Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Some tips for addon scripter & mission designer  (Read 9072 times)

Offline uiox

• Contributing Member
Re:Some tips for addon scripter & mission designer
« Reply #60 on: 04 May 2003, 21:36:32 »
If you kill a unit during a MP mission, you see the unit fall down. Your client sends a variable/event to the server, if the variable/event is lost during transfert, your unit will "respawn" when server will do an update.
Sometime when server lag the unit disepears and "respawn" 20 meters away, when the server update your data.
You can imagine what a server needs for preserve the integrity of MP mission. Imagine for understanding how it works because we don't have infos from BIS.

This thread is for tips:

Some commands are only server side. For start a command, a formation of your squad for exemple, you need to execute it on server side. For start a command on the server you need a loop only on it (if not the command will do 2 times, local and server, can create bugs or bad effects).
For detect the server you use a logic (Dinger have explain well that), and start the loop. After you call your loop with public variables, it's a part where the imagination of the scripter is necessary because you don't have array and string, so the most part of the time you have to imagine your own conventions.

In this thread you can see some commands test by scripters if they need to be server side or on each clients or only local.

An other good tip for MP scripting the Rom's tip:
How to start a script on each client with the init field of the command createvehicle. More he explains how to start a script DURING MP Mission a script only on the server.

And last Dinger's code for solve advanced MP scripting. In it you can see how build a public variable with call, many tests for see or wait for the status of server, how to test if transmission is receive, and many other tips...

I know it's a little bit in desorder, but if this thread can help some MP scripters, cause test MP mission is hard.
Last tip
For test if your PC is powerfull you can test a MP mission, you start a first OFP do the server and start a second session of OFP for the client on the same PC.

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #61 on: 04 May 2003, 23:30:37 »
"For test if your PC is powerfull you can test a MP mission, you start a first OFP do the server and start a second session of OFP for the client on the same PC. "

Wow I didn't know thats possible - gr8 tip uiox!

btw. stupid question but I don't know: How do I find out the adress of the server when I want to join with the client instance of OFP?

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #62 on: 04 May 2003, 23:45:38 »
use "LAN" instead of internet to connect to the machine
and yeah, MP testing is a PITA.
VB's editing console is really useful.
Dinger/Cfit

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!