Missions Depot > Arma3 - Single Player Beta Testing

[SP] Up to No Good

<< < (2/7) > >>

h-:
First post updated with new version.

Took way too long because I tried to implement a couple of cool(ish) features but got prison-raped by the RV-engine/scripting engine so had to scrap those after all..
Also the squad radio has been broken on dev-branch for like 2 weeks now making commanding AI pretty tedious a task so play-testing has been pretty low..

savedbygrace:
This play through, I chose the windmills as my attack point. I DID notice the enemy patrolling before the arty this time, which made it slightly more difficult. You state that you adjusted some timing issues with the audio, I wasn't focusing on that portion but I did notice that stranger mentioned the rain just as I called in the arty. That was more than likely coincidence.
Once the steel rain was delivered, I was able to withdraw away from the OBS point, south for 1 click before the helo and UAV arrived on station. I then stayed prone. Unfortunately, Stranger likes to kneel when he gets within a meter of a tree and peek around it at some unseen ghost. The rain was so bad that it made it feel like i was watching a screen of static. You also say the enemy has just as much trouble seeing through it, I declare you wrong. They SUCK!!!!!!! Through that much optical interference, the uav and/or helo can see prone crawling bodies, and it is ridiculous. Even the soldiers can see us over 200 meters out while we are prone. The fact that they can see me and I can't see them until their muzzles flash tells me that its bullshit. The rain must go. It is not fun, it is only immersive in the beginning when trying to approach the OBS points undetected.
The exfil should also be changed from having to reach a point closer to the AO when I have already crawled further away to having to distance my team so far away from the AO in any direction before the mission ends.

Aside from these points, I see nothing wrong with it. I was over 3 clicks south of the AO when the uAV somehow spotted my team, and sent patrols my way. I ended the mission there without officially ending it.

h-:

--- Quote ---That was more than likely coincidence.
--- End quote ---
The 'rain whine' is controlled by the rain (via a trigger) so when the rain reaches a certain amount Stranger complains about it. It's impossible to detect if someone is talking so it can overlap with other discussions. However if a scripted discussion by me is going on Stranger should wait for a spoken sentence (by Ghost) to end before saying his.

--- Quote ---They SUCK!!!!!!! Through that much optical interference, the uav and/or helo can see prone crawling bodies, and it is ridiculous.
--- End quote ---
What Ghost says is actually more of a sarcastic remark than based on a fact because this is yet another BIS'd feature within the AI as the rain does not affect their night vision at all.
I guess I should just make a bug tracker ticket about this.

I've been thinking of adding a shoddy self-made fix for this as in A3 you can adjust the AI's skill by individual skill (aiming accuracy, spotting capabilities, etc..).. Not a fan of removing the rain because I like annoying people  :D
It was originally meant to be randomized so you usually wouldn't get the full rain..

The helo can see because it's seeing is mostly scripted (although it's sight is distracted by the rain among other things), and when it sees you it relays the info to everybody. Also both the helo and the UAV have thermals so the rain actually shouldn't affect those anyway..
The chopper is fickle because if I lower it's spotting capabilities (scripted) just a bit it becomes a harmless flying brick, up them just a tad and it becomes all seeing terminator..  :dry:
I'd rather keep it at latter because it makes the mission much more challenging.

The UAV uses the basic engine spotting stuff so it has nothing scripted.

EDIT/
Yup, the rain doesn't affect the vanilla AI's night vision.
DURR, it doesn't after all..
So yeah, nice design there BIS...

What we're experiencing in this mission might be that when the arty hits the enemy gets a very small knowsAbout boost (0.106) meaning it now knows someone is somewhere which doesn't trigger any of my scripted behaviour stuff but might trigger some in-engine stuff like make the chopper and UAV concentrate on the rough area they think the enemy might be. :dunno:
All groups share knowledge so if one group spots you the information is relayed (with a delay) to everyone else (which is already kinda done by the game engine itself but made it a bit hightened). So if some group sees you in the distance (get say knowsAbout 1) then all of the groups will soon have that knowsabout which already makes them wanna investigate if close enough.

