Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Andy McNab books anyone? Campaign based on 'em  (Read 4293 times)

Phantom

Andy McNab books anyone? Campaign based on 'em
« on: 29 Nov 2002, 10:47:33 »
G'day all.
After the end of the SAS MOD I've been more than reluctant to get back into the OFP Community, not just for lack of ideas but I'm not all that keen on putting in the work.
But I've thought of something that I think would make for something different, and fun.
Has anyone ever read any of the books by Andy McNab, the one's about Nick Stone?
If you haven't, Nick's a K (Deniable Operator). So that basically means that the jobs he's given are pretty important, and the government doesn't want to be associated with it publicly. After the first book he's just a bad ass bloke that The Firm (MI 6) calls on for jobs now and then. They take place in suburbia, with people just like in the real world. I'd like to do something similar on Nogova or some other island with decent towns and/or cities.
You'd be on your own most of the time, and for a change, not shooting your way out of everything. Lying in an OP (Observation Post) would require a bit of patience, wouldn't it?
You'd be with a pistol most of the time as well. Maybe an MP5K or something too. I just think it'd be great to do something that's more independant than being in an Army for a change!

I'm looking for comments, criticism, ideas, and anything you want to add.

Cheers, Phantom

Black Magic

Re:Andy McNab books anyone? Campaign based on 'em
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2002, 11:11:44 »
Seems you've been beaten to the barrel man. If I recall correctly there is already a mod somewheres around who actually got McNab's authorisation to make a campaign/mission based upon his book recounts. But I haven't heard much on that in months and well no harm in having more than the single one campaign based on the same story - though it does open a door for rivalry.

Phantom

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2002, 12:56:38 »
that person is me. :)
and that campaign turned into the SAS MOD

max_killer_payne

« Reply #3 on: 02 Dec 2002, 21:26:28 »
I know deres a Bravo Two Zero mod being made, great book, But maybe you could make one from Chris Ryans point of view, after being seperated from your squad, after many contacts, you lose your commander Vince, then you lose the otha guy Stan, and you must evade capture and make it to Syria, of course you could add in some interesting twists.

c ya

max_killer_payne

Robbo

« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2002, 01:32:24 »
I know deres a Bravo Two Zero mod being made
max_killer_payne, unless your talking about a differnet one the B2Z MOD became the SAS MOD which i was a member of, and since, Has collapsed as a lack a texturer and the leader, Phantom leaving, unless something has changed...... so the B2Z mod and SAS mod have both closed as you will see by going to our old forum http://b2zforum.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi
Robbo

O Neil

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2002, 06:57:17 »
Stan lives in the end, doesn't he?

What about "Immediate Action"? I mean, I've read Bravo 2 zero, from both guys, but I heard "Immediate Action" Is real awsome. I'm start readin it tonight.

O Neil ;)

Phantom

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2002, 13:11:59 »
.....that's great
look mate, that made no sense, stan dies, and what's this about reading bravo to zero from both guys, it was just mcnab who wrote b2z, and immediate action is an autobiography of andy mcnab, get your info right, you'll save me and a few other friends of mine the frustration of the pointless posts of yours that keep popping up, and me the effort of explaining it to you

Phantom

O Neil

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2002, 07:45:22 »
Sorry !

max_killer_payne

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2002, 12:26:39 »
I started reading Remote Control awhile back phantom, you probably know what its about so I wont go into detail about it, but basically Nick Stone discovers murders of and SAS guy and his family, only a 7 yr old girl survived and the terrorists pursue them. That would make or an intresting campaign, also, I know this is off-topic but The One that Got Away would make a great campaign, by Chris Ryan, I know its basically the same as B2Z, but then you have to evade capture and make it to Syria.

