Missions Depot > Arma2 - Reviewed Missions

(MEC) [SP / ARMA 2 CO] Cut the Power v1.5

<< < (2/7) > >>

mathias_eichinger:
Hey janat, welcome to OFPEC.

On your mission:

Overview

Overview and loading screen are both beautiful.

Briefing

Does contain a nice weapons selection, and some useful info. It is unclear, however, if Dr. Hladik is actually to be found at the C-130 or if not, where he could be.

Mission

Impossible. First of all, the landing waypoint leads me to gunpoint of russian guards, I have got a helo on the tail that makes survival a gamble of luck...and i finally beached close to this cape NW of the designated mission area.

Long march to Elektrozavodsk, where a whole load of enemies makes survival impossible. I get about as close as 100 meters to the C-130, still not eyes on it, and there are too many enemies at every corner. After about 15 retries I lost both count of them and will to try any further.

Suggestions

*Remove the helo
*Provide a benign landing zone
*Cut enemy numbers by 50%

janat:
Thank you mathias for the feedback.

When I was playing the mission, I also felt that it was way too hard. It took a lot of saving and loading for me to complete it, and I took the easiest route there is. I have been very busy during this week, but did make some improvements to the mission. I cut the enemy numbers, and now the mission is not as difficult as it was while still providing a challenge. I also moved the landing zone, removed the helo and tweaked the missions a lot. I wrote some background story and added recon intel on enemy forces. I've attached the latest version to the first post.

mathias_eichinger:
Feedback for version 1.1:

Briefing
The briefing has been updated, but I did not spot AT missiles in the weapons selection, which dragged the mission down for me quite a bit (more on that later).

Mission

This time the landing went smooth, and there were much less enemies in the town - just enough to keep you busy and cautious, which - together with the good choice of music - created a good tension which I enjoyed very much. Enemy patrols were not so much responding, however. They could be improved if you could somehow manage to have them react to non-silenced rifle fire, this would be a great realistic touch.

I managed to reach the C-130, discover Dr. Hladik, and reach the power station as well. Boy, was I relieved that you provided an action because I had forgotten to pack some satchels and a lone roving T72 killed my Saboteur. I could not finish this mission this time again because you had a Vodnik moving in to chase me and the way to the extraction point was steep, hilly terrain. I had no means of tank/car disposal, so I unnecessarily lost most of my squadmates and my life.

Conclusion

Nice, slightly challenging mission with a great mood, dragged down only by the lack of AT weaponry vs. OPFOR vehicles.

Recommendations

* Include AT weapons in the weapons selection
* Try to implement an enemy reaction depending on fired weapon type, the fired eventhandler could be a point to try, but I never tried it myself.

Undeceived:
Hello Janat.
Thank you for this good mission! I really enjoyed it. :good:

I enjoyed the cinematics and camera angles, good job there.
Nevertheless the intro scene was very dark and only here and there I could see something as the flashes of the storm came. If you want, you can use the command camUseNVG true;, which makes the scene to play in NVG mode.

Music was good, yes. Good that you picked the atmospheric tracks and not the revolver-jam-funky-rock'n'roll songs. :D

Other than that I saw many script errors. Note that I run the game with the start parameter -showScriptErrors, which is quite useful for mission editors.

Here are the screenshots of the errors and other things I noticed:

At the beginning of the intro scene:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3420/arma2oa2011090215431219.jpg

Then a bit later (not sure if this is still the same error or another one...):
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1631/arma2oa2011090215434872.jpg

I saw this boat (?) at the beginning of the mission. Strange thing...
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7522/arma2oa2011090215554795k.jpg

This one I saw many times:
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3977/arma2oa2011090216002173.jpg

I sabotaged the power plant, but the action still was there. You should remove it for the player when he's done it (player removeaction actionname):
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6402/arma2oa2011090216310796.jpg

And then I often saw this last script error many times (always when a new group was spawned):
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8079/arma2oa2011090216353408.jpg

About this last one: Generally I would prefer units that are there since the beginning of the mission, but hey - I also used group spawns once. :D
Nevertheless you could make it a little bit more believeable, because it was quite noticeable when new groups spawned (especially in the evacuation to the castle!). I checked one direction in the forest and 10 seconds later suddenly there were Russians running around. The trick works once or twice but then the player gets it and the atmosphere suffers.
I would suggest you to spawn the groups further away at a bigger distance to the player and then send them to the player, instead of spawning them 100 meters away.
Maybe also a mix between groups that are spawned far away and patrols that are there since the beginning of the mission (with waypoints) could be a good solution.

All in all I found the mission to be easy, maybe one or two more vehicles that try to hunt down the player would be good. Yes, you could add AT weapons to the gear selection, as mathias suggests but on the other hand the player can also take RPGs from dead Russians (I did it this way and destroyed some vehicles).
But then, on the other other hand :) I think that the USMC has some AT weapons left for their special forces. :) It's up to you.

Good work, Janat! :good: Good luck removing the (few) bugs.

janat:
Thanks again for the feedback.

I didn't give AT weapons to player squad because I thought it would make the mission too easy. You can avoid the Vodniks somewhat easily as there are only two of them and their patrol route is quite long. They won't see you as long as you are a few hundred metres away from them and prone. If you feel like destroying them, just pick up RPGs from dead enemies. Although if the Vodniks notice you and you haven't picked up RPGs, it's pretty much a death sentence...

The script errors aren't critical and the mission works as it should, but it's always good to have the scripts running properly and without errors. I fixed all the script errors, but there's now a new error when spawning enemy patrols. I don't know if my scripts cause the new error, but the error message says it's in BIS group spawn function. I haven't seen any weird behavior because of this error.

There are two boats patrolling the sea near the port. Also, the sabotage action is now removed as soon as the player succesfully uses it.

Normally I wouldn't use spawning groups, but as this mission is very player-centric, I decided to use spawning patrols in the forests for performance reasons. I did make them spawn further away from player.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version