Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Pirate ships  (Read 1831 times)

U.S Orava

Pirate ships
« on: 28 Jul 2004, 14:16:23 »
Is there any sailing ships addons. like those old pirate ships  (in master and commander and pirates of caribbian movies has this kind of ships, if anyone have seen this movies he prob knows what i mean) or imperial age styled ships with cannons i mean the galleons frigates
brigs. it would be nice if there were a seabattle mp mission with this kind of ships

I hope you understand this  topic  :-\
sorry my english

Peter haroski

Re:Pirate ships
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2004, 15:49:19 »
Well, no  :) I would like indeed that kind of maps. And I understand your english :)

Coldfire

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2004, 00:36:05 »
How about modern pirates? Small, fast boats with a couple of mounted machine guns and stuff. It would go well with the USCG pack that was relesed recently...

bigdog632

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2004, 03:25:41 »
is there a way to script it to board the other ships in order to steal them or loot them?

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2004, 05:11:53 »
Type "Napoleonic Flashpoint" into your search engine.  The modders have made French, British and Prussian units, ships, barques and a whole mess of other units which I havent tried (like a wagon and a heavy cannon).

Happy trails !

Roni

U.S Orava

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2004, 12:06:45 »
Hey thx a lott roni , those are pretty good addons especialy that cannon <--- i have been looking something like that.  there were few ships , that frigate looked little funny but it will do it , im going to make a little mp mission with those addons, maybe a seabattle
or couple frigates attack enemy fort
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2004, 12:08:05 by U.S Orava »

U.S Orava

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2004, 12:10:50 »
How about modern pirates? Small, fast boats with a couple of mounted machine guns and stuff. It would go well with the USCG pack that was relesed recently...
it would be a good idea, but myself  im doing some historical maps
becouse there aint much of them in ofp

U.S Orava

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2004, 14:05:03 »
i just visited the napoleonic ofp and quess what, that frigate was just a object and u cant use it, well the search continues  :-\

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2004, 00:09:17 »
A while back I was thinking about creating a "Rorke's Drift" or "Zulu Dawn" type scenario.  I was wracking my brains on how I could make British soldiers then decided to simply Google for "OFP musket" and voila - Napoleonics !   :D

I am still working on a mission involving hundreds of screaming savages with strokefist or strokerifle versus the aforementioned stout British riflemen.  I'm using the Jelhalabat map - it's based on Afghanistan and it has one area in the northwest that is rolling desert surrounding a hilltop camp and fort - it makes a perfect site !

There was a battle at the end of the First Afghan War in 1841 at a place called Gundamak.  It wasn't strictly a battle, more of a slaughter, because in the end every last British soldier was killed.  It was a running series of engagements leading up to the final battle at Gundamak hill - I am thinking that if I properly script it with triggers and waypoints and the like it should make a pretty good scenario.  Except maybe thi time the Brits might win !   ;D

Of course, you could do heaps more with the mod, such as Waterloo, the Spanish Campaign, the Crimean War, War of 1812 and so on.  The possibilities are endless.

Until I got sidetracked I was thinking abut making an addaction script for the player that would let him call for volley fire or independent fire.  Volley fre would be simple - set the group to "Hold Fire" until the Fire order was given, then up each unit's skill, let them loose for a second, then set them to Hold Fire again.

This would make for great tactical decisions - accurate volley fire or more rapid independent fire ?  :hmm:  :gunman:

Man I love this game !

Roni

U.S Orava

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2004, 16:36:28 »
really good idea roni all the luck to our mission making, when its ready let me know i will like to try it, and it would be a nice mp
map altough there would be too much addons

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2004, 02:14:31 »
Thanks for that - Orava !

Actually, the Napoleonic pack comes as only one or two addons (I think), which contain all of the new units, weapons etc.  The big problem is not the addons required - it's the scripting.  :joystick:

This actually isn't THAT bad a problem as I now have most of what I need in one form or another.  For the past 6 months or so I have been working on a number of AI seek and destroy scripts.

One such script send the bad guys directly onto the position of the nearest enemy unless it has taken too manay casualties.  Combined with a group respawn script it makes for a wicked running battle - charge, gunfire, massive casualties, one side retreats and reforms, charge again and so on endlessly.

It's great to watch, especially as a civilian !  :o

What I wanted to do was have the players running up the valley in a group of (say) 12 riflemen, with respawn set to "Group".  Have about 3-4 pursuing Afghan tribesmen groups mostly armed with swords and clubs (strokefist/strokerifle), with one or two lousy shots armed with muskets just to keep you on your toes.

