Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Pirate ships  (Read 1832 times)

U.S Orava

Re:Pirate ships
« Reply #15 on: 04 Aug 2004, 19:04:36 »
what about a mission based on waterloo, with these addons.....???

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #16 on: 04 Aug 2004, 23:46:39 »
"what about a mission based on waterloo"

A few problems with that . . .

First, the game sounds don't really lend themselves to a Napoleonic environment unless you have a great imagination ("Watkins, tke three men and cover the left with your muskets" becomes "3, 4, 5, 9 - go to Tree, nine o'clock").

Second, even the smallest Napoleonic battle had thousands of men on each side whereas OFP can handle at most only around 200 men per side.  You can play Napoleonic skirmishes, but not battles.    :-[

Finally, until someone comes up with a good working horse the whole flavour of pre-WWI combat is imposible.  From what I've read (and played) Napoleonic combat was all about infantry vs cavalry vs artillery vs infantry etc.  Leave out the cavalry and you lose 90% of what made that period tick.

That being said, I am certain that someone, somewhere is working on solving all of these problems via OFP right this minute . . .  ;D

Cheers

Roni

U.S Orava

« Reply #17 on: 05 Aug 2004, 12:45:15 »
i though something like this : full scale inf attack with those old cannon firing in the background. You are right about that waterloo, but this map could be a little flank attack and the main battle is elswhere, it is shame that ofp dont really support these REALLY BIG battles cause all the historical battles were quite big if you know what i mean   :(

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #18 on: 06 Aug 2004, 04:07:57 »
I'm not sure of this but I think that the battle at the Alamo was fought by only a few hundred people.  There's a good battle for starters.

Alternatively, you could make a scenario in which a foraging party has to try to get in and out of a certain number of villages while avoiding skirmishers from the other side.  No chance for cannon (unless one of the villages was defended  ;D ) but plenty of running musket battles.

Finally, you could stage a mini engagement with 6-8 groups on each side.  With some form of morale and respawn scripts it could be quite fun.

Cheers

Roni

U.S Orava

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2004, 14:54:11 »
hows that your mission making going?

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2004, 11:01:20 »
Sorry to all, it's still in the works.   :joystick:

I've been working on about a half a dozen projects at the same time, including this, some new addons and even a new world !  Man this game just goes on and on !

If you're really hanging out for a musket masacre then I'm sure that I could throw something together.  The mission that I have in mind uses the Jelhalabat map, the Napoleonic addons and a few scripts, which I've already made up.  The hard part is not mking the mission itself, it's making sure that it's balanced.

But hey - if you end up dying in the end after being swarmed by a hundred sword wielding loonies then maybe that's not too bad, eh ? !

Roni

"Men of Harlech . . . !"

U.S Orava

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2004, 09:36:19 »
Exactly  ;) , i gotta admit that  ofp is pretty huge game, it wont be boring waiting for ofp2