Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Co06_Operation Lojack III (review please)  (Read 5216 times)

Offline W0lle

• CWR
Co06_Operation Lojack III (review please)
« on: 08 Mar 2010, 21:17:18 »

Author:
W0lle

Version:
v1.13

Required Addons:
None

Mission Description:
Sergeant Richard Moore disappeared three nights ago from one of the last outposts in Chernarus. Normally we would not send in a rescue team until we found out Moore's exact location, but Moore was carrying a prototype of an experimental tracking device, which was being tested by Army Rangers. It seems, whoever is responsible for his disappearance has no knowledge of the tracking device, and Moore has managed to activate the device. Your team goes in and get Moore out of there - alive if possible.

This is an attempt to bring back toadlifes famous 'Operation Lojack' mission back to ArmA II. The original mission was released in 2003 for OFP, I added more road patrols and camps in 2006 for VBS1 and I now converted that enhanced mission for ArmA II. There are 16 possible locations for the captive (6 in the original), numerous patrols on foot and in vehicles to keep you busy for a while.
You can either select a specific camp in the MP setup screen or a random one (default), you can also decide between Night/Day/Random daytime. In SP the default values are used (random camp and day).

Features:
Random location of the hostage, random patrols and strength, random weather conditions

Known Bugs:
On a dedicated server the extraction helicopter may cause problems, e.g. instead landing and waiting for the team to get in its just flying away. In this last version this should be fixed though.

ChangeLog:
Version 1.13 - New helicopter extraction script by Ghost added
- Daytime/Weather selection script by Moerderhoschi added
-Smaller fixes in scripts
Version 1.12 - Converted the soundfiles to wave and back to ogg, maybe they are more  audible  now.
Safehouse marker is hidden until needed to avoid any confusion.
- "Mama Bear" is now displayed as Mama Bear.
- Fixed the problem in the revive version in which the mission ends when there are still players alive. Thanks Norrin!
- Added silenced G36 magazines.
- Added a tiny intro scene so hoz stop naggin' :)
Version 1.11 - Fixed  the tracking device script which caused a CTD when someone
               other then the teamleader tried to use it.
Version 1.1  - All scripts converted to sqf, only leader can use tracking device
               extraction  script  fixed,  alternative  extraction  changed to a
               safehouse
Version 1.09 - New extraction script (thanks Benny!), group respawn added,
               reinforcement  groups have a 50% chance of appearance, this should
               reduce the amount of enemy units a bit
Version 1.08 - New  briefing  script  by  Shuko,  more  weapons  to  select from,
               ACE2 Version added
Version 1.07 - Overview added, SP Version created, amount of enemy in SP reduced
Version 1.06 - Added an alternative extraction point
Version 1.05 - Fixed screwed up script call in 1.04
Version 1.04 - Removed one script and replaced it with triggers
Version 1.03 - Redefined briefing and tasks
Version 1.02 - Extraction chopper is set to captive, ignores ground targets at all
Version 1.01 - Removed  debug  hint,  added  distance  checker  (active  only when
               tracking device is active)
Version 1.0  - Public release

Latest version:
Operation Lojack III v1.13 @ Armaholic
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 22:18:56 by W0lle »
CWR III Project Leader

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: Co06_Operation Lojack III (review please)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2010, 22:43:47 »
Looks good can't wait to try it out.
Xbox Rocks

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:21:38 »
This was one of my favourite missions, back in the good old days. Glad to see it converted to ArmA2.  :good:
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010, 22:39:06 »
I uploaded v1.11 (SP only) yesterday in which I fixed the screwed up briefing script call.

Was definitely one of my favorites too. Simply because no matter how often you played it, it was different every time.
CWR III Project Leader

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2010, 04:42:33 »
WE've played the mission a few times now and have come across a couple of issues. We are playing the revive version.

Firstly, when you're ejected from the helo, you'r ejects a pile of empty chutes and you're likely running the eject script on all machines instead of just the server.

Secondly we get a CTD after using the locator. Here is whats reported in the rpt file, its likely code being run on all machines and probably requires just server side scripting.

Warning: Delete out of order
Error in expression <";
_tracker say "click";
};
};
} else {
titleText["\n\n\n\n\n\n\n Only the Team >
  Error position: <titleText["\n\n\n\n\n\n\n Only the Team >
  Error 1 elements provided, 2 expected
File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Chernarus\scripts\trackerswitch.sqf, line 25

Some nice features to have would be the steerable parachuts, and also when you start the mission your up pretty high and its pretty blah.  What about having a cut scene on the ground during the first few(30) seconds of play?

