiG (includes 2 optional rifles, that also have to be installed! ) (5,00MB)

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/_hosted/farmland/uploads/FML_civilians30.rar
NBC Units V1.45 by MiG (1,57MB)
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/_hosted/farmland/uploads/fml_nbcunits45.rar
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/_hosted/farmland/addons.html

HMMWV Pack v1.1 by COMBAT! (18,2MB)
http://www.combataddons.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5
CBT Misc 1.1 by COMBAT! (4,98MB)
http://www.combataddons.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9

Sarugao Island by Schusch (Original Version) (2,76MB)
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=1639

West Medic Tent by Assassinator (<1,00MB)
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=2579

Kegety's Editor Addon V1.11 (editorupdate102.pbo) - or compatible addon
http://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?browsewhat=3&category=3_5

A Replacement File For zombieScripts.pbo by myself
Included in the mission zip. Use it instead of the zombieScripts.pbo of the Unified Zombie Mod.

zos.pbo a small fx addon MiG and I created for the mission.
Included in the mission zip.

Final version released, beta testing is over.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2009, 01:34:45 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re:ZOS/Zombie Outbreak Simulation
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2005, 02:14:21 »
OFP1.96, bench 5685, vetmode, no superai

No FX, ECP or other 'enhancements'

Package:

Readme:

One of the best presented I've read. Almost a joy to just get stuck in and follow the directions.

Piccie: Partial

As part of the ability to promote a mission, we need a pic. It can be as simple as the overview picture. The relevant included addon had one.

Included Addons

All contained in logical zips of their own and properly described in the readme.

No errors or inconsistencies found.

---
Overview:

I am not sure of the significance of 'simulation' but it was another interesting tweak to centre titleing.

Picture is fine, if a little bland. Everything spaced and presented well. Easily readable. Good author advertising and an error perhaps calling it simply beta? in place of a version value.

Intro:

Excellent. A little mumbly and hard to get into at the very beginning, but otherwise fine. Nice microphone fumble that sounded more like the news presenter doing it rather than the author<> :D

Briefing:

Phew. VERY high quality. As the ReadMe says, it's a mini manual. For those of us not familiar with Zombie missions I would have pronounced how to permanently kill them a little more.

No typos discovered but a peculiar reference to 012345 June. If this is a dating system, it's a mistake. If it's a co-ordinate system, it's waffle.

Notes Ditto: High quality.

No typos or grammatica found

Very good use of 'me' for player to figure out who the hell she is.

Gear / Selection none. and clearly part of mission design. What was supplied however is far above 'yer average' and clearly had some thought put into it.

Group:

Hooray. We are not all, experts, nor, totally profoundly stupid. Another clear indication of mission design but I'm fearful that the troops AI levels will be poor and frustrating as a result.

Map:

Clear, distinct, no noisy nonsense.

Mission.

Instantly confused 2 hmmv looking things and 10x squad. But they look different with the mgun attached so I attempt a load up and sure enough, all of us fit in. (more a criticism of me, than the author).

Did a quick scout round the base camp to get some 'feel' for where support was.

Drove off to first major town fully lit. Took some care on roads as I assumed (wrongly) I'd be using my vehicle as a weapon against zombies.

Noticed 2 civils with rifles (probably kozlices). Inspected the radio options to see what might be, and spotted a convoy call. Waited and waited, and positioned all my people at lethal crossfires in the town to take down anything that came.

Nothing came, and it appeared the convoy wasn't either. Checked map and noticed for first time a LOT of ? marks on towns much deeper into the island.

Figured out I should've gone deeper into unmarked territory to begin with.

But, by this time, the mission wasn't working for me. Personal thing. I couldn't 'get into it'. Had the feeling, wrong I assume, that I'd be running all over the map trying to get things to happen that wouldn't. Too confused with first town not understanding it's possibly a 'safe' holding area perhaps, and a dull uneventful drive to it (from the base) made me surer I'd be in for a chase the last loon style mission.

Considering it's (one of the) most professional packages I've seen in a while, I figure most of the fault is mine, and I'll get back to this mission after i've cleared the decks of an awful lot of incoming.

