Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFPEC search system  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
OFPEC search system
« on: 07 Sep 2011, 16:34:52 »
Hello guys.

I sometimes have struggle with the OFPEC search, because often it doesn't deliver good results.

For example:

When I search only in the subject titles for the words check not in vehicle it will return "No results found", even though I know there is a subject with these words -> http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=30985.0
This happened a lot to me so far.

Another example:

If I search for in I would expect the results to show me posts with the words in. Ok, it does. :) But the results also show me topics and posts with every word that contains in (e.g. using, reading, Init etc.). This means that I have to search manually for the searched word in all of these results.

Is it somehow possible to optimize this?

And I have another suggestion:

It would be great if it was possible to have a search option in the COMREF!

In this case however it should be like the second example I showed above.
When I don't remember the command I'm looking for and I only know that it contains the word object, then I could search in the COMREF for this word and it would show me everything that contains the word, e.g. attachedObject, attachObject, object etc...

Thanks for your work on this great page!
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline steadfast

• Members
Re: OFPEC search system
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2011, 05:54:47 »
You are right. It is basically useless. I searched for "check if not in vehicle" and I got your post but not the other one you mention. Plus I used the option "match all words" which to me seems that it should only show things that have all of the words in the search, but it is showing things that just have the word "in" as well as everything else. And there seems to be no way to eliminate including parts of words.
I hope someone can figure out how to fix this.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2011, 09:11:26 »
Apologies for the late reply folks, RL has been crazy lately.

I've had a quick look and it seems the search system for SMF is indeed... odd. It doesn't look like there's a fix for the version we're using, so solving this issue is likely to involve either an upgrade of the forum software to the next version, or switching to a completely different forum software altogether.

I'll take a deeper look when time permits; we'll see if we can get this sorted for you - and the rest of OFPEC's members ;)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2011, 13:22:07 »
Would be great, thanks for the reply, bedges. :)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jan 2012, 13:15:44 »
Hey, I saw that the COMREF now has a search system! :clap: It works great!

When I search for "waypoint", it finds all commands with "waypoint" in it, such as addwaypoint, waypointposition, etc. VERY useful! :)
Cool thing is that it even searches the content of all commands, so even "move" is shown as result because it has the word waypoint in the command description.

Thanks a lot for this!

This should be frontpaged in a news entry, IMO!

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2012, 14:03:46 »
That's actually not a bad idea. Thanks for the reminder.