Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OPEC Ratings  (Read 1487 times)

bobrgb

OPEC Ratings
« on: 19 May 2005, 19:30:24 »
As if you site did not have enough to keep up with, it is my opinion that some of the top rated single missions are quite out done by many newer, exciting scenarios. For example, Hornets Nest could be downgraded to a seven or such after such missions as Welsh Embassy or BAS_TSF_InternalConflict and many other excellent missions. For its time, HN was a good one to sink many replays into but weapon selection and terrain features of newer plays have taken the game up a notch, to say the least.

Dubieman

Re:OPEC Ratings
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2005, 21:06:03 »
I'm not the official MD spokesman, but I'm gonna say we don't compare missions when scoring. It'd be a bit unfair, plus no matter the story (usually) if the mission is solid or has a fun feature that works well, its going to get good marks for it. Also, we'd need a committee to go around comparing hundreds of missions to each other and then later changing scores and comparing again and again. The job would never end. :P

So I don't think your idea is feasable.
 (sp :P)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2005, 21:07:10 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2005, 23:31:14 »
It is undisputed that absolute standards have risen over time.    In other words, what might have scored 7 or 8 a couple of years ago might only score 5 or 6 now.

However, relative scores have not changed.    The average mission - at the time - scores around 5.    If you want a very high score it's helpful to do something in the mission that's never been done before.   Once upon a time you could achieve that with stuff that is now regarded as commonplace.  But the funny thing is, people keep inventing and discovering new stuff about this wonderful game.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2005, 12:40:48 »
Yeah, maybe we should also start a petition to deny
Brazil's Soccer World Cups from old times, as 'Pele'
seems not to be able anymore to challenge with the
rest of FIFA. ;D

And then also we should take off america from the americans, as rumors told, that 'Christoph Columbus' was absent lately. :P

Nah, ratings given for a mission are also related to their
time of release and their actual originality.  ;)

You can always have a look at the release/preview date of
a mission, and from those missions who even keep their quality
forever, you should hear/read every now and then around on
some forums.

Also the rating of a reviewed mission is rather mirroring more
an individual impression from the reviewer than from the whole
comunity. This would leed to the next term that missions should
be reviewed by almost everybody, to aproove it's ratings validity...............what a waste of time and resources, when there are such a lot of missions.........and for whom? some stragglers who were not on right place in right time  ;D

No offence to anybody who came in later, but something like
this would really be useless. Alot of these pioneers in mission
making are not on board anymore anyways - why downgrading
their partially 'milestones' in mission editing?

If you yourself have the chance to compare a '9' from 2002
to a '7' from nowadays, you have even the chance to see how
mission editing proceeded from then to now.  ;)

:edit - oh and btw - it's OFPEC and not OPEC  :)
OPEC is the Organisation of Petrol Exporting Countries and is in
no way related to mission reviewing - at least this is what media told.  8)

~S~ CD
« Last Edit: 23 May 2005, 12:43:16 by Chris Death »
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2005, 16:33:16 »
* Artak puts on his OPEC hat and writes down with his OPEC sponsor pen..

I agree. There's no point in us going through all the older missions and lowering their score if needed. It would be an enormous project. And who's to say where we'd draw the line between an 'old mission' and a 'new age mission'. Basically we'd have to re-review all the old missions up to a certain point, which can't be determined.
No. Everyone just must understand that the bar is set higher now than it was back in the old days when everything was new and exciting.

Thanks for the suggestion though, bobrgb.
Not all is lost.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2005, 16:57:21 »
sure many of the missions arent as good as others but there still good for example i dont like the Unimpossible mission thats my opinion but its still a solid mission wich works, has a nice story, no bugs, nice intro and things like that wich gets it high scores bt if i was marking it and i came across a mission wich i really enjoyed more than unimpossible mission i would give the mission i enjoyed i would end up givin the more enjoyable one a higher score but that wouldnt be fair others might not like it as much so its all about opinion so i think we should keep the way it is.