Missions Depot > Arma3 - Single Player Beta Testing

[SP/CAMP] Black Lands

(1/32) > >>

Undeceived:

BLACK LANDS

Version: 0.7 beta (released January 23, 2024, two small updates on Jan 24)
Author: Undeceived
Game type: SP campaign

Description:
After the Russian army takes control over Chernarus, Tomas Cerny and his best friend Dimitri, among other war-survivors, form up a resistance movement. At first, the group is able to cause harm to the Russian intruders, but little by little, Tomas sees the strength of the movement crumbling and deteriorating. As eventually Dimitri is killed in an Russian ambush and Tomas, all at once, loses everything he loves and cares for, the resistance fighter finds himself all alone, devitalized and a broken man. In his darkest hour, Tomas is suddenly contacted by an agent of the U.S. intelligence, who is able to light up a small flame in the young Chernarussian again. Tomas learns that there are still people who want to rise up against the Russians. He is able to find new courage, meets new friends and goes on the most difficult journey of his life. He passes through adventures and defeats, experiences friendship as well as betrayal and faces survival and death.

Features:

* Story-driven resistance campaign (20 missions + cutscenes + multiple endings)
* Custom music (including some self-composed titles)
* Cutscenes, intros and outros, briefings - everything carries on the story
* A mix of linear, straight-forward missions and wide and complex ones with many tasks
* "Real life"-weapon pool: As a low-equipped resistance cell you will start from zero with empty hands. Collected weapons and equipment will be stored in your hidden field camp, where you can prepare and arm yourself for the next missions.
* Squad management system: Get to know the background story of your men and set together your group for the next mission.
* Tough decisions that will have consequences

Changelog:
V. 0.5 (alpha)

* Campaign ported to Arma 3, releasing missions 1-8 of 20
* Changes and additions in some missionsV. 0.6 (alpha)

* Added missions 9-13 of 20
* Bug fixes and optimizations in missions 1-8
* Additional minor changes in some missionsV. 0.7 (beta) (updated January 23, 2024, two small updates on Jan 24)

* Added missions 14-20, everything is in now
* Major overhaul of many missions due to flood of ideas
by the beta testers

Requirements:
>> AUTOMATIC subscription of all needed SW mods:

Download this html file (packed in a ZIP file) and drag & drop it into the official Arma 3 launcher. The launcher will offer you the automatic subscription of all required mods.

Beta testers:

Gruntage, Clayman, mathias_eichinger, savedbygrace, Casualty, Inlesco, Mad_Cheese, SaOk, bedges, Crisis, [Public1001] Fischer

Download:
Read the ReadMe for installation instructions.

>> Black Lands v. 0.7 (beta) (425 MB) @ OneDrive

Gruntage:
Now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow  :D

Don't think I've had the pleasure of playing any of your projects yet  :)

Undeceived:
Oh, I wasn't expecting such an early reply. :D :D

Thanks, Gruntage. I hope everything works somehow. There shouldn't be any showstoppers at least.

Gruntage:
Alrighty let's get to it. It's been a long time since I last wrote one of these.

So just as a preface, I never played this during Arma2 (never actually played Arma2) so I have no idea what I'll be faced with, it will be an entirely new experience.

Intro

First off, wow. That opening cutscene was certainly a feat of cinema. Very well chosen camera angles but even more so was the music. It set the scenes brilliantly. It's very hard to critique this, but I suppose the only thing (literally) that's missing is voice acting. I know it can be very difficult to implement and most of us don't exactly have a room a voice actors at our disposal.

I did however receive a couple of error messages during the cutscene, but they didn't cause the intro to stop. This message appeared twice: "no entry 'bin\config.bin/CUP_D_RadioProtocol_CZ_ACR/SentCovering.'. I don't know what might cause such a message to appear...I'm sure I installed all the addons listed. Might just be on my end but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Death Came Upon Me

Very dramatic start - though I was kinda expecting Dimitri to get shot   :D An interesting starting mission; good atmosphere with very strong cinema once again. I suppose I'd put more patrols in to increase the pressure and suspense but the mission is fine as it is. The sense of hopelessness does come across very well. If I was being really picky I'd go for harsher weather for emphasis - heavy rain or perhaps just the sound of the wind. For me atmosphere is everything  :D

As for the outro, again very dramatic and quite gut-wrenching as well. Very good start.

Awakening

I always like stealth missions especially those of the urban kind. Using the buildings as cover was pretty cool. I have to admit I was expecting something a bit more challenging. But then it could easily become overpowering and frustrating if you did increase the patrol count. Perhaps it's down to personal taste.

Good cinema although there were a few spelling mistakes and I did chuckle at the 'perforated by bullets' phrase...it sounds like surgery  :D I think you need to phrase that so it sounds more harrowing and not quite so clinical or procedural. How about 'riddled with bullets', or 'cut to pieces by rifle fire'?

The only other thing that might improve this mission is music. Adding music to missions is also down to personal taste; same say that music is best left to the cutscenes. I personally think music can do well in missions so long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay. It should act as a supplement. I'm not suggesting having Hans Zimmer blaring out of my headphones but just something suspenseful to enhance the stealth aspect. However, if you prefer to keep music out of the missions then I totally get it; it's down to opinion.

Anyway, that's all I can do for now. I'll resume my testing tomorrow. So far though it's very good. Great atmosphere and it's certainly making me want to play more of it. I haven't played many campaigns to be honest but this is one of the best. I hope this feedback is useful to you  :good:

Undeceived:
Perfect, thanks a lot, Gruntage! Very useful!

That script error "SentCovering" is something you'll encounter more often - it's a (known) bug in CUP. They will fix it eventually... Other than that there are some scripts errors coming out of another external script (they'll appear when you die).

Your suggestions to improve the atmosphere are great (weather in mission 1, music in 2) - I'll definitely look into that.

The patrols in Awakening are random, so I think you had some luck in avoiding them. And yeah, once they spot you, it gets uncomfortable.

On these spelling mistakes: YES, please give me more suggestions and corrections! No native speaker, so there's much room for improvement in this matter...... :dry:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version