Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Pilot Dying in Water  (Read 1751 times)

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
Pilot Dying in Water
« on: 21 Jun 2009, 21:36:07 »
I've got a curious problem.  I've ported over a fully-working mission I made from ArmA to Arma2, and everything works except that my objective (a pilot, who needs to be fished out of the water), dies.  I've removed all the triggers, etc. that could cause the problem, but it still persists.  There are two major issues:

1) The pilot (a simple editor-placed USMC 'Pilot') does not react, animate, or similar.  He simply stays exactly where he is, stood up (e.g. atop the water, or even 30m up in the air, if I setPos him).  He doesn't react properly.
2) He dies in a seemingly-random fashion after 5-10s... and then his body rests on top of the water/at the setPos'd height.

Update: I can't get any unit that I place in the editor to swim or tread water when they're spawned.  They just stand on top of the water, and die a few seconds later.

There are no script errors in the RPT file that would indicate that any of my scripts are failing to execute properly (and, in fact, that's largely irrelevant... as it simply doesn't work with or without them).

-----------------

Update #2:

Giving the unit a waypoint of some description (of any type that requires movement, it seems), allows normal AI behaviour (i.e. he falls into the water, and just treads water after moving to the location)... anyone got any idea why?

-----------------

Update #3:

If you place the waypoint more than ~10m from the unit (or very close to the unit)... the behaviour persists.  This gets more and more weird by the second.

-----------------

Update #4:

This happens regardless of who you spawn... if you spawn them on/in the water.  Spawning a three-man group, where two soldiers were in the water, they both died unless they were the group leader (who 'has' the waypoints).
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2009, 23:15:36 by JamesF1 »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Re: Pilot Dying in Water
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:09:00 »
This might be some bug in the game, I think early on there were people posting pictures of amphibious capable vehicles being on top of the water instead of being in the water.
Some dev then commented that that was some bug with the water, not sure if it was for the ponds or for the sea as well..
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2009, 17:26:10 »
Looks like I'm taking a trip to the report function of the bug-tracker! :)  Going to investigate more, first, though.

Edit: Looks like it's a bug introduced in 1.02.  Fun, fun, fun!
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 01:35:06 by JamesF1 »

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2009, 14:43:12 »
I can confirm this bug, and it also happens on the carriership, outside Utes island. Even in BIS original missions. All units placed on the carrier are SetPosASL:ed 15.9 meters up on the ship from their init lines. This places them exactly on main deck level. But if you place a unit on one of the parapets protruding over the water they sometimes will start out as dead. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be annying.

dePbo:ing the mission Trial by Fire suggests that BIS is already aware of this bug. When I opened  the mission in the editor I found several soldiers on the ship that never appears in the mission because ther Condition of Presence has been disabled as false. If I change it to true they show up again, but quite often they lie dead on the main deck.  :scratch:
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2009, 17:51:22 »
Yeah, I did some more testing, and it happens with editor-placed AI units in water.  And all setPos'd AI units.

I also added it to the bug-tracker, here.

Offline Goos

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2009, 20:23:45 »
Okay second time typing this as I got logged out of the forum typing it the first time lol. Anyway!

Here is a possible solution which is a bit weird. Place an empty boat in the location you want your pilot and have your pilot spawn in it. at mission start have him get out the boat and remove the boat from the map. I tried a quick test with myself and an AI in a boat and I ordered him out and sure enough he swims around happily. A long way for a shortcut I know but it seems to work.

I have come across the probs of floating AI dying myself. especially trying to spawn AI in building points where they end up floating and dying as a result. I have also noticed using the ambient civilian module that some civilians die in building doorways now as well and it all satarted with the patch 1.02

and here I thought patches were supposed to solve problems not cause them :dunno:

**EDIT**
For the sheer hell of it I set up a mission to try this scenario and it did indeed work.

Created a pilot named "pilot1"
Created an empty crrc boat named "boat1"

placed both where I wanted pilot to be stranded in the ocean. In pilot1's initialisation I have
Code: [Select]
this moveInCargo boat1and added 2 TALK waypoints for pilot1. Waypoint 1 On Act:
unassignVehicle pilot1Waypoint 2 On Act:
deleteVehicle boat1with a 2 second delay to be sure he's getting out of that boat before it goes bye bye.

Result 1 pilot stranded out in the ocean floating happily.. Well maybe not happily hehe.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2009, 21:13:33 by Goos »
Same $#!t different day.

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:26:58 »
the civies dieing in doorways and such is just a collision error, happens all the time in normal ArmA.
TS3 IP: tor.zebgames.com:9992