Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Group splitting  (Read 5466 times)

SimonRussi

Group splitting
« on: 20 Aug 2002, 09:27:25 »
Hi guys...
private again huh? :)

Ok, i have a 2 men group hanging around... they rendesvouz with a 12 men group and i want the two groups splitted and both of my two man start leading a group of total 7 men. I see how i can make it from scripting but my problems start when i want to have some Wp's for the 2 groups... i don't know how to create WP's for a group that actually doesn't exist yet.

Anybody can help? :)

T.S.C.Plage

Re:Group splitting
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2002, 10:58:40 »
Ok, the first thing is done with the "Join GrpNull" command.

For the waypoints you can add some "invisble Hs" and tell your unit to "domove getpos".

Example:

leader1 join GrpNull
(soldier1 join leader1, soldier2 join leader1 ...)
leader1 domove getpos h1
? leader1 distance h1 < 1 : leader1 domove getpos h2
...and so on.

That's my way...

Greetz
Plage

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2002, 13:00:37 »
well..... two solve the 2 waypoints problem -

make the 2 men who group up with you seperate and withy their own waypoint - then give them 6 men each  :P
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

SimonRussi

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2002, 13:27:56 »
well TSC, thanks but i really need WP's since i have to create GETIN, GETOUT amd that sort of things...

To Messiah, you mean i have to create the whole mission with my group splitted up? i will not be able to give'em orders....

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2002, 14:21:27 »
no, i'll tray and explain.

waypoints can only be set at the start of a mission - so to have 1 group become 2 with 2 new leaders from another group you have to have the 2 men who join and lead the new groups - they need their own waypoints and are not grouped togeather

thats way, when the 12 man group comes along, 6 go to man1, 6 go to man2 and they follow the waypoint you set for the 2 seperate men.

hope that helps.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

SimonRussi

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2002, 16:59:38 »
well, OK, so i cannot do it my way.

So, in the mission im making i want these 2 men (one controlled by the player) performing a recon on an enemy base as a group, then they call in reinforcement and this big groups come in and they attack from 2 side (that's why i'd like to create these 2 smaller groups from the big one). Any solution. The only solution i found is to make 2 different missions (well, a campaign :) ): the first ends when the recon's over and the second starts when the reinforcement arrives. But by now i haven't got a clue on how to create a campaign :).

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2002, 17:07:19 »
you can use the move command

unitname move [400,100]

Bremmer

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2002, 17:31:59 »
A neat trick courtesy of Ozzie (or was it Ottie ?)

Create a dummy unit on your side (east/west) and give it waypoint where you want the split group to go. In the units init field put:

splitgrp = group this; deletevehicle this

This unit will be deleted, but the waypoints associated with the group remain active. Now when you want to split a group instead of getting them to join grpnull, have the units splitting off from the main group join splitgrp. eg. [unit1,unit2,unit3] join splitgroup.

Hey-presto, your new group has its own waypoints!

:)

SimonRussi

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2002, 18:07:46 »
ok bremmer, gonna try it this evening and we'll see if tomorrow i can strike the solve button :).

SimonRussi

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2002, 09:34:22 »
hmmmm, well....
I tried this:
i have this 2 men group and a 4 men group (1st group units are called g1m1, g1m2, 2nd group units are called g2m1..g2m4) and i have 2 empty groups called attgrp1 and attgrp2.... i execute a script with these commands

[g1m1, g2m1, g2m2] join attgrp1
[g1m2, g2m3, g2m4] join attgrp2

When the script is executed the programs quit to Windows without any error reported.....

Anybody got a clue.....?

Bremmer

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2002, 10:58:33 »
Can you post the mission so we can take a better look.

Cheers

Scratchdat

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2002, 11:17:03 »
Simon what do u mean u have 2 empty groups? A group no longer exists if it becomes empty.

I think the problem is that you cant tell the units to join a group that doesn't exist yet. If you do, Flashpoint probably gets an illegal operation and will shut down (and for some reason no error message  :-\)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2002, 12:03:00 »
well TSC, thanks but i really need WP's since i have to create GETIN, GETOUT amd that sort of things...

Y not just use da assignas nd unassignvehicle commands ?

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

SimonRussi

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2002, 12:18:01 »
to Scratchdat:
i tried what Bremmer suggested: i created a group with its WP's then i deleted the unit which formed this group. Take a look at his post....

To LCD:
Simon looks at his assignas and unassignas and wonders: "OK, now, what am i supposed to do with these?" :). Really, how can i use them in this situation?

Cannot post the mission cause the mission is at home PC and i am at the work (sssttt.... speak low, or the boss will hear you...), gotta wait this afternoon :).

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2002, 12:23:19 »
all u do is using da assignas commands

unitname assignascargo vehiclename - wil make unit get in da cargo of da vehicle

unitname assignasgunner vehiclename - wil make unit get in as gunner of da vehicle

unitname assignasdriver vehiclename - wil make unit get in as driver of da vehicle

unitname assignascommander vehiclename - wil make unit get in as commander of da vehicle

------------------------------------------------------------

nd wen u want em 2 go out use

unassignvehicle unitname

------------------------------------------------------------

u c ? dont nees WPs

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

SimonRussi

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2002, 15:27:09 »
well LCD, i know the syntax of the assignas family, but i cannot understand how they applies on my problem. I haven't any vehicle in my mission....

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2002, 15:29:31 »
But you said you needed to have GetIn and GetOut waypoints.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

SimonRussi

« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2002, 18:54:24 »
sorry guys, my mistake, i meant i need WP's like GETIN and GETOUT but i also need all the others type of WP, like DESTROY, HOLD....

so assignas will solve a part of the problem.....

Bremmer

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2002, 19:47:56 »

[This Attachment has been Deleted By Routine Maintenance]

SimonRussi

« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2002, 09:07:13 »
Simon stares at Bremmer and with his best Bugs Bunny imitation says:
"You are quite a genius..."

The solution you proposed looks like what i need, dumb me not to have thought it before :).

Thanks guys.
Simon out.

Offline Ottie

• Members
  • And you think this is personal
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2002, 12:12:36 »
Finally I see someone use the clever solutions instead of the domove and move commands

Well done Bremmer, and yes it is Ottie, but it is not entirely my solution, but if you see a trick spread it.
If you can't beat them, buy them

Bremmer

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2002, 12:42:37 »
if you see a trick spread it

The very spirit of OFPEC! Thanks for that one Ottie - it's an excellent little ruse  :)