Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Session length  (Read 1230 times)

Dubieman

Session length
« on: 12 Jul 2004, 21:36:21 »
When I have to sign in again after changing my sigs what is the session length for? I've gone past 60 before and it didn't seem to matter. Does it keep the name GRK on for 60 minutes in the forum? ???

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
Re:Session length
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2004, 21:46:50 »
The session length is how many minutes you will stay logged in as GRK before your session expires and you have to log in again.

However, because it's simply a "Cookie Time To Live" thing, it can be affected by settings and programs in your PC that deal with Cookies.

If you have a cookie cleaner or blocker, then you'll find it may shorten your session, but it will never lengthen it.

Hope this helps.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2004, 22:21:12 »
Ahh okay. The thing is I have Adware and it supposedly cleans out cookies and data miners very well. I don't think it affects the ofp cookie cause I've never ever had to resign in unless I change my sig or avatar text.

Not of great importance but just curious. ::) :)

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2004, 22:54:04 »
AdAware has never asked me to clean out my OFPEC cookies, as they couldn't be classed as dataminers or "bad cookies".
They don't track anything, they simply provide persistent session settings.

The session length is useful if you don't want to be permanently logged in at that PC (for example, I use it when I'm at work, so I can log in during the day but I know that when I leave, the cookie will expire soon after and noone can abuse my admin account while I'm at home).

:)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2004, 01:40:33 »
No adware doesn't go after it at all. :o

I see what you mean though. But I don't have coworkers peering into my office to see when I'm away to hack my account.  :D ;)

Of course I have no office job with a computer... :P :)

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2004, 13:49:50 »
Basically, what it means is that if you don't tick the "Keep me logged in" checkbox, after 60 minutes (or longer/shorter, if you change the number) the session will expire and you are no longer logged in.

If you close the webbrowser however, the session automatically terminates.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"