Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Marks for scripting  (Read 1452 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Marks for scripting
« on: 18 Apr 2003, 12:45:54 »
When a mission is reviewed, one of the specific marking categories is "Scripting".

Does this mean scripting by the author himself, or does it not really matter who wrote the scripts?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
Re:Marks for scripting
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2003, 12:56:24 »
I would think it means: the use of scripts in this mission.

Or would you be able to tell who has made a simple ammo
script, using addweapon/addmagazine (taken from the official
comref, offered by BIS)  ;)

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2003, 13:47:16 »
i think it comes like dat

use of scriptin nd how complex r das scripts in da mision ;D

nd it doesnt meen dat scripts da aouthur made - cuz dey rank da mision not scriptin ability of da aouthur ;D nd if dere r 3rd part scripts in da mision (dats how uts caled ?) da man who made da script is part of da mision makin

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2003, 03:21:09 »
Hallo,

At least in my reviews, it means:
Are scripts used for that mission ? Do they fit to the mission. Do they have bugs, are they easy to use (if there is some player interaction)?

I do not care who made that script (this info should be in the Readme). So IMHO i am not rating the ability of the author, i am rating the mission. Therefore if someone makes a fantastic mission with AddOns and Scripts made by other people, he will get a high grade, too. (The only possiblity to avoid this high grade is not to give credits to the makers in the readme and i find it out ;D ).

Of course "home"-made scripts normally fit better into a mission, but they are also more likely to contain bugs  :P

Greetings
Kuro

P.S.  Just for the extrem cases a mission without scripting, but with works well without it (rare). Normally gets a 4 in scripting. So i have the possiblity to point out bad scripting. IMHO No Scripting is better than buggy scripting.

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2003, 03:43:17 »
So if a mission is done without scriptng but still kicks ass, do you guys mark it down for the simple fact that their is no scripting?

The clever usage of gamelogics, triggers as whatnot takes the same amount of talent as scripting.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2003, 05:47:19 »
No,

i do not mark it down, the overall score is NOT  the average of the single scores !  :D

So if you make a kick ass mission without Intro, Outro, Briefing, Scripting and Overview. You can stll get a Overall 9/10 (For a 10/10 i strongly recommend Intro, Outro, Briefing, Scripting and Overview).

Under the scripting score i also include the use of triggers, Game Logic, functions etc. It must not be stricly in a text file. So if you make very good mission without scripting, it is the same as a mission without Camera work: It is still a very good mission. But do not expect a high score in this special
single score.

Greetings
Kuro

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2003, 13:22:01 »
Thanks all!

*Heads off to Ed Depot to find the best scripts*
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Anmac

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2003, 16:51:41 »

An author that uses original scripts that work SHOULD always get a better scripting score than the dude that just downloaded his from a site like ours.

I thinks it's rude to give dude A 8/10 for scripting when all he did was follow the instructions of the scripts readme.
Then give dude B the same score after he takes the time to write his own custom script that will do what he needs, and makes it work.

In theary a 9/10 is possible without Intro, Outro, Briefing, Scripting and Overview, but for more reasons than I care to list it BETTER NOT EVER HAPPEN HERE.  ;)

2. All missions must contain an overview.html and briefing.html. There are several utilities available from the Editing Center that will assist mission makers in preparing these sections, or you can download examples of each of these files by clicking one of the filenames above.