Missions Depot > OFP - Reviewed Missions

(Review Completed) [SP] Village De-Pacification v4.3

<< < (2/22) > >>

Zulu1:
Hey Kurtz,

I didn't know you were into making missions. I've downloaded it and gave it a bit of a spin. Seems to be pretty well thought out.
Intro cut scene
Good Briefing
More notes than briefing :)
AI squad does well against enemy
Had to add tinkiling bell music?...haha

When I have more time I'll give it a serious play through.

Watchout Zwobot and Marto, you may have some competition here... :whistle:

RKurtzDmitriyev:
Thanks you Zulu.  :)

New version uploaded! Changes described above. Enjoy. :cool2:

Krieg:
OK, here it goes...

Mission

I ordered Beast squad to move in, and when enemy was distracted and hit them from behind. Soon, I captured the city. Hind moved in as usual, but did not do too much damage. This time I was more then prepared for counter-attack. Enemy units came in, and I managed to destroy BMP2. Infantry started making push into the town. I was looking for suitable place to make my last stand (and find that ammo Beast was talking about). On my way I encountered enemy soldier while holding RPG in my hands. I had a choice. Try to switch to AK-47 and hope he does not hit me, or use my last RPG and kill him. I decided to use the second option. Killed him, switched to AK-47. This was good, because I encountered another soldier while passing between several buildings. I killed him too. Then I found that ammo and picked up 2 RPG rounds. I started searching for T72 to send him to same place I sent that BMP2 (hell, pretty much), and then Hind came above my squad and killed 3 of my guys. I got annoyed by it, and decided to use RPG and take that Hind down. I waited it to pass above me again to shoot. So it did, I shot the RPG and hit it right in the center. That was one of my luckiest shots. But, this indirectly got me killed. Hind managed to shoot me with it's cannons while falling down. Boom. I got white out. Next thing I know I am dead.

Suggestions:

-Sandbags. Add them so both enemy and player have more defensive options.

-Randomness & Strategy. Add more troops with less than 100% possibility of presence. And then also add maybe two options for Beast: To attack the town directly, or to try to lure most of town's infantry to woods so remaining resistance fighters would kill them there. Each options has it's advantage:
-Attack will mean that there will be more friendly units with you during counter-attack but it also means that you will have much more enemies to fight.
-Luring enemy will mean that you will have less enemies to fight during initial attack, but less troops with you during enemy counter-attack.

-Smarter enemy. Make enemies skill a bit higher so they would be more of a challenge. Make BMP in town less exposed to attacks. It was too easy to take out.

Nice mission by the way :good:!

Walter_E_Kurtz:
Bleedin' typical. Just when I was planning on moving away from being addressed as Walter or, God help me, Walt and instead being referred to with civility as Mister Kurtz, or maybe even Colonel Kurtz - my originally desired nom de guerre ...

--- Quote from: RKurtzDmitriyev on 07 Dec 2009, 21:23:11 ---(And there's no relation with Walter_E._Kurtz!).
--- End quote ---
I can only echo this as being true to my knowledge. Although I don't know how old you are; perhaps I met your mother?

Readme: Fine.

Overview: OK, but sneak closer to take the screenshot for the picture. The WGL Mod allows plenty of space for the overview to be displayed in.

Briefing:
   - markers work fine
   - needs a weapon selection. It doesn't have to be big, but otherwise it's a pain if I want to swap weapons with one of my team-mates. I'd say three each of AK-74s, Grenade Launchers, RPKs and PKs should be fine.
   - improve the skill of some of my team-mates: make at least a couple Veterans.
   - the objectives could better divided: the first one seems to check off as soon as the attack begins and the third shouldn't be joined. I'd suggest:
         1. Attack and eliminate the garrison.
         3. Hold the town against counter-attack.
     You may have to reconfigure the triggers for this as "alive _x" count ... for the various groups involved.

Mission:
   - only given it one try so far - didn't look after my squad and got taken out by the second wave.
   - you have a rogue line-break in recon.sqs preventing me from hearing later messages
--- Code: (recon.sqs) ---#
loop2
--- End code ---
   - since the WGL Mod mutes the radio messages, your mission really could do with some sounds (consider ripping Tasmanian Devil from the Resistance campaign - I thought there was a list of all dialogue from official missions somewhere, but I can't find it currently).

--- Quote ---And did I put in too many ambient sounds (birds chirping, etc)?
--- End quote ---
   - if you name them, I think you can deleteVehicle them once the shooting starts.

RKurtzDmitriyev:
Thanks for testing, Kurtz. Sorry about having a similar nickname. It wasn't intentional, I promise. I came up with "R. Kurtz Dmitriyev" as a funky pseudonym years ago.

