Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Regarding the rules...  (Read 2723 times)

Ex-RoNiN

Regarding the rules...
« on: 20 Aug 2002, 13:19:25 »
Wolfsbane posted the board rules in Announcements. One of them was:

OFPEC is a Website based around realism, and will not entertain any Posts of a non-feasible / impossible / non- realistic nature. There is no place for Sci-Fi or otherwise on this Forum. Please take such posts elsewhere, as your Thread will simply be locked and Deleted. This is not open to debate.

Now, I am working on a mission that has quite a bit of a fantasy story line behind it, but "evil demons" and "evil spirits" are Spets Natz and other soldiers and combating them is still conducted in the normal OFP manner.

Will such a mission be reviewed at OFPEC?

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Re:Regarding the rules...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2002, 14:41:19 »
as far as i know, semi fantsay missions are ok.... i made one a while back with the undead and such like and i didnt get any flak for it

the sci fi part bit of the rules is mainly for addons - cos we dont want them - because how do you review an addon whihc isnt realistic? you cant mark it down for not looking correct etc

so.... go ahead with it - it should be ok.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Ex-RoNiN

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2002, 16:25:07 »
Thanks a lot mate :)

Offline Mike_Beil

• Former Staff
    • OFP Editing Center...I pity the foo who doesn't visit it!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2002, 04:04:01 »
It would only be fair to accept it since we DID write a review for "Operation Firefly".  Yes,  We will accept the mission.

Jakerod

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2002, 04:56:00 »
Just out of curisousity what is operation firefly?

Ex-RoNiN

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2002, 12:49:05 »
Just out of curisousity what is operation firefly?

Some kind of fantasy mission I would assume :)

Best bet would be to wait for the return of the missions depot :)

Stu35

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2002, 16:08:35 »
not sure about Firefly, but Firelord certainly was not realistic - it had spetz natz who could lift you up and throw you a hundred metres just by looking at you.

Also Siberian Fox Scored highly - and that was less realistic than a James Bond Film.

Basically we will review anything (that we can get working).

mrstress

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2002, 15:39:44 »
I really enjoyed siberian fox.  I think that it showed some real imagination and was fun to play.   In my view, Firelord and Fox are the two best missions around.
There are a hundred authentic military missions with real tactics and so on, and i like to play those too, but those missions are a refreshing break.  I tried to make a mission around a Special forces team who respond to 'terrorist' attack on an arms factory, but the transport gets destroyed and the player is the only one who escapes.  He gets captured taken to a nuclear weapon facility which has been hijacked (i created a massive facility around the maulden airstrip), and he has an oppourtunity to escape.  Thus ensues a full on Metal gear Solid style mission sneaking around and so.
The mission is highly cinematic - something that is missing from most missions.  The plot gets revealed through numerous cutscenes and things like bosses battles, russians, tuxedo clad kgb officers and so on.
I got about 60% then gave up.  It is a shame that more missions that push the ofp boundries do not exist, as mission design will start to become more stale.  Sci-fi is too much, but most people don't care if a certain add-on gun has the screws and accurately placed like the real gun, or if the tactics used 100% reflect the tactics once by the portugese army in 1987.  It doesn't matter about total accuracy.  Try to have a bit of fun, originality and cinematics in the missions.

Anmac

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2002, 06:25:38 »

True... S.Fox was great.  But missions that rely heavily on cinematic can bore the player.

Most ppl are looking for missions to play, not watch.

That is probably why these missions are few and far between.  Which makes them more enjoyable when a good one does come along.

What more can I say other that OFP Rules because of it's lack of limitation.  It's only restricted by your imagination.

;)

mrstress

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2002, 15:00:50 »
I'd agree with your last point.

But a cinematic mission doesn't necessarily mean lots of cutscenes.  There is a moment in flashpoint that I call the 'John Wayne moment' which is when you single-handedly do something single handedly with bravado.
An example of this would be like the second mission in red hammer.  All my squad died really quickly, so I had to storm two bases on my own.  Which is a great feeling when finally done (the statistics debreifing makes interesting reading).  ;)
The classification of whether a mission is cinematic or not is down to the underlying ideas, rather than the amount of cutscenes.  And in these missions, realism isn't paramount.  It may not be realistic for special forces to land helicopters on top of tower blocks and sniper people or base jump, but it makes for a really fun and original mission.
For this reason, I thnik that unrealistic mssions shouldn't be discouraged.