Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] City of the Dead (BAS D/R)  (Read 17077 times)

Kaliyuga

Re:City of the Dead (w/BAS's Delta/Ranger addon!)
« Reply #60 on: 25 Mar 2003, 09:50:28 »
 OK .. I just beat it .....  

not really much has changed since before other than you removing the backup right?       I didnt watch the intro.. cause its the same other than the new units also right? And maybe a few small additions?

It was hard as always... but can get quite annoying when you get shot by some guy hiding in a building or something and there is really no possible way you could see him  ::)
  I was glad   for every savegame I had available.....  

Are you going to return the automatic retry point upon leaving the building with the computers again? I think that was a really good spot for it

Anyways... as others have said in this thread... my AI teamates were absolutely worthless   once we got into the city and I was quickly on my own... I crawled up to the building ..... taking out guys as needed.... then made my way inside.....    

I remembered where the ammo was from when we made that building ;)
so I went and got myself some satchels.....      planted like 5 or 6 around the the buildings there.. including one by the computer....    

I agree with you .. that scaffolding works alot better than the tower we used before ;)  

So .     I left the building..... and planted a couple more satchels on the way out.. got to the edge of the city and touched em all off....   stood up and high tailed it to the extraction.....   I saved my game just outside that final little town where you get picked up and then went in to take it ...

Now.. I personally think this last town is a touch too hard...  there are ....

2 guys on patrol and thats cool....    and an AA soldier is plausible there on the corner  I suppose.. although .. how come he's not shooting at the AH-1  I called in for support ? ;)

then.... the most.. umm.. disturbing part is the two guys lying together in a bush in that city  :noo:     they're near an ammo crate ......   hiding behind a tree.. and in  the bushes....  

regardless... I dont think 5/6 guys is neccesary there.. especially with the tanks that I didnt see but know are there coming as well.....    ;)

Only spotted one "bug"    I was well on my way out of town and to the extraction when one of the supporting squads that were called in must have  spotted a russian.. cause my guy proclaimed... "they have russians on their side"  

other than that.. I'd say its pretty much done..

check the attachment ;)

The Avon Lady

« Reply #61 on: 25 Mar 2003, 10:05:37 »
Now.. I personally think this last town is a touch too hard...  there are ....

2 guys on patrol and thats cool....    and an AA soldier is plausible there on the corner  I suppose.. although .. how come he's not shooting at the AH-1  I called in for support ? ;)

then.... the most.. umm.. disturbing part is the two guys lying together in a bush in that city  :noo:     they're near an ammo crate ......   hiding behind a tree.. and in  the bushes....  

regardless... I dont think 5/6 guys is neccesary there.. especially with the tanks that I didnt see but know are there coming as well.....    ;)
From which direction did you approach the last village where the EZ is? I approached from the EZ side and had no trouble picking off everyone by also going full swing around the back and center of the village.
Only spotted one "bug"    I was well on my way out of town and to the extraction when one of the supporting squads that were called in must have  spotted a russian.. cause my guy proclaimed... "they have russians on their side"
Never understood that message myself. Seems out of place or unnecessary.
check the attachment
How come the second objective isn't checked greeen?

Also, where can I find the Muppets Edition of OFP? ::)

Kaliyuga

« Reply #62 on: 25 Mar 2003, 10:21:39 »
I approached from the EZ side and had no trouble picking off everyone by also going full swing around the back and center of the village.

I just like to bitch and complain ;D

How come the second objective isn't checked greeen?

I don't know.. but I tend to get rather cranky when there's no green.. this will have to be fixed immediately  ;)    Asmo.. get on it  man ... ;D

Also, where can I find the Muppets Edition of OFP? ::)

Don't ask me...  It came with my Moderator's  badge and super secret decoder ring ;)
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2003, 22:49:53 by Kaliyuga »

asmodeus

« Reply #63 on: 25 Mar 2003, 10:47:19 »
Thanks Kali!

Yeah, the intro is pretty much the same.. Changed small things and stuff...  (camera angles, tanks flying across the sky, dead bodies lying around, BIS units used and benchmarking added)

I've never been shot in this mission where it was an unfair shot..  I could always see the path the bullet took and it wasn't ever through a building..  Is that what you're saying happened? Cause I thought all the buildings in that town have good enough walls to prevent that.   ;)

If it's just the fact that they are placed where they are... That's because I lowered the amount of total enemies in the mission to help w/ lag problems..  Therefore I placed the enemies that I kept in much more strategic positions and made them move around less.   ;)

I know what you mean about saves, using them wisely is a big part of beating the mission for me..  

