Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Noob editing question...  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Acid

• Members
Noob editing question...
« on: 03 Mar 2009, 13:38:43 »
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

First i have access to several different tools. What id like to do is configure weapons. Those that are already in the game (not making them). Which file holds this information please and also vehichals ? Iv looked no wiki it talks about the variables, file formats, etc. it dosent actually explain how to do it.

Id like to make some changes to my game if possible. Iv just started the SP campaign. Im now on i think the second mission. Im supposed to take out a couple of enemy tanks guared by about dozen soldires at night in pitch black dark all by myself and then make it back to the extraction point. I dont no what Bohemia was thinking when they came up with this.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Noob editing question...
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2009, 17:14:36 »
Hi,

It's a little hard to tell what exactly you mean by "configuring weapons". Do you want to edit them (=create an addon) or simply give yourself more/different guns (=regular scripting)? If you're just having some trouble with a mission or two and want to give yourself an edge, I suggest you try out something like Lost Keys System by Loki, which should let you wreak enough mayhem to pass just about any mission :)

If not, please be more specific so that we can help you.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Acid

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2009, 21:53:06 »
It's a little hard to tell what exactly you mean by "configuring weapons".

I want to try and "directly" edit the ingame weapons. Is this possible, or do you have to recreate them by an addon ?

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2009, 23:59:16 »
If by that you mean make a certain weapon do more or less damage or other fundamental changes like that, then you'd need to make an addon and reconfigure them using a C++-like configuration file. You could still use the existing weapon models and textures if doing this.

However, there are many addons already made which both add a large number of weapons and/or make them much more realistic compared to the defaults. I'd suggest looking for existing replacement weapon addons before you go on a long quest to learn about and then reconfigure all the weapons in the game!
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline hamis

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2009, 12:05:15 »
Spooner,what the hell are you talking about?All he has to do is download Kegety's tools http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=411,and Eliteness,http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?action=details&id=383&page=0. Depbo addons/weapons.pbo with Eliteness.Then select config.bin,right click  and select derapify.Then from file menu save as,write "config.cpp" and triple check it is saved to right folder!Inside you can find "hit" value for every ammo,which is how powerful it is.Of course there is much more stuff you can edit.There is some more weapons in weapons3.pbo.Then you have edited config just right click folder and select "make pbo",requires you installed kegety's tools.Before repacking rename original file to be safe!

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2009, 12:22:08 »
config.cpp is the C++ style configuration file that needs to be edited, and what you describe as making an addon, just like suggested earlier..

So no need for the 'attitude'  :shhh: ;)

Im now on i think the second mission. Im supposed to take out a couple of enemy tanks guared by about dozen soldires at night in pitch black dark all by myself and then make it back to the extraction point. I dont no what Bohemia was thinking when they came up with this.
That's the one with the base in the valley with hills on one side?

If so, go to the opposite direction of the objective until you find a guard post with a chopper in it, kill the guards, jump into the chopper and go to obliterate the base.. That's one way you can do it..

If you're talking about some other mission, then ignore this  :D
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2009, 20:46:51 »
@hamis

There is no need to have both Eliteness and Kegeys' tools, unless you really want both, Eliteness will UnPBO a PBO and pack it back into a PBO as well afterwards.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Acid

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2009, 22:09:06 »
Just to see how this would work before i actually edited anything, I depbo'ed weapons3 and then repacked it, moved the original weapons3 file to another folder, placed mine in the addons folder in place of it and started the game, got to the armory, attempted to try out a m16a4 gl and then CTD.  :dunno:

Eliteness is creating .pbo files that my game cant read. What patch version are you guys on / or that Eliteness is compatible with ?

I play on 1.08

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2009, 22:19:52 »
1.08 is significantly out of date. 1.14 is the current stable patch (recommended) and 1.15 is the current beta patch. Still, this shouldn't affect compatibility for what you are doing.

The addon will already have been read by ArmA by the time you get into the game, before you start the armoury, so I doubt the error was with Eliteness.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Acid

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2009, 12:15:53 »
The prefix files, do i need a prefix file in the created pbo or do i need to make one ?

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2009, 12:56:44 »
Wait a minute braniacs. Wolfrug had the best idea for Acid. Lokis lost key is an addon that you pop into the addons folder of a mod folder and voila; you have every weapon(addons and original) currently loaded by the game to choose from by accessing the Morsa gear section. I would get an idea of what ammo coincides with what weapon though as it can get tough deciphering classnames without a list to refference. You can drop an ammo crate at any time and rearm or if thats not good enough, you can choose the uber weapons mode in the magic category and have unlimited ammo for the rest of that mission. You can adjust your view distance at a whim, enhance your health by utilizing wolfrugs body armor, heck you could be nearly invincible if you so choose. You can call in arty strikes, carpet bombs, fuel air bombs and even a little camel pilot to help you out.
The good thing is that the effects endure throughout the current missions boundaries so if you need unlimited health and ammo to get through a tough spot in one mission but you want to try it without on the next mission you can. Each mission requires you to choose the option again.
Oh and I forgot; need a helicopter because the author's bird crashed due to scripting problems? Just drop one next to you and finish the mission out. Need a tank? you can have that too. How about some backup? Select some units to aid you in taking the next town or guarding your vehicle while you move ahead. basically, any weapon, any vehicle, anytime.
It is absolutely fantastic for testing broken or lacking missions and even having a bit of fun with.