As you run you will keep setting off triggers that will bring in more groups on to your flanks.  You CAN stop and fight and try to either slow them down or break through, but the odds will be against you.  And if you keep running, pretty soon you will end up at the aforementioned hill fort, surrounded on all sides.  If you can survive (say) one hour then the cavalry will arrive and save the day.  Ta da !  ;D

As I said, the scripting is mostly worked out, the hard part will be tweaking the arrival times, group sizes etc to make it a balanced fight.

As a project it IS in the works !

Cheers

Roni

U.S Orava

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2004, 14:12:17 »
it would be nice if in the fort would be some towers and walls where you can shoot becouse i think there should be a littlle chance of reducing the enemys numbers before they get near you  ;D

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2004, 01:51:46 »
Actually, the combination of the seek to kill script and the respawn script makes that sort of thing happen naturally.  A group will charge forward, get shot to pieces and then run away.  The trick is to keep that happening all over the compound - if all of the enemy groups charge at once then it gets really tough to stop them.

:noo:  :help:  :gunman:  
>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Another interesting outcome of the scripts is that if you chase the damaged group down and finish it off then its respawn script will fail and stop working.  This means that if you CAN, then you should always try to counterattack and finish off a damaged group for good, even if you fail then at least it will take longer to recover.

I've only actually tested the scripts with two enemy groups but so far they seem to work pretty well.  The real test of course will be getting the right balance in numbers between pursuing, respawning bad guys and gun armed good guys  :-\

I WILL post the scripts and draft mission in the next week or so !

Cheers

Roni
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2004, 01:54:18 by Roni »

U.S Orava

« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2004, 10:51:21 »
how about 5 vs 1 , dont make the savages per riflemen count too high cause you got to reload your weapon , but if the riflemens would have too a somekind of a melee weapon , first they will shoot empty their magazine and then they will engage to close combat and then reload their weapon for the next wave and so on

Just a idea  ;D

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2004, 13:35:41 »
My sentiments exactly !  ;D

Bugger the facts, it's all about how it FEELS, and I reckon that 5 to 1 would feel just perfect !

Now to make the rest of the mission support that ratio . . .

U.S Orava

« Reply #15 on: 04 Aug 2004, 19:04:36 »
what about a mission based on waterloo, with these addons.....???

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #16 on: 04 Aug 2004, 23:46:39 »
"what about a mission based on waterloo"

A few problems with that . . .

First, the game sounds don't really lend themselves to a Napoleonic environment unless you have a great imagination ("Watkins, tke three men and cover the left with your muskets" becomes "3, 4, 5, 9 - go to Tree, nine o'clock").

Second, even the smallest Napoleonic battle had thousands of men on each side whereas OFP can handle at most only around 200 men per side.  You can play Napoleonic skirmishes, but not battles.    :-[

Finally, until someone comes up with a good working horse the whole flavour of pre-WWI combat is imposible.  From what I've read (and played) Napoleonic combat was all about infantry vs cavalry vs artillery vs infantry etc.  Leave out the cavalry and you lose 90% of what made that period tick.

That being said, I am certain that someone, somewhere is working on solving all of these problems via OFP right this minute . . .  ;D

Cheers

Roni

U.S Orava

« Reply #17 on: 05 Aug 2004, 12:45:15 »
i though something like this : full scale inf attack with those old cannon firing in the background. You are right about that waterloo, but this map could be a little flank attack and the main battle is elswhere, it is shame that ofp dont really support these REALLY BIG battles cause all the historical battles were quite big if you know what i mean   :(

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #18 on: 06 Aug 2004, 04:07:57 »
I'm not sure of this but I think that the battle at the Alamo was fought by only a few hundred people.  There's a good battle for starters.

Alternatively, you could make a scenario in which a foraging party has to try to get in and out of a certain number of villages while avoiding skirmishers from the other side.  No chance for cannon (unless one of the villages was defended  ;D ) but plenty of running musket battles.

Finally, you could stage a mini engagement with 6-8 groups on each side.  With some form of morale and respawn scripts it could be quite fun.

Cheers

Roni

U.S Orava

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2004, 14:54:11 »
hows that your mission making going?

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2004, 11:01:20 »
Sorry to all, it's still in the works.   :joystick:

I've been working on about a half a dozen projects at the same time, including this, some new addons and even a new world !  Man this game just goes on and on !

If you're really hanging out for a musket masacre then I'm sure that I could throw something together.  The mission that I have in mind uses the Jelhalabat map, the Napoleonic addons and a few scripts, which I've already made up.  The hard part is not mking the mission itself, it's making sure that it's balanced.

But hey - if you end up dying in the end after being swarmed by a hundred sword wielding loonies then maybe that's not too bad, eh ? !

Roni

"Men of Harlech . . . !"

U.S Orava

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2004, 09:36:19 »
Exactly  ;) , i gotta admit that  ofp is pretty huge game, it wont be boring waiting for ofp2