We'd keep playing this some more but we've received the ctd a few times.
Xbox Rocks

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2010, 21:19:35 »
Awww hoz you know how much I hate cutscenes, don't you?  :D

Re. the parachutes: I think that's a problem with the game itself, there are 4 chutes in total - one for each crewmember of the helicopter. Why they are created is a miracle to me.

The CTD no one else reported yet and quite a few people played it yet. Not saying it doesn't exists though.  :)
Have you checked the mission with a client/server setup or dedicated server?

Need to check with Benny about that error, he changed the locator scripting for me.
Found the problem on my own I guess, the good man forgot to add the 2nd parameter to the titletext line.
Fixed that and will provide a new version asap.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2010, 21:24:58 by W0lle »
CWR III Project Leader

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2010, 22:55:50 »
Re. the parachutes: I think that's a problem with the game itself, there are 4 chutes in total - one for each crewmember of the helicopter. Why they are created is a miracle to me.

This happens becuase you are running the eject code on all the clients instead of just the server. You need to run the eject code on just the server. so if your using a trigger to do this.. you need probably move the code to a script and then in the script  run the code only on the server.

Good to see you fixed the CTD, we'll test it out in the next version.

We always test on a dedicated server. Its the only way to properly test a mp mission :D
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:03:29 »
The only version that can be DL'd is the SP.
TS3 IP: tor.zebgames.com:9992

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:35:55 »
This happens becuase you are running the eject code on all the clients instead of just the server... so if your using a trigger to do this... move the code to a script and then in the script  run the code only on the server.

Or you could just leave the trigger as it is and enclose the trigger's activation line with:

if (isServer) then {original code goes here}

The code will then only run on the server. Works very good with script snippets in triggers.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2010, 18:15:28 »
v1.11 is up, I (hopefully) fixed the parachute issue by adding

if (!local Server) exitWith {};

on top of it. Did a quick test and only seen 6 chutes now.

Also the CTD when trying to use the tracker not as leader should be gone.

No SP yet, if you wanna play SP run a local LAN game with yourself  :P

@nominesine
That could I have used too. Problem is that for me as n00b scripter it's very hard to decide what must run locally and what on server only.  :dry:
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 19:50:45 by W0lle »
CWR III Project Leader

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2010, 18:29:59 »
Awesome thanks for the updates. Please update the first post as that is where most members know to look for the newest version.

hoz

Edit:

Revive version... The mission is ending prematurely occasionally when there are still players alive. I meant to mention this last time sorry. but we played it a bunch of times tonight with varing results. Sometimes it worked properly and other times it didn't.

No weaponspool ammo for the g36sd.

When we are parachuted in, often 1 or more units are hurt.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2010, 04:17:15 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2010, 06:05:10 »
Played it all the way through. We got the prisoner to the Evac site and nothing happened then we went to safe house, still nothing. Maybe ALL blufor needed to be present in these triggers. Due to JIP's we were pretty spread out. Anyways, pretty good mission not hard at all really.

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2010, 21:39:19 »
@hoz
I need to talk with Norrin about this revive version. Somehow I knew why I initially had no interest in adding a version.  :P
The silenced G36 is using the same magazines as the silenced M4 (30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD), they are just not automatically added when you select that weapon. But I can add the silenced G36 magazines, that is no big deal.

I have that each time that atleast one of us is injured once we landed. No idea why actually but given under the conditions that jump takes place I think this is acceptable.

@Ironman
Yes all team members + the captive (if alive) must be inside the extraction trigger, marked by the blue round marker. In the ACE version one of your team members must also carry the radio in order to call in the extraction.

I'm not sure atm but the safehouse is only used when the extraction helicopter doesn't make it.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2010, 06:41:52 by W0lle »
CWR III Project Leader

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2010, 22:13:43 »
I built a quick steerable chutes demo for someone else if your interested in it.
Xbox Rocks

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:46:55 »
Sounds like a good idea, I catch you on skype about this.

But there is no blue, round marker showing the extraction area. One could think I know my own missions....  :whistle:
However the trigger size is 100 meters, centered on the extraction marker.

v1.12 is coming. So far I changed:
  • Converted the soundfiles to wave and back to ogg, maybe they are more audible now.
  • Safehouse marker is hidden until needed to avoid any confusion.
  • "Mama Bear" is now displayed as Mama Bear.
CWR III Project Leader

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2010, 09:03:49 »
Ughhh.... we had a blue cirlce surrounding the EVAC marker..... you seem to be talkin crazy.

Also, some guys made a fuss about the parachutes.... wasn't a big deal for me and no one was really injured.