I took out that auto save point because I had a situation where a guy shot me right after it saved, and I think it's preferable to have more control over the saves.   ;)  

I look at it this way:  

If I, as the player made a bad choice of when to save and that happened, no biggy, but if I, as the mission designer puts a savegame spot in a mission where this could happen and you have to start the mission over, (or you just get tired of it) it really sucks.   ;)

Yeah, I like the scaffolding better for sure.   ;D

Hmmm.. Like Avon said about that last town, I think it all depends on the direction you attack from and the weapon you bring with you.  Personally, if I'm not injured to where I can't aim, I'll look for a dragunov to bring with me if at all possible.   ;)  Not to mention the fact that it's almost too easy if some of your guys live.  (mine usually do now, cause I go after the comps by myself)

I'd be very interested to see what others think about that last part before the extraction.  

The AA guy didn't shoot at your cobra because he was busy drinking coffee!   ::)  (I dunno, if I could always explain the AI, I'd be working for BIS!)   ;)    BUt he's not on "never fire" or anything...    ;)

About the "russians' on their side" message..  I was just trying to add a little depth to the mission..  This is supposed to be a purely Resistance base... But by the time you are leaving the City, I assumed that you would have seen at least 1 Russian by then.  (as a matter of fact, I'm positive)  

So, it's just the guy saying to himself, "I wonder why there were Russians helping them" ...  There will be more in the sequel explaining the relationship between the Resistance Militia forces and the Russians, but right now the U.S. forces didn't even know about it until your debriefing at the end of this mission.  (you will find out in the briefing and intro for the sequel, The Lost Lion)

I checked the screeny, (that's cool w/the muppets)  ;)  so I take it that you got shot by one of the guys in the bushes at the end?   ;)  Da*n, I need to see if the chopper extraction works correctly now w/ snYpir's chopper landing script!  

Thanks for checking it out Kali!   :thumbsup:

Important Q's for everyone:

• Was it difficult to locate the computers?
  • Is the last town before the extraction too difficult to clear?
  • Did the chopper extraction work correctly?  (if you've played the newest version that was introduced in Reply #44 on: March 16)   ;)

Thanks again to everyone!   8)  

Asmo

*Edit*

Just saw your post Kali, so you actually finished the mission and the objective didn't check off??  If you didn't ride out in the copter, you didn't escape safely...   ;)
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2003, 10:49:28 by Asmodeus »

Kaliyuga

« Reply #64 on: 25 Mar 2003, 11:38:28 »
 I rode out in the chopper... it felt like it was going to land right on top of me... ;)

and no the guys aren't shooting through walls....

and.....   I don't know why the objective didn't check off.. although I never did get to the "move" waypoint.....  I called in the chopper from by the buildings and waited for it to come.... got in it .. and we flew off  all together ;)

Also the radio message I was talking about doesnt occur when you are leaving the area.. but when you initially spot a russian in the base.....   now usually this happens rather quickly.. but when I was playing it..  I must have never saw a russian or something because it didnt go off till I was out of the city ;)

Oh.. and  I didn't have any trouble at all finding the computers  ::)
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2003, 11:39:27 by Kaliyuga »

The Avon Lady

« Reply #65 on: 25 Mar 2003, 11:43:18 »
Also the radio message I was talking about doesnt occur when you are leaving the area.. but when you initially spot a russian in the base.....   now usually this happens rather quickly.. but when I was playing it..  I must have never saw a russian or something because it didnt go off till I was out of the city
Well, if we're talking about a sequel here (yay!), I think this message should be displayed the first moment a Russian is spotted by any of the Rangers. It would be great to hear a voice clip over the radio shouting "sir/madam ;), there are Russians here! What the hell is going on?!"

asmodeus

« Reply #66 on: 26 Mar 2003, 08:47:32 »
@ Kali

Thanks, you found a bug!   :o  When changing the way the chopper extraction works, I deleted the trigger that checked off that objective!   :-[  

So.....  I have just fixed that and I'll definately put that in the next version.  THnx!   ;D

@ Avon (madam)   ;)

Well, if we're talking about a sequel here (yay!),

Thanks!  I will post the sequel for beta when this mission is completed!   ;D  (It's already done, as well as a 3rd mission in the series!!!)  :o  ;)

I think this message should be displayed the first moment a Russian is spotted by any of the Rangers.

lol!!  I'm way ahead of you!  I put that in a long time ago!  (I found out that's actually what Kali was talking about, but there's another trigger that mentions the Russians when you are heading for the EZ as well)   ;)  I will delete one of those to make it less confusing for everyone.   ;D

About the voice clips, I agree!  (thought about that too)  But :moon:  (there's always a but) my comp won't let me record anything!   :-X  (it's quite vexing)  If I can't get that fixed, I'll just record over at Kali's house or a few other places...  

