Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Deep Water  (Read 11757 times)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
(Review Completed) [SP] Deep Water
« on: 19 Apr 2005, 14:39:37 »
LATEST VERSION, LINK ON PAGE 3

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.

Features:
Voice acting. (All by me. I need voice actors to help me out, so if you can do an American accent, contact me.)
Weapons selection.
Alternate endings.
Full radio support. (Bravo squad etc.)
and more.

Mission Background.
A US Senator's son has been kidnapped by terrorists and taken to a safehouse on the island of Everon. The president has authorised the use of force to get him back and your SEAL team has been chosen to do the job.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you've got a mission here waiting to be tested, let me know and I'll take a look.

Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2009, 01:26:16 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:Deep Water Tears of the Sun SEAL Mission
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2005, 17:59:33 »
it'll be interesting to test something from another of the leading lights in the community :)

mkay. here we go.

No entry 'config.bin/CfgVehicles.ZU23R'.

briefing -

plan

typo 'excercise'
'smash and grab' could be 'smash-and-grab'
'Full Details' doesn't need a capital D

detailed plans -

siterep - 'Weather in the Area..,' doesn't need capital A.

infiltration - 'Its a swim exactly...' needs an it's. 'coms' could be comms?

communication tower - 'Its a small island' needs an it's. 'shows there's only three' should be 'there're', or ideally 'there are'.

the lift - 'so its just a case of fighting...' needs an it's. 'i want to see all you're ugly faces...' should be 'your'. 'He'll be the only one with the American accent' could be 'an American accent'.

exfiltration - 'into the village if its clear' needs an it's.

friendly forces - '...same way they came in. Via....' could be a comma, and one sentence, make it read easier. typo 'independant'.

enemy forces - typo 'assaninations'. typo 'Norwiegian'. 'The FIA are are still fighting...' '...main base of operations and its...' needs an it's. 'Its not much to worry about...' needs an it's.

team members -

mike loud - typo 'immediatly'.
steve blackmon - needs a paragraph break before his bit.
mitch mcdonald - is it 'motorcross' or 'motocross'? google says either.
demarco robinson - typo 'portugese'.
donovan ryan - typo 'artic'.
kobe abbas - typo 'weaponary'. typo 'langauges'.

link back from team members to objectives appears all on its own page.

notes -

typo 'second, its freezing' needs an it's. same with 'then its his problem'. typo 'accross'. typo 'shoudn't'.

right. now after having pointed all that out, i just want to say this is one of the very best briefings i have seen to date. mine tend to be as complex but not as well laid out. i'll be following a format very like this from now on. great stuff, loads of info, clearly stated. could maybe do with a few more pictures, and the pics there are might benefit from borders, but otherwise, excellent.

mission -

so far i've tried the initial swim twice, and neither time did my buddies follow me. i skipped the swim on this the third attempt, and we're all on the shore.

radio tower is disabled after just the tent loons are dropped. there are still loons outside who could possibly operate it...

after taking out the castle guards i immediately get a message about two loons on their way up... perhaps a wee pause here would be useful.

took out the guards in saint pierre a couple at a time from the treeline southwest of the town, then suddenly 2 reports a couple of loons in the woods behind us... sheeit. the alarm goes off and we're rumbled. heheh. the tone of this mission is very good. lots of silent stalking, and when the cover is blown, it's blown with gusto :)

there are a few 'runners', and i'm not fast enough to drop them. i remember reading about the north road in the briefing, so i have only myself to blame if reinforcements arrive.

i ask bravo to kill the lights and we start picking off badguys. once the lights are out and the action has died down, i prone across to the t72 (helpfully pointing away from the action) and satchel it.

i then move around the main group of houses, switch to pistol and start dropping the guards (who are standing there waiting for it, it seems), into the house and free the prisoner. i notice at this point that the seals' voices are quite quiet, the hostage's voice rings loud and clear. our words muffled by the swimgear perhaps ;)

i invite bravo to join us, order the hostage up into the relative safety of the woods, and then try to summon the evac chopper - strange hint here - "no radio present" or something. ho hum.

i zip around in the dark dropping any remaining loons when suddenly a few of my buddies are dropped, and i spy reinforcements coming up from the beach. drop them no problem. i take out the last armoured truck after an explosion from behind the town tells me bravo has taken care of the new tank.

there's a chopper (looks like a gunship) overhead, and i wonder why it's not landing. i sweep the area one last time looking for the last loons in case that's what the chopper's waiting for (meeting bravo in the town - lucky i held fire ;) ), when i realise the evac chopper has already landed at the beach and is patiently waiting for us... me stoopid  ::)

in we get and off we go.

no outro

debrief attached.

overall

i want to go back and start this again. i must admit i was daunted by the number of addons needed, but they do add quite a bit to this. it's unfortunate that the mission is so dark, not being able to see the full effect of the new seal loons. the weaponry is excellent, i'll be going back to try it all out. my only comment on the equipment was that it made things pretty easy (until we were spotted) - i picked off loons from miles away, tackled pretty much everyone on my own. the others were just there for backup fire when things went awry.