--- Quote from: Walter_E_Kurtz on 14 Dec 2009, 16:07:33 ---Overview: OK, but sneak closer to take the screenshot for the picture. The WGL Mod allows plenty of space for the overview to be displayed in.
--- End quote ---

Roger.

--- Quote from: Walter_E_Kurtz on 14 Dec 2009, 16:07:33 ---Briefing:
   - markers work fine
   - needs a weapon selection. It doesn't have to be big, but otherwise it's a pain if I want to swap weapons with one of my team-mates. I'd say three each of AK-74s, Grenade Launchers, RPKs and PKs should be fine.
--- End quote ---

Roger. The reason I didn't add one to start with was that I wasn't sure how to balance it all. Gear screen will be improved, though.

--- Quote from: Walter_E_Kurtz on 14 Dec 2009, 16:07:33 ---- improve the skill of some of my team-mates: make at least a couple Veterans.
--- End quote ---

Hmmm...wouldn't want to make the mission too easy, but I can see your point as low-skill loons can be hard to work with. They're already at 50% skill. I'll give them more variety, at least. (some veterans, some rookies).

--- Quote from: Walter_E_Kurtz on 14 Dec 2009, 16:07:33 ---   - the objectives could better divided: the first one seems to check off as soon as the attack begins and the third shouldn't be joined. I'd suggest:
         1. Attack and eliminate the garrison.
         3. Hold the town against counter-attack.
     You may have to reconfigure the triggers for this as "alive _x" count ... for the various groups involved.
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure what you mean by the "the third shouldn't be joined." But I'll re-word the objectives.

--- Quote from: Walter_E_Kurtz on 14 Dec 2009, 16:07:33 ---Mission:
   - only given it one try so far - didn't look after my squad and got taken out by the second wave.
   - you have a rogue line-break in recon.sqs preventing me from hearing later messages
--- Code: (recon.sqs) ---#
loop2
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Thank you, will be fixed.  :)

--- Quote from: Walter_E_Kurtz on 14 Dec 2009, 16:07:33 ---   - since the WGL Mod mutes the radio messages, your mission really could do with some sounds (consider ripping Tasmanian Devil from the Resistance campaign - I thought there was a list of all dialogue from official missions somewhere, but I can't find it currently).
--- End quote ---

I'll see what I can do.  ;)

--- Quote from: Walter_E_Kurtz on 14 Dec 2009, 16:07:33 ---
--- Quote ---And did I put in too many ambient sounds (birds chirping, etc)?
--- End quote ---
  - if you name them, I think you can deleteVehicle them once the shooting starts.

--- End quote ---

Excellent idea, will be implemented.  :)

Thanks again!

EDIT: apparently I'm not allowed to double post, so here's feedback to Krieg as well.

--- Quote from: Krieg on 12 Dec 2009, 21:11:34 ----Sandbags. Add them so both enemy and player have more defensive options.
--- End quote ---

I'll add some more, but I was trying to portray the town garrison as somewhat ill-prepared (because they underestimated the resistance). So I don't want it to look like a hardened fortress. But a few more will hit the spot.  ;)

--- Quote from: Krieg on 12 Dec 2009, 21:11:34 ----Randomness & Strategy. Add more troops with less than 100% possibility of presence.
--- End quote ---

I'll consider it--I'll at least fiddle around with placement radii. (omg latin!!1)

--- Quote from: Krieg on 12 Dec 2009, 21:11:34 ---And then also add maybe two options for Beast: To attack the town directly, or to try to lure most of town's infantry to woods so remaining resistance fighters would kill them there. Each options has it's advantage:
-Attack will mean that there will be more friendly units with you during counter-attack but it also means that you will have much more enemies to fight.
-Luring enemy will mean that you will have less enemies to fight during initial attack, but less troops with you during enemy counter-attack.
--- End quote ---

Interesting idea, I'll think about it.

--- Quote from: Krieg on 12 Dec 2009, 21:11:34 ----Smarter enemy. Make enemies skill a bit higher so they would be more of a challenge.
--- End quote ---

Will be implemented.

--- Quote from: Krieg on 12 Dec 2009, 21:11:34 ---Make BMP in town less exposed to attacks. It was too easy to take out.
--- End quote ---

Eh, I'm not sure. The problem is that they'll be plenty more BMPs arriving in the counter-attacks, so it doesn't seem really necessary to make it hard to kill this one. I can't help but notice that no one so far has reported surviving all the counter-attacks.  :P

--- Quote from: Krieg on 12 Dec 2009, 21:11:34 ---Nice mission by the way :good:!
--- End quote ---

Thank you, hope you'll play the next update too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version