Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: is there any good scripting tutorials for arma?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Jack48271

• Members
is there any good scripting tutorials for arma?
« on: 08 Jun 2012, 16:30:30 »
 ???

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
Re: is there any good scripting tutorials for arma?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2012, 17:03:20 »
This question shows up every once in a while... I guess the answer is still "no".

All I can offer is a post on the biforums where I've collected some useful links.
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: are there any good scripting tutorials for ArmA?
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2012, 10:33:30 »
Scripting is only one part of making missions. I suggest that you start with the basics:

Additionally, your thread title says ArmA, but this thread is in the Arma2 section. There's a lot of overlap between the two games, but there are also some difference which may matter, so which is it: ArmA or Arma2?
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2012, 10:45:39 by bedges »

Offline Jack48271

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2012, 02:56:26 »
Guys I can make good missions with the editor ok I have all the basics down, I'm talking about learning Sqf for ArmA 2. Not Armed Assault. I use the editor to make fun missions but I'd like to improve, I know Lua programming and I am very good at it. But when I got into ArmA I learned the basic editor stuff and can make good missions. Then I decided I'd like to improve. So I began looking around for a decent tutorial for Sqf not Sqs. But most of them are Armed Assault or Red Orchestra and most of them go from the basic easy stuff to the most advanced within the second paragraph. I'm looking for a scripting tutorial for ArmA 2! That takes it's time to explain and is easy to understand not from ""2+2 = 4" to "And this is how you build the Large Hadron Collider from scratch!"
Look it would be very helpful to point me in the direction of a good ArmA 2 Sqf scripting tutorial that will take it's time to explain and go little by little not little to advanced within three sentences.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2012, 07:56:53 »
Scripting tutorial for Arma1 is basically as valid in Arma2, nothing much has changed in code flow or how the code is executed.
There's also more scripting commands to use in A2.

There is no tutorial in this universe on anything that would magically teach you everything in a second, you need patience and time, just like Worldeater says in the BIF link he posted (obviously I'd prefer you'd used our Command Reference instead of the mentioned BIKI ;) ):
"You're not expected to understand these articles the first time you read them. So read them again. And again. Learn to teach yourself. Ignore all the stuff about SQS and focus on SQF. Do not stop if you don't understand something but read on. If you're stuck come back and ask."
And do just that, read the linked articles.
IMO the linked Cheetah's basic sqf is the most basic you can get.

I do understand your frustration, I still remember it vividly how incredibly frustrating it was trying to understand how things worked. And it took me at least a year to even write my first semi-functioning script.
There were even less tuorials available back then, all I did was read some basic scripting tutorial here and then download a few scripts and try to decypher them. It slowly started to make sense.
That was well over 10 years ago and I still don't understand all of the stuff possible, I mean everytime someone comes up with a script that does some neat stuff I find things in them I have no idea how they work.

One of the best ways to learn is to download scripts made by others and study them and try to understand how is it that the script does what it does. And do that with scripts that do very very simple things and move on forward from there.
There are various types of scripts available at our site, in the Editors Depot (can be sorted by game for example).
Arma1 sqf scripts are as valid as Arma2 scripts for learning purposes.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.