So... The next version will have these things fixed and custom voice files!  (and any other bugs that may be found until then)   ;)

Thanks Avon and Kali!   8)

Asmo  
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2003, 08:52:34 by Asmodeus »

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #67 on: 26 Mar 2003, 22:21:56 »
i found a bug

it gave me

"_X call getout" somin erorr wen my choper went down  :-\

also after i rided in it it acted like it wanna land  :o like movin - stopin- moving - stopin somin (nd it wasnt lag :P)

now som of ma friends r askin if u can send da beer 2 here ;D  ::)

:cheers:

answeres 2 Qs ;D

1) i know dat city by heart from plain da mision :P
2) no it wasnt
3) worked right ;D (but stil had bugs ::) check above ;))

LCD OUT
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2003, 22:23:41 by LCD »
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

asmodeus

« Reply #68 on: 26 Mar 2003, 22:46:45 »
Thanks LCD!

Hrm...  About the bug.. How many guys were left in your squad?  Did you tell your guys to board the chopper before or after it landed?  

Yeah, that prob where it stops, then goes, then stops, is a trigger used to slow down the chopper for the landing.. I will mess with the conditions where it only happens when you are not in the chopper..  (hmmm... what would that be?  "mygroup not in chopper1"??)

Send the beer there??  Hmmm...  I don't think my slingshot is that big!   ::)  Mebbe a "Smart Beer bomb"

*Siren comes on*

*Incoming beer raid*  

Oh no!  Hurry, open your mouths and drink!   :o   :P   ;)  I need pretzels,  stat!

(No offense to anyone, just being weird)

Thanks for the answers to ma q's!   ;D   Not sure what the error is... Mebbe I'll have to consult (annoy) the great snYpir...   ::)  

Thnx!

Asmo

asmodeus

« Reply #69 on: 02 Apr 2003, 08:57:27 »
Hey everyone!

Well, I really want to get this mission completed and move on to the next..  

I've changed everything you great beta testers have mentioned in this latest version.

Fixes

Fixed Objective checking off problem

Fixed copter "stop n go" prob after taking off

Fixed confusion with "russian" comments by removing one of them

Change that I still plan on implementing:

A small "history" part in the briefing of the situation with the US forces versus the Militia, and how the Russians are not thought to be involved in it.

Also I will write up a Readme.   ;)

You can find it at the same link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jehning1/COD.zip

Thanks a lot for all the help everyone!   ;D

Asmo
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2003, 08:58:22 by Asmodeus »

BHD Mod

« Reply #70 on: 09 Apr 2003, 00:54:11 »
 :Dcool mission man

asmodeus

« Reply #71 on: 10 Apr 2003, 07:49:59 »
Thanks!

So.. Did you beat it?  

If so.. Did everything work?  (especially the heli-extraction at the end?)

Thanks again!   8)

Asmo

asmodeus

« Reply #72 on: 15 Apr 2003, 04:27:44 »
*bump*   ;)

Hey everyone!   I want to say thanks again for all the excellent help from you beta testers!  

There's one last thing preventing me from the official release of this mission.

Does the chopper extraction work correctly for those that had problems before?

Thanks!

Asmo
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2003, 04:28:26 by Asmodeus »

asmodeus

« Reply #73 on: 25 Apr 2003, 12:47:40 »
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say thanks again to all beta testers and here is the (dare I say it)  ::)  Final version!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~jehning1/COD.zip  (2.0 MB)

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available, with required addons, from the Missions Depot.

I changed the music a bit (shortened it and faded in/out)

Also I included a readme in this zip.  (I've attached the readme for any who are interested in just that)

Thanks again for all the help!  As said in the readme, you beta testers are what helps make this mission what it is!   ;D

Also thanks to The Avon Lady for her review of this mission in the M.O.M. section of her website!   :D  I'm honored!   ;D

Asmo
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2009, 02:29:31 by Walter_E_Kurtz »