Howwever, can't shake the feeling that there's author mistakes here, that he knows how this mission plays and has forgotten to tell the player.
Just say no to bugz

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2005, 12:22:01 »
Thank you for testing the mission Mikero.
It's good to know about the problems the player can run into at the first time.

A picture will be included in the next zip.

"Simulation" is very significant. It describes the difference to the common OFP zombie missions I know.
You've already noticed this difference as you were surprised about the "dull uneventful drive" to the "safe" village.
In this mission the zombies are really spreading about the island, and this is the "Simulation". It's the heart of the mission.
As it begins randomly, any of the towns can be "safe" or attacked in the first minutes.
It's not that kind of horrormission, where they just spawn now and then close to you.

Version Value. "1st" is meant to be one, but maybe it's a little bit too individualistic :)
The first final will begin with the better known 1.0

Credits for the intro sound belong to George A. Romero's movie and my recording skills. ;)

The dating system. I've addapted it from the Realistic Mission Briefings tutorial by crow, here at the editors depot.
012345 June  -->  June 1st, 2345hours
So is it wrong or not? :)

The mission itself:

"Howwever, can't shake the feeling that there's author mistakes here, that he knows how this mission plays and has forgotten to tell the player."
The author would like to say "ReadThe********Manual" 8) - but maybe the manual is too complicated?
All things you've mentioned, are already covered in the manual. So as it looks like you've had to rush through it at first, I would like to know about your second experience, before we go into details.

About the questionmarks you're right. I've no idea how to refer to 17 mapmakers (all island towns) in the realistic briefing.
I wrote "all civilian survivors" in briefing, "question marks" in manual and "Evacuation of Sarugao island" in overview. But it seems to be too subtil.

"made me surer I'd be in for a chase the last loon style mission" - No. :)
The zombie spread is working against you from the first minute. Only thing you have to chase are the questionmarks. Either there are civilians to evacuate, or the zombies have already overun the village. - Mission ends if none of the 175 survivors is left to evacuate.
You should also know, that this big mission(/simulation) can have up to 2 or 3 hours playtime. Well, you've to evacuate the whole island, what do you expect? ;)

EDIT:
The radiocommand you've tried to use for evac isn't documented in the manual. It's only part of the beta test, have a look at the first post, please.
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2005, 17:42:46 by Trapper »

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2005, 01:50:23 »
It says "no promises" in the guidlines for releasing beta missions, but as I've got the feeling I'm missing tests thru wrong expectations, I've extended the first post to clear things up.

EDIT:
PS: Always read the mini manual in the briefing notes carefully, this mission could also be called a small mod.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2005, 01:59:49 by Trapper »

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2005, 15:49:32 »
All right!
I downloaded it! I'll try... But if I can't sleep for a while...  ;D ;D
Fix bayonet!

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 09 Sep 2005, 17:31:40 »
Thx Bardosy, I don't think this mission will be that scarry. - And I'm sure you know how to quit OFP if neccessary. :)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2005, 13:36:10 »
The download links for the first three addons aren't working.
This is the link where all the false downloads are:
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/_hosted/farmland/addons.html

Please give me other download location that work, I don't have the time to look much for them myself.

A question: do you need all these* addons for the NBC units? Please mention them in the downloads if you need them all.

*HYK Units [2.05 MB] + Hyakushiki Modern US Troops v1.53 [19.5 MB] + Laser's US Weapons Pack v1.25 [15.1 MB] + JAM2 Corrected Version [7.44 MB]) - (source ofp.info)
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2005, 14:06:39 »
Added working Farmland downloadlinks to the first post.

The Farmland NBC units require none of the additional addons you have listed. All needed addons are listed in the first post.

Also I added a pic to persuade all of you hesitating betatesters.  :P

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2005, 18:26:00 »
Pretty strange that I need all the addons then :). Well all the addons except for the NUT_UUSMC were on my PC. Downloading it right now, maybe because you do already have them on your PC? And on the site is mentioned that the NBC units require some other addons (for example on ofp.info).
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2005, 19:12:57 »
Now I've checked the mission.sqm, and not one of your addons is listed.
Please make sure you use a mod folder for my mission. - Maybe some of the used addons tend to inconsistencies.

