Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Daily Grind  (Read 9151 times)

Azraell

(Review Completed) [SP] The Daily Grind
« on: 07 Nov 2002, 21:10:03 »
ok, i would have had this up sooner, but my harddrive crashed, and i lost the whole mission, so i had to take 3 weeks to rebuild from scratch by memory. the file is 4 megs , i havent rebuilt the outro yet,i didnt want to take another 2 months rebuilding it, so to save time, you guys can test while i redo outro and readme.....made with 1.85 res, no addons, takes place on Nogova, ambush that turns into defend, the intro will explain all. My 1st mission, heres the link.... its D_G.zip....

http://philturner.freeyellow.com/stuff/D-G.zip

Edit: Version 1.2 of this mission is available from the Missions Depot.

Required addons: hmmwvsas_spoof (attached to this post)

Because of a badly configured addon (read more about it here), this mission demands "hmmwvsas" in order to run. I've created a small pbo that tells OFP this addon is present, but without adding any units, vehicles or weapons. Install it as a normal addon and delete it once you have finished playing The Daily Grind.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2009, 18:20:48 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
Re:You wanted to test, so here you go....
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2002, 00:34:47 »
Nice Mission Azraell!

I like the Indiana Jones music in the intro... it set the mood rather nicely ;) There weren't really any bugs that I found, apart from the end objective (see below for details).
So this is more of a 'Polite suggestion list' than a bug report. ;)

Briefing
  • Link to markers didn't link
Mission
  • Player starts the mission standing. Possibly have a short cutscene or fade in (just a view of the ridge or something) while using: player playmove "combattolying" ? It would make the transition from the intro to the mission seem more seamless
  • The player is set to hold fire. That stupid little red square will stay there for the remainder of the mission. To get rid of this, try using: "_x setcombatmode ""blue""" foreach ((units group) - [player]) to set the squad to hold fire. That way the player's combatmode won't be set to blue at the start of the mission (as you cant' change it back when the player is under player control)
  • Instead of using hints to tell you when the enemy is getting close, may I suggest using a radio call. (ie. from your sniper: "The enemy is within 150m and closing, Sir") . Also when the objective changes you could have some dialog instead of the hint message. Just another silly suggestion. ;)
  • The music during the fighting is nice, but can I suggest you turn it down a bit? (0 fademusic 0.5) It found it got in the way of radio calls sometimes.
  • Possibly add an autosave point (maybe after the reinforcements or after the objective changes?)
  • This one was the only real problem as far as I could see. I repelled the initial assault, and got the new objective. However while I was mucking around assigning fire teams (I had a cunning plan you see), the enemy started charging towards me! So, naturally I was still in my concealed ambush position, so I sat there and mowed them all down. Mission complete, without me having to advance down the valley at all.
Apart from the small problem with the last objective, this mission was very well done. Thanks for sharing ;D

Captain Winters

« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2002, 03:41:40 »
awhilst another mission for me to test tommorow!!!

Azraell

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2002, 14:22:23 »
hey, thnxs for testing it out.... i looked over ur suggestions, and ill have to reseach the forums and all that for things like the auto-save, but as far as the game generated dialog,  that looks a little difficult, messing with the stringtable thingy, didnt really understand it. :-X Was thinking of doing away with marker links all togethers since mission area is so small.(they worked in original, but since i was rushing to rebuild ...) didnt relize reinforcment music was so loud, so that can be done.And the spetz..... well, in original ,i had a mi-17 paradrop them in while fighting was going on, but when i was rebuilding mission, i thought, mi-17 is armed to the teeth, why would they paradrop troops in when they could just ripple the sh*t outta ya with all those 57mm rockets and win, and there are no weaponless east helos, so i scratched that and tried bmps...they couldnt make it up the hill, so i just had spetz down at the bottom coming up slowly at 1st, then charging with a reinforcment trigger. the plan was to get you into pass where youd be on even ground with the spetz when they come rushing up and not at an advantage above them.... think ill restructure that some...wish there was a weaponless east air transport, what do u suggest? should the spetz come sooner and get rid of advance into pass objective?  or just delay them some more? and with the beginning, yea, i remembered i wanted to do something with him standing  right after i finished uploading, and i knew some1 would notice it :-\..little stuff like that will be ironed out when i  complete the outro 8) anyhow thanks for the tips, i try to do what i can with the knowledge i have but im not real good with the coding. hell, my scripts are the most noobish things in the world, but they work for me :P not the type of editor im use to... :-[ (need some unreal maps made?) ;D

Azraell

« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2002, 14:29:42 »
btw......i had trouble with the blackhawk taking off when the 1st man jumps out. BH would say" board chopper" to all the men when they start exiting and blast off into the air ,throwing men all over the place. did the blackhawk come in and hover like it was suppose to till all men were off?