Phantom

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2002, 15:50:26 »
i've read the first two in the series. working on firewall at the moment. yeh it would make a pretty damn decent campaign, it'd keep u on your toes all the time, nice new look at ofp. remote control is the book that got me to make this post, so that would ave been a huge influence on the campaign.
and i've read the one that got away too, but since he's on his own with  no weapons, and most of it was walking through the flat terrain of Iraq, it'd be damn boring, the only stuff that would be mission worthy are when he  kills  the two patrolling guards and boxing the enemy installations, but it'd be all the same and damn boring. i'm still interested in an mcnab campaign if anyone's interested, i'm either gonna be doing that or a new nam campaign, hosted on the lovely new ofpshack, www.gd-network.com/ofp/

Phantom

O Neil

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2002, 00:03:43 »
Hey

You know what another good campaign of the Gulf War would be on? CQB. (Close Quater Battle)
It's an awsome book on a group of SAS that went into Iraq. Lotsa action in that book.

Just a thought

O Neil ;)

Phantom

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2002, 03:50:17 »
maybe you'd like to explain it a bit

The Muppet

« Reply #12 on: 03 Jan 2003, 13:57:30 »
Though Andu McNab had no involvement with it (I think Chris Ryan did) maybe you could use some of the stories from ultimate force, which i though wasnt too bad at all.

Phantom

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2003, 15:32:25 »
if your gonna make a suggestion, explain it, i haven't read all the mil. books out there, almost though ;)

Offline Spooky

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2003, 12:48:50 »
You obviously didn't read B20 Phantom. Stan was captured tortured and was locked up with dinger and mcnabb in Bagdad.  Sabre Squadron is also a recomended book
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2003, 12:50:12 by Spooky »
"On My signal Unleash Hell!"

Phantom

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2003, 10:38:32 »
excuse me, I haven't read Bravo Two Zero, don't be a smart ass, especially since you can't even spell his alias right, McNab. and my bad, it's vince, bob, and legs, that are killed, my mistake, if you wan't to get into a fight with me about this stuff, read about it for a year, then have another go.

O Neil

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2003, 00:57:40 »
.....How about, if you wanna go have a fight, you take it somewhere else eh?

O Neil

Phantom

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2003, 07:34:12 »
i didn't start a fight o'neil, but this guy was obviously being antagonistic about it, and there was supposed to be a ? after Bravo Two Zero, coz i HAVE read it, about 5 times now, and just so you guy's out there know, it's basically fiction, regardless of Michael Asner's cheap attempt at making a buck, The Real Bravo Two Zero

Offline Spooky

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2003, 08:50:02 »
No need to get uptight Phantom maybe it's just they way it comes out on the message board so calm down. BTW I've benn reading about this sort of stuff for many years. My bad for the spelling no bad feelings mate

O'Neil Immediate Action is an awsome book really opens your eyes.

Mal Asher is trying to get a book published for the last 2 years in NZ about B20 called "Soldier Five" I think he is Mark in the book and Movie B20. But the British MOD has taken court action.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2003, 09:02:30 by Spooky »
"On My signal Unleash Hell!"

Phantom

« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2003, 10:42:43 »
that's because he signed a contract saying he wouldn't

O Neil

« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2003, 20:41:18 »
"O'Neil Immediate Action is an awsome book really opens your eyes."

I've read 3/4 of it.......I didn't like it that much NOT SAYING that it's a bad book, it's funny as sh|t, but I'm more into action. eg "CQB" and "The shooting Gallery"

O Neil ;)

Phantom

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2003, 00:49:24 »
it's nice to know what books you guy's are into, but can we please get it back on topic, plz? moderators?

O Neil

« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2003, 05:37:40 »
ffs man, lighten up !!!

Phantom

« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2003, 05:53:53 »
shut up.
i'm asking if we can get back on topic, i don't need to lighten up, i'm just trying not to get it locked

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2003, 06:12:12 »
O Neil & Phantom,

LAST CHANCE  >:(

Knock off the animosity that you two seem to enjoy sharing, or you will both be on the receiving end.

I don't care who started it and I don't care who "keeps it going".
If you have a problem with a member, take it privately to a moderator to deal with. Thats their job, not yours.

So your public spats stop here and now.
Understood? ... excellent.

Now keep this thread on topic as requested by Phantom.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"