Are you sure that we're talking about the same NBC Addon? I don't see any required addons there. :)

EDIT: Oh and please hang on until you're able to test this cursed mission  ;D
EDIT2: You are trying to play the mission with these, right? It's just the wrong addon, nothing more.  :D
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2005, 19:32:51 by Trapper »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2005, 06:37:06 »
Gee, I'm having a really bad week, sniping and criticising at many of the mission in here. I gave this one anoter run and finding it really hard to get into. Here's some thought's in no order stuff.

There's no clear idea of what-to-do. It's all there, it's all detailed, but it's not in your face clear (and this mission isn't something subtle, something hidden).

I would put a link to 'spoilers' or 'how to win' in it I would say

locate civilians in each town visited.

kill off and bury any zombies that might be present.

move to centre of civs and use action memnu and map to get assistance

Use care in telling convoy where to arrive. Hint. Cause civs to move a little out of town.

Protect civs until convoy arrives, then move on.

read blah for further details.
----

If this is the basics of the mission, if this is all it is, then it's dull and uneventful.

Because Saraguo is a new island, most of us are unfamiliar with it, This leads to an immediate problem of not being able to 'measure' the time taken for those convoys to arrive. (we have reasonable ideas of Larche to Houdan eg) and we also have strategic knowledge of how 'difficult' it might be for a convoy to make the journey. Here, we have nothing. We don't know, can't judge, which compass direction we should concentrate on and in which order.

The dark compounds this problem for us because all our peripheral navigation has gone.

If anything, I would add animated map markers for ALL vehicles. Something to give the player something to look at, some feeling that something's happening (the patch-view does not do that for us incidentally)

Another thing I'd consider doing is scrapping these boring long waits all together and use a much smaller team in a VERY large truck. We drive the truck, WE rescue civilians and the PLAYER gets to control when all the action takes place. In this way, I'd make the collecting of civils a much fiercer fist fight.

I don't know of course if something more develops, something back at base later, but as it stands now (for me) it's just a tedious move-to-next-town thing with no end in sight, separated by tediously long and almost always uneventful waiting around.

There's also the issue of ai driving. Bad in itslelf, but really really painful when one gets stuck on the 19th village and you have to start the thing all over again. Give the player control of these vehicles and the issue goes away.

Loved that interesting patch-view btw, never met up with it before.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2005, 09:48:09 »
ZOS / Zombie Outbreak Simulation

Overview:
The overview is good and I can't add anything to Mikero.

Intro:
I liked the intro, never seen an intro like this one before in an ofp mission. But I suggest that you start this intro a bit different. Let the news reader walk towards the camera while you follow him with your camera. Than let him begin to speak.
After that you could add some scenes of reporters in a town. Just for some news footage, that way it looks a bit more like a real new program.

Briefing:
I liked the briefing, but I didn't really like it that I had to click through all the pages for the information. I'd like to have a bit more information on a page. Maybe you could combine the hints in the hint section a bit? That way we don't have to look through all the sections to get all the hints.

There was no weapon choice, well some handguns which you might as well just add to the team without the player having to do it maybe? And you don't need any more weapons then we already have, the M16 is good enough.

Why does the marker "civilians" go to San Alto on the map? Is this the most special place, or the first place where you think the player will go? Or is it just that you wanted a marker civilians?

The group, well place make them all a bit better or at least one of them so that you have an experienced co-driver in your team. Or make the skills at least a bit different from each other, no-one in a team is equally skilled.

Mission:
The flashlight didn't have any effect, or didn't work? It looked quite strange, but I don't know this is because of the mod. What I also noticed was that the mission looked really strange. Just like a filter had been used to make the map a bit different or is it just me. It was no fog that was bugging me. It was quite irritating, but well I got used to it. Though I'd prefer to have fog in this mission.