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2002, 15:06:16 »
u dont have 2 mess wid da stringtable 2 make radio massages just do

unitname sidechat "wateveruwantit2say"

btw i wil test da mision 2day or tomorow  ;D

LCD OUT

"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #6 on: 09 Nov 2002, 02:54:13 »
no bugs 4 me :thumbsup:

but u realy need 2 use da sidechat command nd link da trigs 2 damarkers ;D

LCD OUT

Azraell

« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov 2002, 13:54:26 »
thanks LCD, i already changed to side chat, but it doesnt have the snpiers name saying it ,just something like alpha black 3. how do i make his name in front of the messege? i tried the setidentity on it, either i did it wrong or thats for something else.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #8 on: 09 Nov 2002, 16:42:59 »
u cant  - dats one of da OFP probs ;D

LCD OUT

Azraell

« Reply #9 on: 09 Nov 2002, 17:32:50 »
k, guess his new name is alpha black 3 then:)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #10 on: 09 Nov 2002, 18:02:09 »
*thinks dere is a way u can get his name on da radio call just do it likedat

unitname sidechat format ["this is %1, THe enemy is less than 100 M far now",(name unitname)]

but it wil give his name in da msg itself (u can useit 2 show da players name also)  ;D like dat - name da player unit - lets say AP

now make dis

unitname sidechat format ["Text %1 Text", name AP]

so if u put

unitname sidechat format ["This is %1, Do you copy?", name AP]

it wil give u

"this is name, do u copy ?"

were in da nameu wil get da name of da player  ;D

LCD OUT

silent1

« Reply #11 on: 09 Nov 2002, 23:40:11 »
  I haven't tested your mission - sorry, but I only have 1.46, but about the Mi17, couldn't you just set the behaviour to careless? I understand that you might not be able to, but to me, this seems the easiest way. Setting the behaviour to careless will make the Hind ignore all enemies. Hope this helps!

Azraell

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2002, 09:31:00 »
hey, thnxz LCD, u da man ;D ....ill work those into me mission...it all sounds good......

i had the mi17 doing just that Silent :P ;) and it ignored all enemies and dropped in spetz natz..... but it wouldnt make any sense for the enemy to send a helo (with enough firepower to level half a city) to simply drop troops , when it could just rake the ridge you are on with rockets and cannon fire and u lose.

Skaven

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2002, 12:49:58 »
I would like to give some more constructive feedback  but Sui said it all  ;D

Nevertheless I thought I should tell you this mission is a tottaly must in my missions folder, It's been some time since I didn't play such a cool mission, I really love everything in it, the music is incredable, the intro is really touching, the mission itself is realy funny and actif to play,besides the mentioned little bugs I really couln't find anything wrong in it, one thing I've noticed, was that some of your team soldiers at the beggining, are too much berried into the ground, you can't even see their legs only the shadows, nothing too much but it was kind of strange  :o  ;D
Also when the MH60 arrived to reinforce the perimeter, it discended maybe until being 2 meters from the gound,kind of making the feeling the specops we're going to jump without parachutes, but when the MH60 fired , it climbed and the SpecOps jumped using parachutes, was this on purpose?

Other than that, I do find this mission one of the best I've played, it's smooth,adictif,very nice scripted, the picture at the briefing is incredable, the music was very well choosen...
Well I would love to wright more, but I'm gonna play it again, maybe later  ;D

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2002, 12:56:19 »
i was suposed 2 b reinforced ? didnt happen 2 me

LCD OUT

Azraell

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2002, 15:04:25 »
thanks for the comments and feedback skaven :D :) ......no, the BH is not supposed to tear off into the sky like that... they are supossed to jump out a few meters above the ground, but every so often it wants to fly off into the sky when the script activates and they start unloading....thought i had gotten it fixed, guess not.. any ideas why it would do that?... the script is from here...called paradrop.sqs....... reinforcments come when u take a certain loss to ur group LCD

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2002, 16:29:13 »
never lost ny1 ;D

LCD OUT

Azraell

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2002, 17:16:21 »
figured ya didnt :P...ive restructured alot since sui tested it. Made enemy more aggresive, worked on that BH a little more to keep it from  blasting into sky b4 men are off, and the radio thingys ;) thinking about adding 1 more squad that wont be in cadetmode (wanted it not to be too hard for beginners, but at same time made it a little too easy for vets, itll be juiced up some more for vets)

Skaven

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2002, 17:36:25 »
Yes indeed, no need to embarass me  ;D
The second time I played, the reinforcements didn't appear, cause only one guy died  ;D
I thought, oh man, I'm gonna be the laugh of the forum, almost my entire squad died, specially beacause I thought all the enemys were dead,so I sent them to scout the area, while with my nice binoculars I just stood looking at them, well, all of a sudent an enemy squad comes out of some trees and they were all dead ;D

You even thought on the probability of a player being a newbie, Great Work, really Great Work, again I would love to wright more, but I have to go play it again  ;)

Azraell

« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2002, 13:52:16 »
ok, all changes made :D...mostly cosmetic ;D...outro done  8)everything ironed out.  :) you wanna test again or may i submit? :-\ ...WARNING!!!!!!!  :o   if you wanna test again you wont get to see outro. you dont get to see it till its been submitted ;D :P

Skaven

« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2002, 13:55:50 »
well, that's up to you, but I think it already was tested enough (at least by me  ;D ).
One thing is for sure, please send the mission to the mission depot, this one Rocks  :thumbsup:

Azraell

« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2002, 12:49:23 »
ok, its been submitted, hope i did it correctly

Skaven

« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2002, 13:01:05 »
Thanks mate, I'm sure Anmac will be in contact with you if he discovers any problem  ;)

Edit: Version 1.2 of this mission is available from the Missions Depot.

Required addons: hmmwvsas_spoof (attached to the first post of this thread)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 22:08:15 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline nicserpiente

• Members
Re: (Review Completed) [SP] The Daily Grind
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2013, 22:45:31 »
Nice mision, in first attack i was wouded and call the medic, exacltly when he support me an russian kill him  >:(
after that i played the rest of mission wounded and my shigth move around, I use M21 rifle and kill strategic units, machinegunner, officer and sniper.
Cheers
NIC