the radio chats all worked, although as mentioned, they were pretty quiet and/or muffled.

plenty of savegames, perhaps too many? they were all in helpful spots, i.e. on approach to the town, after releasing the hostage, etc. but perhaps cut them down to after things have happened, let the cautious player save before if s/he must.

the missing addon seems to be the anti aircraft gun, as that's the incomplete objective... didn't spot that anywhere, although to be fair i didn't go looking for it either, thinking if the addon was missing, it would be too.

i'll go back over this again, give it a proper beta shakedown to try and force some errors, but otherwise everything works - apart from my buddies staying out at sea when not skipping the swim. i'll report back with any obvious problems.

great stuff, strong storyline, executed with style. nice one :)
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2005, 13:29:41 by bedges »

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2005, 16:20:39 »
I must admit, I love these kind of missions. Stealthy approaches, silenced weapons, taking out the enemy wihtout them noticing. Just brilliant.

Bedges coverd most of it, but here's my story. :)

This mission is screaming for an intro! ;D

The athmosphere is good, I love the swim part. I saw a boat passing by the CIA guy but the guys on the boath didn't pay that much attention to him. It seemed a bit weird.
Once we got to the shore, a BTR passed us! Fuck, you can't believe how relieved I was that I told my loons to hold fire and stay quiet. The tincan passed without him ever knowing we were there. I loved that, brilliant. :) We geared up and headed for the radio mast. I took the small pass straight west from our insertion. I told my guys to stay put while I went to check the place out. Easy as pie, take out the guys at the mast, a burst to the loons at the fire, move closer, shoot the guard and cap one to the loon at the tent. Clear.
Went back to my boys and started moving towards the woods at the north. At this point, I went pass the church, but I'd come back for it. We sneaked up to the church that's north of the town. There were two guys at the road, one at the bunker and one outside it, took them out. Then the BTR came and I had two choices, either take it out or be killed. I chose the first option. Bravo had reported a bit earlier that they were ready to rock. I took out the BTR and called bravo in. Time to rock.
Ordered all of my men to guard the road at the point where the bunker was. It provided them with good cover and they could support me and bravo when we cleared the north part ot Pierre. No problem here, bravo took out the tanks and the rest was a turkey shoot. I saw the hostage at a house, cleared it but didn't go cloe to him yet, I wanted to make sure the town was secure first. Continued on with bravo and we cleared the city pretty fast. I didn't notice any US troops go down either. I was pretty proud of that. :)
I went for the hostage (omg, Hawkin! :D ) and called for evac. Once the chopper was close and reported where he'd land, I got an error:
me1 sidechat "Roger Yankee...." didn't catch the end of the message. It was obviously missing a ".
I went back to the church to check if it had the AA gun.  I took out four loons, obviously they were hiding some weapons, since there were crates here. :) No AA gun though.

Overall, I loved it. I always like to play these kind of missions. I'd like to know where that AA gun is, I never saw it, neither did I see it fire shots at our evac chopper.
I played with ECP, but I think you did use some FX, the combat ambience, the sounds when a flare was shot?, the resistance shouts... They added a lot. I'd love to see an intro and outro for this. Is the hostage randomly placed? Would be great to see him be in different places every time the mission is played. Same goes for the AA gun. :) Didn't see any patrols either, add 2 or 4 2-man-patrols in and around the city.  Some hidden objectives would also be nice, like some radio chat between the player and HQ when the castle ammo stash is discovered. Maybe even add a small random possibility of a second AA gun that's heavily camoflauged that might shoot the evac helo down if the player doesn't find it. Then the player would have to use other means to exfil.
This is just my two cents. I love the mission the way it is now, but adding small things will make it better. :) This ones a true keeper, nice work!

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2005, 20:21:03 »
Cheers for the input guys. There are a few things I'm going to change as a direct result of your feedback. Keep your eyes peeled for the new version coming soon.

I think I understand what the problem is with the AA gun. I think its conflicting with someone-else's addon. I've heard reports that the AA gun emplacement is there but the gun isn't. I'll use a different addon I think.

P.S. There is half an intro that I've made for the mission already. If you un-pbo the mission you'll see it. You have to write this exec "CameraI.sqs" in the init field of the player.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2005, 21:45:31 »
mmmwell i tried the intro, and it's clear flashpoint wanted to do something, but after a brief 'kawhump' sound it popped back to the editor... until i discovered the 'end intro' trigger over the player  ::)

what can i say? the music fits perfectly. the smoking effect is... hats off to whoever came up with it. the entire sequence adds to the story - the senator viewing the tape at the end, great touch.

i will say that although the constant blackouts fit, and other than straight cuts there's no other option, on occasion they were too close together - what they enclosed was too brief. also, a couple of the vehicle shots lasted just that wee bit too long after the vehicle in question had driven out of shot. the shot of the jeep snaking through the countryside into the distance was nice though. ofp can be bonny sometimes...

suggestion for the hostage tape scene - pan back to a camera in the foreground. as it stands, it's not a huge leap to assume they're recording demands, but seeing as there is a camera model in the editor, it would help to reinforce the whole scene.

and they do bash that boy around a bit don't they ;) maybe stick in some front-facing strokefists and hostage falling backward? an fxdismay or two?

otherwise... superb. after seeing the intro, i almost wish the mission was bigger and/or harder. the intro warrants it, definitely.

looking forward to the next beta :)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2005, 22:01:52 »
Yep, the intro is very beta at the moment, that's why I hid it in the download  :P

I have a lot to work on I guess. Its ok though as the whole mission is early beta. I've got outro and outro loose to do yet.

