Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: 3D modelling in general  (Read 3225 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
3D modelling in general
« on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:27:05 »
Okay, so I've sort of stepped into the O2 tool and began mucking around. It seems challenging and when I look at some of these models with so many complicated lines and planes and vertexes, etc. I begin to think.."I'm not really up to plunging into a profession, I just want to have fun with it and create some interesting objects for Arma2.

I have read in many places where 3DS Max is easier to use but after looking at the cost...$4000.00, that is too far into the direction of career change for me. I have seen some programs like DAZ3D for free and even seen some 3DS max program for around $40.00(2008version) but am not sure if these are compatible with Arma2.

I have also depboed Arma2 files and attempted to load P3D's into O2 but I keep getting errors about them being binarized. I understand this but I have not been able to find a tool to unbinarize them.

Can anyone help with these matters?
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 16:18:35 by savedbygrace »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: 3D modelling in general
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:40:45 »
Unfortunately there aren't many unbinarized (MLOD) models available for A2, there are BIS A2 character sample models.
However, all A1 models are available as MLODs.

I have read in many places where 3DS Max is easier to use
That's probably from people who have used it in the past, the last time I saw 3DMax it felt like walking into the cockpit of a passenger jet...
For some simple objects there's absolutely no need to use anything but O2, especially since in order to get the object into the game and LOD it properly you still need to use O2 no matter what software you make the original model in..

Take a look at the old but still effective BRSSEB OFP modelling tutorials, O2 hasn't changed that much over the years and that should get you going. :)
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2010, 13:01:36 »
Yeh, if its you first time into 3D modeling (for ArmA), O2 is plenty good enough. And potentially far less complicated!
Then if you really do get to be an expert, move on up to a better program .... but I'd suggest as h did, no need anytime soon.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:18:49 »
Thanks alot for those links. I have already started reading the Bssreb tute but was skeptical since it was for OFP. I prefer to open things up and make sense of them by examination and was hoping to be able to open up some P3D's for arma2 and play around with them a bunch. Oh well, I suppose I'll have to wait for Marek to release the Arma2 samples.

So if a model has been binarized, it is no longer editable? No way to debinarize it?

Thanks for the video tutorials Gnat, I'm looking forward to the next ones that actually focus on the creation process.

Offline Absolution

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2010, 04:24:17 »
For my models I use http://www.blender.org/. I find it significantly easier to use than O2 and its FREE. There is still a fairly steep learning curve (no steeper than any other program) if you are unfamiliar with 3D modeling but the price is easy to swallow if you just cant get into it. You can find tutorials (free) and help books (for purchase) through that site as well.

Once you complete your 3D model in Blender you simply export it as an .obj file then import it into O2.