Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Officer training  (Read 1086 times)

Nobby

Officer training
« on: 23 Apr 2003, 18:39:31 »
Are there any missions out there that teach you how to be a leader?
Including such things as:
Which formation to be in if you're in wide open areas, towns, or other such scenarios.

And

How to direct your troops to be in the most effective posistions.

And

Being able to spot ambushes and where an MG might be hidden.

Mainly it would be the tactics and stratagies that would come in most useful as at them moment I just don't have a clue and all my men are getting slaughtered before I know whats going on.
If there is such a mission then would you direct me to it and if there isn't then would someone with military knowledge consider making one.
Cheers.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Officer training
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2003, 19:26:19 »
In the original campaign there is a mission which attempts to do a little of that, but it's not very helpful as I recall.    I don't know of such a misson and it would be a good idea.

However, in OFP group leading is very personal.  There is rarely a "right" way and a "wrong" way.  Also, you rarely have time for close control of your group.    Having all your men slaughtered while you have no idea what's going on happens to me quite often, I wouldn't worry about it.

Splitting your squad into fire teams (red, green, blue etc) can be very useful.  If you do split into two fire team you would normally (as infantry) place the other team something like 100m away from you and attacking the same point from a different angle.

Few personal tips

• There's no doubt at all that Wedge is the best general, all round formation.    I use Line sometimes for attacks, and occasionally Echelon if the nature of the ground/axis of attack dictates it.    Column is only for getting loons through narrow spaces.    Vee is for "reconnaissance by getting your loons shot."
  • I use Hold fire quite a lot, particularly when approaching enemy positions (or when they are approaching you).   If you can launch and ambush or surprise attack at 100m or less, you have a good chance of wiping most of the enemy out before they know what's hit them.
  • The default position is prone.    If you are standing up you are running.    If you are standing still you are dead.    There are obviously some exceptions, for example when you know it is safe.   The AI is very sensitive to movement, particularly by standing loons.
  • I issue Return to Formation commands quite frequently to stop loons from getting lost
  • As group leader there are quite a lot of commands available to you.   You should at least know what they all do, even if you don't actually use all of them.

An effective position for a loon is lying in a bush with a good field of fire.

You should expect an ambush round every single corner.   Usually there isn't one of course, but if you always assume that there is then you never get ambushed. ;D

Towns are deadly.   I rarely enter a town unless I've covered two sides of it from outside, that way you have at least temporarily cleared the open ended streets.   Once you're in, keep your head turning.

I started to write this as a kind of a plan for how a training mission might turn out, but there is just sooo much to cover.  Training campaign more like it.

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2003, 21:16:58 »
dere is no way 2 teach how 2 b officer :-\

its each 1 nd his style ;D

da best way 2 learn is from expirience - jump 2 beta board, nd play misions ;) til u find da startegies u luv 2 use ;D

@ mac

You should expect an ambush round every single corner.  Usually there isn't one of course, but if you always assume that there is then you never get ambushed.

rofl

like exept da unexpected ::)

just shot bushes ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Iwesshome

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2003, 21:25:56 »
You could create missions using the Chain of Command system....

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2003, 22:26:57 »
well, remember to use the flanks... if you are approaching a town... then attacking along the main road is obvious and deadly...

if there is a forest next to the town, send a squad into it (MG + Grenades) and have them outflank the enemy as the rest of your squad attack... as soon as the enemy are drawn towards your fire, then send in the flank - great way to win  :D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Phantom

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2003, 22:34:17 »
working on that right at this very moment mate, another training manual. it'll be at www.r-s-p.org, but LCD is right, your own style is a major player. we're aiming to put it in there in a way that teaches you to use your style to your advantage.

Phantom