Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP] FIA Officer  (Read 975 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
[SP] FIA Officer
« on: 19 Jan 2022, 14:40:31 »
Author: nightjay

Version:
Latest arma3

Required Addons:
None

Mission Description:
An FIA officer is leaving the FIA camp, eliminate him before he leaves.

Known Bugs: None

Steam Workshop Download:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2369166192

NOTE: this mission takes 5mins very short, but still fun. Anything you want me to add to make it better or more fun let me know
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
Re: [SP] FIA Officer
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2022, 18:32:06 »
Finally got some time to do some mission testing  :)

I'll give this one the same treatment as your other mission. From the outset, it reminds me a little bit of the OFP mission 'Sniper Team'...always liked that mission despite its simplicity. Anyway, let's begin:

Overview

Decent overview; not great but not bad either. It's not the most dramatic image and really you need a dramatic image to get people's attention. When you see this mission on the list of available missions to download on the steam workshop, all you have to look at is the overview image. That's what sells the mission at the start.

Maybe instead of having an image of the dude you're killing, maybe get an image of the player in the hideout. People will know then that this is an asassination mission...which I'd think would get you more views and downloads. Just my two cents worth on this.

Intro

None. Same thoughts as your other mission; an intro doesn't need to be long or sophisticated, just enough to create a set up.

Briefing

Well this is a short one  :D. It's hard to say how I feel about it honestly, and indeed the mission. I'll get to the mission part in a minute but for now, I'll say that I think the briefing could do with more substance. But at the same time, the mission needs more substance to match the scale of the briefing...and vice versa. Given the size of the mission, a lengthy briefing would seem out of place. But I still think we need more somehow.

Mission

Alright so let's get into it. I was very surprised that I was discovered so quickly after the mission start...like on the first playthrough I was spotted instantly. Then a few seconds later the mortars came down. I mean let a guy breathe man!

I went into the mission thinking that I'd be able to be the silent, methodical killer...but it didn't take long for that strategy to go flying out the window. The enemy went from 0-100 extremely quickly  :D. It actually made me laugh.

To be honest, I don't think the enemy's response was disproportionate. They have a high value target there after all so they need good security. I just think it should take maybe a little bit longer for the enemy to detect you. Maybe just don't put the player in the window at the start  :dunno:. Might be something as simple as that. You'd give the player a little bit of time to better equip himself too. Though given you only have 1 minute, you gotta be quick.

In fact, if I was being really critical, I'd question why put the ammo crate there at all if the player doesn't have time to change his gear....unless you're just really quick at doing it. I'm not very quick when it comes to changing gear; I like to think about it.

Anyway, it took a couple of playthroughs to not get shot up and to complete the mission. To be honest, I didn't know what the officer looked like...I was just shooting enemy soldiers in a bid to not get killed. I wasn't even thinking about the objective in the moment. So the mission ending came as a surprise.

So here's the all important question; is the mission fun?

Fun is of course subjective and so I can only speak from my experience. So, to be blunt, I think the mission was over too quickly for me to even process whether I was enjoying myself or not. I don't really know how to feel about the mission because there isn't much to think about. If I'm being super critical, I'd say the mission isn't all that interesting. I think it needs more substance.

Let's use the Sniper Team mission from OFP as an example as I mentioned it earlier. Despite how simple that mission was, it did have some substance. For instance, you didn't start right outside the base...you had to get to the base and set up a position. You had to think about it because you didn't want to be too close, but you had to have a clear shot of the three guys you were killing. You also had to wait for them to arrive so at least this gave you some breathing space.

I think the time and weather could also do with some looking at. You can do a lot for a mission's atmosphere by playing with the weather and time. Maybe you could make it foggy and thus force the player to get up close and personal to the enemy...you could also make the weather random so the player doesn't know what to expect.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head  :)

Outro

None

Hope this feedback is useful  :good:

Thanks,
Gruntage

"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Re: [SP] FIA Officer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2022, 02:03:43 »
thanks gruntage, i think you're the only one on this site that is doing mission reviews.  :clap: :good: :dunno: lol

Update: I'm actually gonna overhaul this mission make it better. It's going to be a high level meeting between two FIA officers the will get in the chopper and leave the camp just to make it a little more challenging. Alarm systems will be in place and enemy will act accordingly as i can. Gonna add some voice sound possibly a short intro if i can.

Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!