The UAV is kinda controlled by a AI UAV controller so when the UAV sees something, he sees something and in turn everybody sees something after a while..

I'll think about doing something to the rain (randomize it or something) and maybe tinker with that AI infantry spotting stuff to make it more affected by the rain.

[spoiler=more tl;dr]
Might take time because really bored testing this mission already..

I have had fun with it though, recently spent like an hour pinned down inside a building, every single time I tried to pop outta there a new wave of enemy would start firing at me so had to take pop-shots out of windows until I ran out of ammo and had to walk outside to get killed..  ::)
It's stupid when this is just a game but I actually got increasingly panicked the shorter the ammo supply got and enemies just kept coming :P
[/spoiler]
/EDIT

--- Quote ---The exfil should also be changed from having to reach a point closer to the AO when I have already crawled further away to having to distance my team so far away from the AO in any direction before the mission ends.
--- End quote ---
Somehow I'm not able to make any sense out of this sentence...  :dunno:

You mean the exfil should be somewhere closer to which ever OP was chosen?

--- Quote ---I was over 3 clicks south of the AO
--- End quote ---
Huh?
When using OP2 you are about 1.1 km away from the exfil, I myself use very wide runs when playing this mission and I have never gone further than 1.9km from the exfil.
Well, there is secondary exfil if the primary gets over-run by enemies which is about 1km south from the primary..

There should also be a AO limit so can't even go insanely far away but I may have never tested whether it works :P

--- Quote ---Unfortunately, Stranger likes to kneel when he gets within a meter of a tree and peek around it at some unseen ghost.
--- End quote ---
Even if on Stealth?
Never actually paid much attention to what he does, apart from being annoyed as the idiot starts shooting at the helo if it passes right over us because the 'hold fire' uses the 'hold fire - defend' method :dry: so you can't order the AI to absolutely hold fire unless scripted.

--- Quote ---I chose the windmills as my attack point.
--- End quote ---
There is actually a very short 'cheat' in the very beginning of the mission that tells you in which building the target is :P
| = choose OP1, || or ||| = choose OP2..

Put it there if someone wants to play test both OPs you can hit 'restart' until you get the one you want.

savedbygrace:
I forgot about those darn thermals. Makes perfect sense why they would spot me through the rain then BUT, when they are flying patterns over the immediate AO and I am 2.5 clicks south of the target or maybe a click south of the assumed AO, they should have no reason to adjust their flight patterns to extend to my area if not spotted. Its okay as it is, to be honest, but the heavy rain makes it difficult to spot enemies before they spot me first. I end up having to rely on Stranger too heavily, who always seems to lag behind.

Strangers AI is okay for the most part, it's just that he often does stand up to catch up or kneel at trees which causes me to assume the AI script is reading that position and using it against my own efforts at stealth. Perhaps the only way to fix it is to exclude Stranger from the script? Don't know.

What I meant by that gibberish(I was half sleepy), Was that instead of having an exfil point, Task the player with fleeing the AO instead. This way he can choose which ever path he wants and as long as he puts a certain distance between him and the target, the mission will end. Like a radial end trigger. Player not present. Or distance check...player distance target > 3000.

I engaged a patrol or two on the exfil and must say I liked those engagements since they broke up the crawling monotony, but the rain ruins the gun play. It's okay that you like to annoy but when the screen is all fuzz, its not fun to play on your playground. You could compromise?...Allow the rain to pour,slow,stop,slow,pour,etc. Off and on to allow the player to plan routes to engage, fallback, engage, fallback, etc. Letting him reach shelter as the rain increases, and run for it when ut slows. Just idears.

h-:
F'IN TL;DR  :banghead: :cop:

--- Quote ---I end up having to rely on Stranger too heavily, who always seems to lag behind.
--- End quote ---
I always rely on AI spotting stuff because they are, and have been since OFP, far superior at that.
Usually when I play BIS campaigns and such I tend to have a AI 'FO' team ahead of me as spotter/cannon fodder, if possible.. :P

Also, Stranger's skill is at full 1 to make him a bad ass SEAL he is (since the whole premiss of the mission is what it is I'm assuming all of them; Bravo Six and the sniper team are SEALs which kinda allows the speciality of the actions they take. It was all more clear when this was a campaign on "paper" [means my brain])..

