Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.2 [Review Complete]  (Read 14099 times)

Offline CH

• Members
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v0.945b [updated 25th Oct 2009]
« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2009, 14:15:13 »
Version: 0.945
Difficulty: Regular

First attempt:
I think I noticed some small changes on my way over to the hangar. One helo was airborne and the other two was about to take off. A soldier that ran to hangar two (and then calmed down and started to walk). It felt as if the airport was more alive this time around.

I boarded the aircraft and began taxiing but I got stuck some 100-200m from the hangar because I had some problems with my joystick. When I arrived at the holding point I watched Hazel 05 land in front of me. I waited for the next waypoint to appear but nothing happened. Since I waited in front of the holding point I turned my aircraft around to see if that would help, but it didn't. So I took off anyway to see if I could carry on without waypoints, but after a few minutes it felt as if I had broken the mission so I restarted it.

Second attempt:
This time I reached the holding point in time and the takeoff waypoint appeared as one would expect. I managed to get to the target area without alerting the enemy. The tracking waypoint was very helpful.  I destroyed most of the trucks with unguided munitions and only took a few hits.

I didn't notice any changes to the second objective. The init waypoint reappeared for a split second when the convoy was destroyed. I took out one of the helos with the gun and some of the boats with Mavericks. Then I flew back to base and ended the mission.

Version: 0.945
Difficulty:Veteran

First attempt:
Took off without any problems but didn't stay below the assigned 100m AGL since I wanted to see the changes you've made.  The extra warning that the enemy was close was a welcome "heads up".

I engaged all four fighters but the convoy arrived before I could destroy the last bandit. No one fired any missiles at me, don't know if that was because denied them the opportunity or something else. Took some screens during the fight.

I saw the mission failure outro and I have a little suggestion.
Code: [Select]
cutText ["","BLACK"];
sleep 1.5;
_cam = "camera" camCreate _camPos;

Edit: image attachments (1, 2, 3, 4.jpg) lost in crash of 2009 - WEK
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2010, 23:17:50 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v0.945b [updated 25th Oct 2009]
« Reply #31 on: 10 Nov 2009, 15:31:44 »
First of all i haven't tested this version yet.

I lost the downloaded zip file along with a failure with my mem stick.

And i receive a 404 error with your download link.
You should check that attachment..
I think its lost along with the problem just happened a few days ago at OFPEC.

Please re-attach it,i am willing to go for a try........................
Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline HailStorm

• Former Staff
  • Strength: Air Combat. Weakness: Squad Leadership.
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v0.945b [re-uploaded 12th Nov 2009]
« Reply #32 on: 12 Nov 2009, 06:47:29 »
@haroon1992: I've re-uploaded the mission, should be fine to download now.

@CH: with the waypoint not triggering, the only explanation i can give is that you won't be able to proceed any further if any western troop or vehicle is in proximity of the runway, but since the only vehicles that are waypointed to travel within this boundary are the harriers, only two things could be occuring:

1: there might still be a harrier within this zone, either on approach, or sitting on the runway itself (you should get a clearance to line-up on the runway after Hazel lands; but you will not get a clearance to take off until hazel is far enough down the runway for you to have enough room to take off safely, or

2: you yourself might be inside this trigger zone, thereby preventing your own takoff clearance. however, this should have fixed itself up after you turned around and stopped BEFORE the holding point markers (with the centre of your aircraft directly above the holding point waypoint.

i'll have a look and see if i can re-create this one and see what i can do about it.

the fighters; this time it should be a little easier to fight them, as only two have missiles - given how hard it is to actually see the missiles in flight, it's possible that they did in fact fire on you, but luck made them miss.
Mi-24 Hinds in Abandoned Armies... T-72's in Punishment Battalion... if you leave it unlocked, I WILL find a way to steal it!

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.0 [Please Review]
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:52:14 »
Okay,let me have a chance to test your mission.....before it is being reviewed
I think your final versino hasn't been tested by anyone...??
Or we have been busy since this time.....

Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline HailStorm

• Former Staff
« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2010, 13:56:29 »
Both yes and no... I only just made it ready for review yesterday and I called it V1.0 just as it's the official 'finalized' release; the only change I've made in the mission is adding credits to the win outro and in the readme. Other than that, the mission is essentially V0.945, so I figured it really doesn't need further testing. but hey, tell me what you think anyway!
Mi-24 Hinds in Abandoned Armies... T-72's in Punishment Battalion... if you leave it unlocked, I WILL find a way to steal it!

Offline CH

• Members
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2010, 22:12:30 »
there might still be a harrier within this zone

That's it, my graphic settings don't allow me to see down the entire runway. Missed that earlier, sorry.

Played the mission again today, definitely ready for review. In my opinion, it's a very polished mission that deserves a big audience.

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:34:30 »
Yes,your mission is thrilling to play, especially when trying not to exceed the altitude limit (but i always exceed and limit and got shot by those boggies  :D)

I was unable to complete the mission though,I managed to kill the convoy,but as  you know,I am not a good pilot...
I landed my plane on the head of a US Soldier standing in the airfield  :D(LOL)

This is a great mission,and I can always try to improve both my flying skill and shooting skill by playing this mission.... :clap:

The radio chatters make the mission more realistic,the accent is perfect for this kind of message..(in my opinion)

Like CH,I was unable to spot that harrier due to my graphics limits...(I played it with a vd of only 500m,my CPU is the limitation here :()

Good Job
 :cool2: HailStorm :cool2:

(forgive my bad english)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.0 [Under Review]
« Reply #37 on: 11 Mar 2010, 00:20:11 »
Been playtesting this one quite thoroughly today.
PLayed on veteran, Arma version 1.18 no mods or addons.