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2010, 19:36:20 »
Ughhh.... we had a blue cirlce surrounding the EVAC marker..... you seem to be talkin crazy.
:scratch:  :whistle:
More like me lost total control about what is in my own mission and what not.  :blink:

Update 27-March-2010

I tried the steerable chutes from hoz but I'm not sure if I like the idea. But the script in general is good, was looking for something like that since a while.

I asked Norrin to check the problem with the Revive version but he's out of town for the next couple of days so there won't be anything new here anytime soon.
If someone wants to play the steerable chutes version I can upload it though.

I'm also out of action in about two weeks and don't know if and when I can update the mission after that. So since the respawn / no respawn versions seems to work best I would prefer one of them is used for review.
Of course I will do my best to fix all and every remaining issues asap.  :)

Update 29-March-2010

Uploaded v1.12, links are in the first post. SP version will follow.

Fixes/additions in this version:

• Converted the soundfiles to wave and back to ogg, maybe they are more  audible  now.
    Safehouse marker is hidden until needed to avoid any confusion.
  • "Mama Bear" is now displayed as Mama Bear.
  • Fixed the problem in the revive version in which the mission ends when there are still players alive. Thanks Norrin!
  • Added silenced G36 magazines.
  • Added a tiny intro scene so hoz stop naggin' :)

I also played with the steerable parachute script from hoz, but I don't like the idea of the AI (or players) flying around all over the place while they could be happy they are alive.
The "normal" version has still the script included, so if you wanna try it on your own unpack the mission and edit the "helohit.sqf". You just need to swap the comment at line 15/16.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 18:20:11 by W0lle »
CWR III Project Leader

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2010, 18:13:01 »
*Shameless bump*

I uploaded an "alternate extraction" version using Norrins revive script, see first post for the link.

In this version I removed the helicopter extraction completely and moved the extraction points to "safehouses" outside the AO. Once your whole team arrive there the mission ends.
Lame you may say and yes you're right but no matter what I try there's always a problem with the extraction.
But see it this way: It makes the mission also a bit harder because with some bad luck (camp in the middle of the AO) you need to travel a long distance with the captive until you reach the safehouse.

Please check this version and let me know what you think, cheers.
CWR III Project Leader

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2010, 04:09:37 »
Two of us gave this a go tonight, the revive version. We found just a couple minor issues.

The beeping script doesn't seem to stop after buddy has been killd. once that task is completed or failed the beeping should stop.

The extraction failed, the helo never landed at all. I noticed in the notes about the helo. If theres problems with the helo and ordering units into it, then I would move the units in and then move to a quick cut scene of the helo flying away.

Xbox Rocks

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2010, 22:34:11 »
Well you could surround the evac points with a trigger that tells you how many BluFor are in area. Store that in a variable and then use Mando's Heli-route. It won't land exactly where you want due to the retarded-ness that enemy AI cause. Just make sure the area around it is kinda large.

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2010, 01:36:59 »
The beeping script doesn't seem to stop after buddy has been killd. once that task is completed or failed the beeping should stop.
Hmm I think in all the years no one considered this.  :)
Will look into that asap.

With all those extraction problems which just doesn't stop I guess best would be I use the alternate version with the safe houses and keep the helicopter extraction version for those who wants to play with it.
It just takes way more time trying to get it work than it's worth it.  >:(
CWR III Project Leader

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2010, 19:44:11 »
Are you using Mando Heliroute Script?

It will probably land within 50-150 meters of where you want it to go... and you can wait for a specific amount of soldier to get in the chopper.

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #22 on: 09 May 2010, 15:14:23 »
I played the revive version with a friend and found this:

Offline W0lle

• CWR
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2010, 20:38:43 »
@Ironman
I played with the Heliroute script in the past 2 days and while I like Mandobles stuff it's just too much work to deal with as time is something I currently not have.

I would prefer if you guys would test the "alternative" version without helicopter extraction. If time allows I set up a test mission with just the helicopter extraction in so I can test the 5 different locations. Maybe the AI just don't like the one or other place which has too many obstacles in the LZ.

@fleepee
Thanks, I check that script asap.
CWR III Project Leader

Offline W0lle

• CWR
Re: Co06_Operation Lojack III (close please)
« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2011, 22:16:58 »
I finally released a new version of that thing.

Hopefully the helicopter extraction is now fixed by using a MP compatible script by Ghost.
I also removed the old random time/weather scripts and replaced it with a MP/JIP compatible one.

If someone could finally review this mission...  :whistle:

Disregard, please close this thread.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2011, 19:50:00 by W0lle »
CWR III Project Leader