My ten men strong team was divided into team white and team red. I took command over team white and team red was led by #6. I ordered #6 to go north while I went to San Alto.
I called in the evacuation team and they were on their way to the town.
No time should be wasted and I went West right away. I got to the second town and let them evacuate. The strange thing was that the civilians were running away in the direction of San Alto? Pretty strange.

My Red team wasn't at the objective, they were driving through the hills. Well, I should have thought of the safe mode... oops.

I decided that going north from this town to the west of San Alto would be best. I drove over the mountains, because I didn't like driving all the way around they. After some 4x speed driving I came to the town with two groups in them.
During my drive to the town north, my #6 was finally in the town I ordered him to go with team Red. I tried using his action menu, but I couldn't spot the evacuation action right away. The town where he was had a yellow marker that a pick-up or something would be done.
Do the AI do this by themselves? Using the action menu, the evacuation of the civilians?
Well anyway, I thought this was just a problem and ordered them to move about fifty metres north. This time I could use his action menu and press the "evacuation" thing via the radio. Help was on the way towards my other team.

Every time I ordered the evacuation of the civilians, I left one or two teammates there to guard them. This left team White with me and #2 and team Red with #6,7,9,10. Red was ordered to move to the northwest towards another town.

This was when I saw the town I was looking for, I had some problems with finding the civilians, but I discovered there was a group on a hill, the hospital. Because I'd been searching for them a few minutes my other team was at the their destination before I was at the hospital. A yellow marker appeared on the map, saying that there was an evacuation or something.
I tried using #6's action menu, but I couldn't use the evacuate button. Damn, well I was at the hospital and tried using mine, the problem was that there would be no evacuation group coming. The two groups were busy at this time. Well San Alto was done and the recover squad had returned. This left one squad (confirmed move) moving towards the first position of #6, (north of the beginning position).

I don't know where the second group went to but okay. I tried using the radio to see where the convoy's were and why they hadn't picked up the civilians. It was a bit hard to use if you don't know how it works, but eventually I got it to work. I saw that there was a convoy stopped, maybe they were attack or something, I don't know.

This is where I did get very frustrated. The hospital couldn't be safed, I didn't know where the convoys were and what they were up to. My Red team were being attacked by zombies in the town they were in. I ordered #9,10 to get out and help #7 (Hummer gunner) to shoot the zombies. #9 was killed rather easy and my other two guys were running low on ammo after a while. Well, I had problems with all the bodies, so I just let them retreat from there. They wouldn't really do this the way I wanted, #10 had to be left behind because he wouldn't board the hummer in time. #6 drove back to the base, but I didn't like paying attention to him anymore.

I tried waiting on 4x speed for the convoys to get ready to pick up these civilians. This didn't work. I pressed the quit mission at this moment.

Debriefing:
Didn't see it.

Outro:
Didn't see it.

Mission Thoughts:

Not really happy with the mission in it's current state, although most things seem to work fine. In the following part I'll give you some comments about the mission that I think, will make it a bit better. A bit more playable, because right now it's very hard to get into and it takes very long. There's so many towns on the map and it gets a bit boring after a while of playing. There's not much action, the zombies aren't that lethal.

You should really do something about the action in this mission. Right now, the zombies aren't a real threat and the problem is that your own team is your enemy. They don't listen as they should and splitting up the team looks like the best option. Although this doesn't really work as to how it should IMO. Please, add more action into the mission. We want more zombies, at least I want. Make sure that the zombies have some kind of roadblocks or when the player is saving civilians have the zombies attack in large numbers.
Add a radio message like "town X is under attack by zombies", something that let's the player know what's going on.

Make it so that if the AI is in range of a civilian team, he'll go there and order the evacuation. This has to be done with the authorisation of the player. He gets some kind of a dialog maybe, that let's it proceed. Also some thing so that the AI communicates with the player if he orders an evacuation.

Change the evacuation thing a bit, as Mikero said you could give the player trucks and do the evacuation on his own.
Or make it so that the player keeps up to date on all things involved for the evacution. You could make a big dialog, which gives you information about how many civilians you have left to save. About where the evacuation team is, or at least how many are available. And possible even the ETA of when there's another available or what the time is that they arrive at position X where they were ordered to evacuation some civilians.