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2005, 19:16:40 »
I was tempted to take a look at the intro. It was really good, even though it's not finished. It has a lot of movie quality and it would fit any Steve Seagal or any other legendary spec op type actor... Good stuff! :) Eagerly waiting to see the finished product.

Acecombat

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2005, 21:01:41 »
FINALLY i got this mission working , turns out it was that damn ZU-23 addon which was giving me those fatal CTD's so i d/lded it again and got the new version and it works now , however a error did pop up at the start.

The mission is good over all the theme is nice but unit selection needs working on i'd say , with the amount of addons youve used already might i suggest using some other units a OPFOR? Like those generic-opfor troops or maybe edges resistance units?

Ok on to the mission:

I started out in water skipped the swimming part landed on beach , everyone talks about crates and i dont see any (wtf? am i blind  :P), i leave it at that and start hiking towards the Comms MAST and kill those poor sods guarding it from a distance and did it with ease (btw that light sweeping the area from those cars was very nice effect  ;) ).

Then i head down , it seems bravo and echo are just about to get their act together and be on time for a joint assault on the town , however i forsee a major problem coming , with no LAWS on me (thanks to the CoC diver mask) i cant neutralize those tanks and BTR's roaming about i take the chance anyway and take down everyone on the coastal side of the town even the BTR by shooting at the driver  8).

We look about for the senators little brat , cant see him here so move in to the main part of town , and meet resistance however the enmy troops act like as if they are blind , killing them is as easy as 1.2.3. I say you need to work on this a bit perhaps improve their skill level? I'd want a bit more resistance from them. As we move in i dont see ECHO doing their job i.e sniping (?). I see the senators son neutralize the buildings guard and get him out unfortunately at that moment my men are cut down by some lucky sods grenades and i'm down to 2 men now. I see 2 T-72's now one gets killed by one of my men who i DONT KNOW from where got a LAW (perhaps he took it up himself  :o  unprecedented action i'd say for OFP's AI , i'd give him a medal) then i see one more so i RUN yes sprint side by side with it as soon as it stops put my satchel charge and RUN for it and then blow it up as soon as i am sure i wont killed by the blast atleast , the tank is smoke as i look back and the crew too  8).

Now troops are coming in from the valley as trucks and BTR's move in , i start chalking up kills from distance as they never see me and own them ALL along with my 2 buddies. Then suddenly i see the Cobra coming up and opening up its arsenal on the baddies (and i never saw the Zu-23 or kill it so how did the cobra come to my assistance?) , then i call for exfil the BH lands i jump aboard still wondering where the hell are BRAVO and ECHO , as we leave of for the Poseidon.

THE END .

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2005, 18:40:42 »
Ok i think ive got the problem fixed i also didnt see the addons needed bit so i am now currently re downloading the addons and i hope the mission will be good
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2005, 12:39:12 by 456820 »

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2005, 13:23:12 »
Multiple AI tweaks and added cutscene are available in my latest version. I will upload it today. Current version is obsolete.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2005, 17:23:37 »
cool i think i will wait for the updated version then but i think ive also got the right addons

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2005, 22:20:28 »
LATEST VERSION ON PAGE 3

Finally got the new version ready to go. You can get it at the same place as the last version. Here's a link.

http://www.freewebs.com/thekillingground/docs.htm

The file is called "Deep Water"
Read my first post for details.

I have changed one addon, the faulty ZU-23. It is no longer needed. However, a new AA gun has been added in its place. The new addon list reads,

Super Cobra - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=5906
      Seal Divers Pack + Needed Addons - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=7151
      Nacho's Zodiac - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=4121
      Extraction's Seahawk Pack - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=7617
      2cm Flak cannon - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=8152
      NoRSu's BTR-60 - http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=4836

As always, Freewebs is a bitch, so a mirror would be greatly appreciated.
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2005, 14:11:39 by The-Architect »

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2005, 10:25:58 »
Ok, I'll get a mirror up once I get this, if no one beats me to it. :) ETA is three hours. ;D

Offline supershooter

• Members
  • 2+2=4
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2005, 10:33:18 »
hey

get a mirror up as soon as possible beacuse its gonna take me all year to dl from freewebs! it says 2 hours remaining on broadband and its only 10mbs.

Offline Hawkins

• Former Staff
  • Team 2-2
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2005, 15:11:40 »
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2005, 15:12:13 by Hawkins »