Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Urban warfare  (Read 1919 times)

SimonRussi

Urban warfare
« on: 14 Apr 2003, 10:57:26 »
I don't know if this has been already discussed...
I made a simple experiment: I took the desert island, filled it with random houses and random enemy units and started patrolling this kinda city with my unit. Guess what? It was quite a fun. So I thougth, has anybody ever thougth about such a mission? I mean, anybody better than me :). The original OFP does not have any house-by-house war situation and the villagges are very small. So, does something like that exist? Or will it ever? I have OFP 1.46, is there something like that in Resistance?

Thanks,
Simon

Offline Batdog

• Members
  • OFPEC'S only rat. DAMN thats cool.
Re:Urban warfare
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2003, 13:28:28 »
There is a big city in Resistance called Lapany. Not big enough for urban combat but bigger than the Cold war crisis city.

As to the idea been done I'm not sure about that.
"Why are you calling me brother."- Solid Snake
"I'm you. I'm your Shadow"-Liquid Snake

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2003, 15:02:26 »
hmmm, the houses in lipany arent really urban conflict suitable - pretovice is probbaly better, with the apartment blocks etc
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

max_killer_payne

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2003, 15:28:23 »
Yeh pertovice, cause you can run across the roads into the apartments, turn around to see your men get mowed down as they cross the road. Then climb to the top of the apartment and give that bast*** a taste of Rocket Propelled Grenade

Captain Winters

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2003, 03:35:04 »
Yea or you could just play Aculaud's fabulous "The Suburbs"

Tanks!  8)

asmodeus

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2003, 03:48:23 »
I somewhat achieved this using an existing city on Kolgujev and then adding buildings to it in my mission "The City of the Dead"..  

I think the best way to do urban warfare in OFP is to create a custom Island for it though..  Using buildings placed in the editor is fine for a human player, but the AI has no idea what to do most of the time.  

However, on a custom Island those AI problems would be lessened, cause the city is supposed to be there.  (if it's done correctly, of course)

And, IMO there are no suitable cities in Resistance for Urban Warfare, unless you add on to them.  (The cities are not large enough or "closed in" enough, IMO)

Asmo

SimonRussi

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2003, 09:41:00 »
yeah Asmodeus, that's what I find. AI units don't "use" walls and houses as protection, most of the time they stay in the middle of streets.
I think the main problem is OFP engine which has been developed mostly for open field combat, so I think that building a custom island won't actually solve the problem, will it?

asmodeus

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2003, 10:31:38 »
lol, good point

I'll be more specific...

A custom Island along with some Mission editing tricks and a little luck..   ;)   ;)   ;D

Asmo

Kaliyuga

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2003, 10:42:19 »
 Did someone say custom island...

with larger cities more suited for urban combat? ;D

give it a couple of weeks more yet, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)

There are however some screenshots to be found at our website  for those who want to take a look see...  

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2003, 10:45:07 by Kaliyuga »

SimonRussi

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2003, 11:35:32 »
i think you mean everoncartel.com. I looked it and yes, we are approaching my view of "urban combat". Anyway, I still think that the problem can get really solved only by changing the engine. I mean, if you build the best city ever, will AI units sneaks along the walls or will they crouch behind a parked car? hmmm... solve it and I'll give you my eternal gratefulness. My girlfriend will hate you forever but... wtf, do you care? :)

Commando

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2003, 21:16:51 »
I say only this: Skye island made by waterman.....
try it and love it(if you're into urban warefare) my 3 spy coop mission is on that island and im adding the ags_industrial buildings + kegeteys editor update houses where i think is needed and then you got plenty of playing grounds. ;D nothing beats having the rock movie theme in the background when you and your 2 friends try to sneak through and gun down spetznats and police agents in the dark alleys..

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2003, 01:35:30 »
My girlfriend will hate you forever but... wtf, do you care?  

depends if ur G/F is prety - i dont want her 2 hate me ;) ::)

but from da oder hand - i can make dat nd c her leave u - nd get her myself ;D

J/K ;)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Captain Winters

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2003, 03:30:17 »
lol

Tanks!  8)