If the convoy is attack you should give a message to the player that convoy A is under attack. And as Mikero said, moving markers should be added if you keep this "the convoy isn't part of your squad". That way you know a bit more what's going on. In real life you've a radio at your disposal to keep track of all the other units involved. Make the player know a bit more about how the mission is going.

Give the player a description of how he can complete the mission. And did you complete the mission on your own, or has this never been done by anyone yet? If you did it would you want to let me know how you did it, you could add at least a walkthrough in the readme or something. That way I know that this map can be completed. Because in my eyes, it's a bit too big at the moment with the means you've at your disposal.

The transportation.. on this kind of a map, that we don't even know of. You might give the player some additional transport. How about a chopper (blackhawk / little bird) or some trucks so that the player can use these to rescue the civilians.

Conclusion:
This mission should be nice to play if it would have more action. And less driving-around-without-knowing-what-to-do-further. Do you get what I mean? It's just that it's a bit, well empty in some case. The island is quite large towns are spread out and we don't know what to do. Only two rescue convoys are available which isn't much. And we don't even know what's the status of the convoys.

Please, give this mission a bit more work and make it a bit easier for the player. I'll try it again if you'd like to have me test a few things that you ask me to do.

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2005, 13:54:28 »
Thank you for the first two tests on this mission Mikero and Cheetah.
But guys I was really surprised how "bad" the mission played out for you.  :o
I'll would have a hard time to reply to everything you wrote, but be sure I'll consider your whole posts as fars as possible while working on the next version.

The biggest problem so far, that I can read all between your lines, is "getting into it".
The alpha testers at the BI forums had less problems with that, as most of them seem to be zombie fans.

My current point on getting into it is:
I'm serious when calling it a simulation. It's like all those flightsims, most people can't spot the fun anymore, if they play it on "ultra realistic" settings.
My mission seems to have a big problem to suck people into it, that are not much interested into zombies, and/or don't have at least a little bit of real military background knowledge. I'll try to descripe what I'm talking about in short:

The zombie fan (or even a zombie enemy) might say:
I've seen/played all things zombie before. Everytime it's only about small rooms, low on ammo, escape. I would like to know how this would be in a more realistic open terrain enviroment. Damn, an army should get such a problem under control in no time, so I don't have to fear this zombie fiction.

The military background thing:
(In short: Make do with what you've got.)
Your busy superior: ...Lieutenant your mission in this worldwide state of emergency is to evacuate all the civilian survivors on Sarugao island. Situation on this small, unimportant island is unknown, we have no contact. Here's an island map, your platoon will be deployed by ship. Set up the rescue center at the old military habour and get on it. Good Luck!...

So many of the things you don't like are intentionally
  • Most of the time a soldier will have to work with maps, and not by knowing the area of operations. (unknown island)
  • Many operations are dull and uneventfull, and most of the soldiers prefer this I think.
  • Communications on the island are broken down, thats why the evacuation has to be supervised like this.
  • This mission is a big scale evacuation simulation not a big scale zombie hunt. (so yes, the overall mission is a bit "empty" and doesn't try to entertain hollywood like (simulation again))
  • No one really cares if a soldier survives a mission or not, but if he survives and wasn't successful someone will care...

(I want to say: This mission is about how many civilians you can evacuate, not how cool you fight off zombies that might attack your squad. The survivors are the ones in real danger, not your soldiers.)[/list]

It looks like the mission plays like I wan't it, but I'll have a problem to find interested players for it. - Any thoughts on how to interested the normal ofp player for it, without him being frustrated by the dullness/difficulty he'll find in this mission?

Some smaller things:

Nice ideas for the intro, but a moving newsman is to difficult in ofp editing. Also this sound sample out of a movie doesn't give me much freedom, and correspondents sounds wouldn't have the same "reality" quality. (A small problem also is the movie plays around the 50s/60s, so the newsman acts different than in a today newsreport. - It's a small tribute to the movie like it is now.)