At what combat mode you command him in?
Because the default Stealth + diamond formation should keep him at yer heels mostly. Of course when he spots enemy he gets all BIS'd and may lag behind because of that until the threat dissipates..
Also even though I use a script to alleviate his fatigue burden (as AI doesn't know how to manage it by other means than selecting less taxing terrain to move over, which may also cause him lagging behind I guess) he may get fatigued enough to slow down a bit for a while.

--- Quote ---BUT, when they are flying patterns over the immediate AO and I am 2.5 clicks south of the target or maybe a click south of the assumed AO, they should have no reason to adjust their flight patterns to extend to my area if not spotted.
--- End quote ---
Well, that should not happen unless infantry spots you because the chopper script (well, fsm) is limited to 500m, after that it's RV engine doing it's thing, and the UAV has no scripted behaviour. Infantry has a custom "event handler" if they spot you, and another when they fire their weapon at you at which point you have about 6 seconds to kill the guy and his group or everybody will know exactly where you are (simulating them screaming on public radio they see an enemy fucking snipers!!!111!11!1!!!)..

Mind you though that both the flying vehicles have several 'Search & Destroy' waypoints with large placement and completion radii which they loop after they appear at the AO so their flight patterns are not scripted at all, just the engine doing their waypoints so if they seem to hunt you it's the game itself, not me..
However, when the chopper spots you once you're pretty much screwed (which is basically unavoidable I guess).

--- Quote ---Perhaps the only way to fix it is to exclude Stranger from the script?
--- End quote ---
There's no other scripts running on Stranger than the "fatigue fixer" fsm. So what you see him doing is BIS AI..

--- Quote ---Task the player with fleeing the AO instead.
--- End quote ---
Ach, right, so I kinda got it almost right :P

Well, the thing is though that since you're deep behind enemy lines you (well, at least me) would act like a wild animal and return the way you knew was safe just before, instead of just running into something unknown...
Obviously the mission is designed so that you really shouldn't take the straight line back to Exfil though. Not sure if succesfully since I didn't wanna make it obvious by spawning 100 enemy troops at the direct line.

Well, I could add a "hold on guys, we have a new safe house/pos at blah blah, head there" thingy..  :hmmm:
Maybe make that random too..

--- Quote ---I engaged a patrol or two on the exfil and must say I liked those engagements since they broke up the crawling monotony, but the rain ruins the gun play.
--- End quote ---
I have to say when I play this I don't crawl at all, I mostly move at crouch (I click my own waypoints on the map, you know, left shift + mouse button, basically move from forest to forest). Faster/longer jogs on stand + weapon lowered to alleviate fatigue. I guess running with binocs or pistol causes less fatigue too..

Of course I have an advantage of having a massive amount of debug stuff shown to me, as in I can see exactly where each enemy group is moving if I want to (which I considered adding as a sort of cheat if you pick up a enemy GPS, but didn't).  :D

I myself use a 'Normal' difficulty setting modded to 'Veteran' except for the multiple saves so I save a lot to avoid the annoying "oh-I-died-love-to-revert-to-an-hour-ago".. It's still a game ffs..

--- Quote ---.Allow the rain to pour,slow,stop,slow,pour,etc. Off and on to allow the player to plan routes to engage, fallback, engage, fallback, etc.
--- End quote ---
I have to check how lacking BIS weather scripting is but this does give me (way way WAY too many) ideas..
Like controlling the rain on enemy density near player etc. insane stuff  :D

EDIT:
Oh btw, please inform if you have the Marksmen DLC or not because I just realized if you do the whole thing is a tad more challenging maybe as you get a 10-shot sniper rifle instead of 30-shot marksman rifle..

I have to say again that this whole beta testing thing is awesome, really love the '3rd party' take on this thing because obviously you get a bit tunnel visioned when developing something alone..  :good:
I hope you're not holding back on your criticism because I hope for full honesty  :cool2:

EDIT2:
Well lol, I was tired friday but never realized how badly because I barely remember making this post..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version