Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: convoy stay on road  (Read 1152 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
convoy stay on road
« on: 21 Apr 2005, 15:08:32 »
okay then i have a convoy wich consists of 1 m1a1 abram in lead then a Hmmvw then a refuel then a rearm and then finally another Hmmvw
   The convoy wont stay on the road well half on half the abrams tracks are on the others are off. I have set a waypoint wich is
speed : full
combat mode : no change
formation : colum
behaviour :careless
what can i do to keep them on the road

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Re:convoy stay on road
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2005, 15:15:29 »
Try changing speed from full to normal.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2005, 15:43:27 »
in my experience, trucks and jeeps stick to the middle of the road, tanks and armoured vehicles like bmps and such don't always do so. as far as i know there's nothing you can do about it. by default these vehicles are 'cross-country'...  :-\
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2005, 15:43:45 by bedges »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2005, 16:52:26 »
Mixing wheels and tracks in convoys is always tricky and often impossible.     Speed normal, column and safe is the accepted best bet.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

reima

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2005, 12:06:51 »
When setting waypoints to convoys, why does the convoy always stops on the waypoint?

Is there any trick to make the convoy move smoothly over waypoints?

it looks stupid when the convoy moves like this

*start*........*stop*   ..........*stop* ...........*stop*

coz it should be like this?

*start*...................................................... *stop*

StonedSoldier

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2005, 13:06:24 »
im seem to be the only one in the OFP community that seems to be able to make convoys work 100% correctly first time, every time,

basic trick to get a smooth journey, only have the one waypoint at the convoys destination that way the vehicles will guide themselves there using the roads as much as possible.

Soft vehicles tend to nicely stay on the road most of the time

Armoured need to be in safe mode to follow roads (try not to mess with there speed), other wise they will just drive cross country

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2005, 13:18:00 »
Units always stop at waypoints.

If it's really important you can make units move without pausing at waypoints, but it's tedious, resource intensive and if it's just for a convoy not worth the trouble.     As StonedSoldier suggests, just use as few waypoints as possible.

Hertog Jan

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2005, 13:35:05 »
You can use only 2 waypoints, 1 for the start and 1 at the destination. The column will find it's way by theirself. I don't know your mission, but units or objects you manually placed NEAR the road (they don't even have to be placed ON the road to cause this) can cause vehicles to do strange things and make huge detours, while they just can carry on normally....

Offline supershooter

• Members
  • 2+2=4
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2005, 16:42:48 »
hi

its a long way round but I get best results when I don't group the convoy. So each veichle has its own waypoint. This is how I have done it for a while and it works fine.

-supershooter

reima

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2005, 09:11:20 »
hi

its a long way round but I get best results when I don't group the convoy. So each veichle has its own waypoint. This is how I have done it for a while and it works fine.

-supershooter

Then what about the distances (Between vechiles)? Don't they 'stretch out' ( < im not sure about that word, hope you know what I mean :P )

By the way, what's the best way to put vechiles and infantry
in the same convoy ( they should stick together, ofcourse ::) ).

Should I put them together or should I put different waypoints for them?
And how do I put the speed? ( infantry = full? vechile = limited? )

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2005, 09:47:30 »
in some cases having just the two waypoints (one at start, one at destination) won't take the convoy by the route you want them to take. if the stopping-at-waypoints irks you, put the waypoints at junctions. that way the convoy stops anyway to traverse the corner, and the halt is less noticeable.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2005, 10:14:44 »
Full speed is not so much to do with speed per se:   it's more to do with group behaviour.   On full speed, the group leader will just press on without waiting for stragglers to catch up.

reima

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2005, 10:32:37 »
ok. Good to know..

Offline SAS4Life

• Members
  • Sas4life
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2005, 15:13:32 »
personally i would set the behaviour as safe this might work and make them stick to the road