Yes there is a colorfilter over the whole mission, you are wearing a gasmask with colored glasses, didn't you notice? ;)

The flashlight is working/looking like a small vehicle spotlight. I think there's a problem with your OFP setup and the addon. I hope you can fix that. - Oh wait, are you using custom animations? I've noticed Sanctuary's rifle animations effect the flashlights in a bad way. :(

Splitting your (realistic) 9 men squad up from the beginning  is exactly the right way, to rescue as many civilians as possible.
Mikero if I just add a small truck and let the player do everything himself, the whole mission would take even longer, and you would rescue less civilians.
Cheetah I can't add a helicopter, the mission would get too easy.

You don't have to redo the whole mission if the convoy gets stucked!? Just load the automated savegame up.

Using time acceleration in such a big mission isn't a good idea, I haven't noticed big bugs caused by it, so I won't deactivate it, but it's always possible.

...have to quit for now this is getting too long... :)

Things already in work for next version:

- a new list document in the briefing, with links to all of the question marks on the map. It replaces the San Alto map link
- back/exit/forward links in the tutorial documents

- moving mapmarkers for the convoy

Cheetah (or anyone else who likes to do this special, short test for me):
Please try if it's really that difficult to do evacuations remotely. Because while reading your test I've got the feeling you didn't do it "by the book".
1. Just wait at the rescue center.
2. Open the briefing tutorial, chapter "Evacuations".
3. Order some AIs into a HMMWV and let them drive to San Alto.
4. Read the tutorial carefully step by step, and evacute the San Alto survivors with the ais, like the tutorial tells you.

I would like to know, what you think about the remote evacuations after that, because I've already included workarounds for the occuring problems.

PS:
Yes I finished my mission 2 times now. Playtime is around 2 hours, in earlier versions it were 3 hours.
Guys you can just quit and continue a mission at any point whenever you like in OFP. But I think you already know that. ;)
The mission will always end, if all civilians are either a zombie or evacuated, so just check every question mark on the map and do there what you're orderd to do. ;)
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2005, 21:04:49 by Trapper »

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2005, 16:14:04 »
@Mikero

Please have a look at this new summary. It replaces the old "Hints" page of the briefing tutorial:

Hints

This is a small manual for the new things you will discover in this mission.

Everything in short:
- Search all locations for survivors
- Contact their leaders to start an evac (use the actionmenu and the map, prefer open spaces as evac sites!)
- The rescue center is always there for refitting
- Mission ends when all 175 survivors are rescued or dead
- Playtime is around two hours

Enjoy your strategic freedom!
- Hurry the evacs or play it safe
- Sacrifice groups of survivors if you like to
- Disperse your squad over the whole island or not
- Try to eliminate the zombies or not

But in the end
- Measure your success by the number of rescued survivors! (max score 17500)

What do you think, is that the "spoiler" you were missing all the time?

EDIT:
One more thing. You repeated, that it isn't clear how to kill the zombies. But I'm using this line
Hide their bodies to prevent resurrection.
in the tutorial.
Is something wrong with it? Maybe it isn't it called like this in english OFP, if the BlackOps hide dead bodies?
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2005, 16:27:20 by Trapper »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2005, 05:40:30 »
The newer hints look fine to me Trapper. There was confusion for Cheetah, as with me, that you have to get close in to the center of the civils to get the 'action'. All explained in briefing, but it's buried deep.

Ditto moving civils is a MUST and again, confusion for Cheetah, and myself, why they suddenly took off. Took a few tries to realise my map clicking was the cause of it.

Keeping ai driving OUT of towns is essential. You need to emphasise it. Unfortunately players can get themselves in a pickle with retries and cheatsaves. In my case  I had to mostly start over.

>Burying bodies

no problem at all at any time. It was the one comment in the briefing i really really needed to see. I saw it, and it needs emphasising. Players need to have some feeling of defeating the enemy apart from winning.

To speed things up, to give player more 'ideas' more 'strategy' to win. I would let him control the rescue convoys to the extent that he can order them to wait at various towns (eg). Ie let the player tell them, ultimately, to return to base, but let him also prepare a strategy. Moving everyone concerned around the map like a chess game.
Just say no to bugz