There are still some mispells in the briefing although this is not what put the review on hold.

At first I decided to challenge the responding soviet aircraft and again I proved to be a terrible dogfighter. I proceeded to attempt to clear out the urals but found the amount of AA fire, bogies and my own flyboy inexperience to be too much for me to handle. That is definitely for the better flyboys and sure will make you challenge yourself to remain below the required altitude. Kudos on that player induced difficulty level.

I restart and this time I remain below the required altitude. The amount of AA fire is very frustrating but terrific at the same time because why wouldn't they protect their areas? I manage to make several swoop passes, ensuring that I angled between the cities and their eager guns and was successful in taking out the urals while taking only minor damage. (much easier without those bogies sniffing by vapors) At this point everyhting is working great.

Autosave kicks in and I'm off to recon the island. Works great. I'm ordered to guard the area so I begin making circle passes before I am ordered to engage some approaching helos. This works great as well aside from the fact that the A10 main gun sight is off a little. What I can not hit, the specops take out instead.

Next come the boats and I can't hit those things for squat but no matter, the specops take thos out as well.

Now comes the problem. After all boats are sunk, the guys just stand there on the shore and watch the waters. No matter what I do, it does not proceed from there.

So after getting low on fuel while waiting, I retry. Same thing. They kill the boats and just stand there. I take the opportunity to test all of the evac points starting with the island. All of those work great.

Bravo objective never ticks off and the mission will not end unless I bail and make it to a safe zone.

The outro still has an A10 clipping the hilltop, though not everytime. Thats okay though, it could represent the downing of another craft. :D
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010, 19:16:38 by savedbygrace »

Offline HailStorm

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.0 [Review On Hold]
« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2010, 06:51:52 »
Thanks for more feedback.

Misspelling - I just put the whole briefing document through MS word spell check, hopefully there are no more errors (besides the the idiosyncrasies between different versions of English i.e. colour=color), though if there is anything specific I've missed (or you think would fit better) feel free to suggest it.

A-10 sight - funny, I haven't noticed any error in the sight before or after 1.18 (although I'm referring the white dot, NOT the green overlay on the HUD). to be fair though aiming at those choppers is quite difficult because being over the sea there is no stationary reference point to judge the speed of those choppers so you can attempt to lead them with the gun reticule.

Boats - I've been re-playing this, and I just cannot replicate what you experienced, however there was one point where the troops ran out of ammo (which created a short pause as they ran over to an ammo box and grabbed more rounds), but they did still successfully kill all boats before I was running on empty tanks. did you get the radio call of the pilot telling the helicopter crew the boats have been sunk before the showstopper?
the radio conversation is supposed to trigger the moment all 6 boats (not boat crew) are dead, and the same trigger calls the javelin soldiers back to the rescue chopper as well. So if the showstopper happens after the radio call, I'm completely stumped as to why. If it happens before, the only reason would be that the game believes one of the six boats hasn't been destroyed yet. Do you still have the save file of that mission? maybe send it over to me so I can take a look.

Evacs - good to know they work. did you notice that you may get company if you hang around your wrecked aircraft for too long?

Outro - Added a few more meters to the A-10's altitude - it's strange, this never occurs when I run the outro, maybe it's a frame rate or otherwise different computer-related issue.

Posed an Updated Version 1.1 in first post.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.1 [Review On Hold]
« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2010, 13:49:49 »
The A-10 sight really is probably my inability to use it properly but I had to aim above each target to hit it.

I do remember from a previous test, some enemy uazmg approaching my position after I bailed though I didn't know they focused on the craft. I did not see any responders thsi sime around though I did not hang around either.

I played it only twice. The first I went above the alt limit and encountered the enemy fighters. I restarted and kept below the limit during the second play and kept retrying from the savepoint after the convoy was destroyed. The helos and boats seemed to get destroyed everytime but I never received a message that they were loading up. They all just stood there on the bank watching the water where the boats were.

I did view the outro several times and the A-10 did not crash everytime, in fact, it occurred the very first time I viewed the outro and not afterward.

Will give it another go.

EDIT: The cause of the showstopper was a boat near the shore that I had just grazed with my gun and killed the crew(I think) since there was an unmoving boat near the mainland. All ended fine once the boats were destroyed.
I have completed the review and it awaits checking by other staff but I was wondering if you would like to add something which destroys the boat if its crew are dead, just to be sure the mission will end properly?
« Last Edit: 24 May 2010, 22:26:14 by savedbygrace »

Offline HailStorm

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.1 [Review Complete]
« Reply #40 on: 30 May 2010, 12:22:01 »
Thanks for the update savedbygrace, just fixed this and the intro sound desync in version 1.2, which will be up shortly.

The boat fix will now kill the crew if a boat is destroyed, and also the opposite will occur if somehow you get the driver and not the boat itself. Thanks for this catch - I never would have come across this omission otherwise.

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.1 [Review Complete]
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2010, 12:29:44 »
Is the mission really Review Completed?

I am definitely gonna try it tonight.

Regards,
Haroon1992

Offline HailStorm

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Hog's Breath v1.2 [Review Complete]
« Reply #42 on: 30 May 2010, 13:00:04 »
Version 1.2 posted on first page.

- v1.2
   - Added code to prevent abandoned boats from preventing the mission progressing
   - Extended the UAV intro to better sync with the sound effects

@haroon1992: the review is in 'pending' status, meaning that it's written, but waiting to be checked by other staff members for things such as spelling and syntax errors, etc. It should be up as soon as it's cleared for publish.