Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFPEC Refreshed!  (Read 12405 times)

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
OFPEC Refreshed!
« on: 07 Dec 2008, 21:43:33 »
By now you've noticed the new look OFPEC is supporting.  Please post any comments you may have about the new interface, we would be encouraged by hearing your feedback!

Many thanks to Bedges who put many hours into making it all our ideas come to life!
Xbox Rocks

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
Re: OFPEC Refreshed!
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2008, 21:49:30 »
yes many thanks too bedges  :whistle: nice work!  :good:

Semper Fi

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2008, 01:04:17 »
I like the new font, textures and things that are actually in colour, but...

- I'm not wild about large areas of pure black at the top and bottom of the page. Have you thought about mimosa (an optimistic yellow); it's supposed to be the colour of 2009?

- there used to be a link on the forum page "Show new posts since your last login". Any chance of it making a return, or am I doing something wrong?

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2008, 07:36:23 »
bedges, excellent job! Keep up the good work everyone!

The new look is quite attractive, and I think it is in line with the new Web 2.0 look that many people are looking for when they hit the web. It defiantly keeps the good aspects of the previous OFPEC look, yet adds a new touch - well, more than a touch - to the aesthetics.

My only constructive criticism is that the content wrapper seems fixed width. On my 22" wide screen, probably 40% of the screen is wasted because the content wrapper doesn't resize.

Other than that, great job! Lovin' it!
Keep up the work, guys!

@ Walter
I have, in the top right corner under the DATETIME, a button that says NEW REPLIES. I believe this is the button you are looking for?
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2008, 11:33:03 »
@Walter - I've added a second tab top-right: 'New Posts' shows all unread posts, 'Your Threads' shows new replies to threads in which you've posted. The tab descriptions might not be clear enough, but 'new replies to threads in which you've posted' is a wee bit long... any suggestions for alternatives are welcome.

As for Mamosa... um, aye. Maybe next year  ;)

@Tyger - The fixed-width layout was one of the more major decisions made during the redesign (which is only about 20% of what was done to the site), and I agree that to many members it may be the most drastic change.

The liquid layout was causing too many hassles when it came to adding and correctly placing features within the page structure. Additionally, the liquid layout was stretching the content riiiight across the screen at higher resolutions - assuming the browser window was maximised - which doesn't make for the best readability of text content.

We went for 1024x768 which seems the most conservative minimum. Besides which, if it's good enough for the BBC, CNN and ArmedAssault.info, it's good enough for us ;)

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2008, 13:29:02 »
Loving the new look. Looks very "fancy". Great job! :D

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #6 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:51:09 »
good job  :good:

Only fixed width and A1 pic are small cons.

You may want to think changing the background
color outside of the 1024 range.

Either only the black pattern or the "brownish" in between.
It would help to concentrate the view into the center.  :scratch:

# Broken image link removed - bedges
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2009, 00:18:02 by bedges »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:39:18 »
Glad you like it.

The dark background seems a bit too stark. The camouflage works better though - we'll give it some thought.

Not sure what you mean by A1 pic?  :dunno:

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #8 on: 08 Dec 2008, 20:13:36 »
Beautiful job gents!  Thanks for all your hard work.  I greatly appreciate it!
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 09 Dec 2008, 04:08:09 »
@bedges
Well put - that makes perfect sense.

Also, took a peek in the Ed Depot and the Intel Depot. They look great with the new features! It seems like plenty of code was put into the new site, and I'm sure the effects of such will be greatly appreciated.

And to add my thoughts, I think the camo is a nice touch in between as well.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline B2KDragon

• Members
    • Dogs of War
« Reply #10 on: 09 Dec 2008, 20:00:54 »
i do agree great job was very surprised when i came on to see it had all changed

2 things to comment on though
navigation menu looks a bit weird ever thought of putting possiblly something inbetween the gaps

and possiblly add a offical staff page to the main site instead of just the forum

great job never the less

thanks (i am at ofpec right  :cool2:)

Dragon

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 09 Dec 2008, 20:54:57 »
We have a similar staff page in the new FAQ section. It's maybe a wee bit buried in the site structure, but then we're all a bit shy ;)

Offline B2KDragon

• Members
    • Dogs of War
« Reply #12 on: 09 Dec 2008, 23:52:22 »
ah yeah i see it nice work hope you keep going arma 2 will you keep all of you lot here busy i can tell that

Offline Luke

• Members
  • Thank God! The OFPEC Staff are here!
« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2008, 06:04:16 »
How about brining back the total logged time?

I love showing friends how much total time I have spent on this website.

Luke
Pesky Human!!
Wort Wort Wort.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2008, 08:37:51 »
That information is still available in your profile - click 'Stats'.

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2008, 19:55:24 »
I'm impresssed, good job bedges!  :good:
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2008, 02:39:17 »
The new site looks clean and I applaud the policy of keeping gaudiness of signatures to a minimum and focussing on the actual content. As someone who has been using OFPEC since the early days of OFP, I appreciate the thought put into the efficiency to the user, especially when it comes to answering questions about editing. As we all know, the more time you can shave off in the missionmaking process, the more missions can be produced.

One area that often gets overlooke is the managing of the forums so that the most pertinent content stays and the off-topic stuff gets removed in a timely manner. Again, that makes perusing the forums for answers to questions more enjoyable and more effective.

Good work OFPEC, as always.
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2008, 23:05:20 »
Well what happened here  :)

I think it is better than the old but I'll have to browse around here more to really know  :scratch:

Anyways it is positive to notice that there is still much work going on to improve this website. A big thumbs up for everyone working in the staff.

I am as well very much favouring a cleaner style. Signatures are so annoying that it is much better without them. I don't come to these sorts of websites to read signatures!

OFPEC can and should and does stand out from the mass of websites by concentrating more on the actual useful content, on the so-called signal, instead of letting the so-called noise steal a major part in the show.

Best Regards,
Baddo.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2008, 13:53:43 »
Hi guys. :) Again: Wonderful new site, it gets better shaped up every week! :good:

I have two more questions about the mission depot:

1) Is it possible to implement again the possibility to order the missions by rating too? Would be good again to have the 10/10 points missions at the beginning of the list. :-[ I hope that everyone understands this... :)

2) Is it possible in the multiplayer mission lists to add for how much players the mission is (at the mission name already)? Otherwise one who is looking after, let's say, a mission for 4 people, will look only by name, which name sounds interesting. And by the rating, of course. To name it: The search is more difficult.

Regards, Undeceived
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2008, 14:27:59 by Undeceived »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2008, 14:57:32 »
The number of playable slots is already there within the review. I'll leave bedges to comment on the sorting. :D
Xbox Rocks

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2008, 15:05:51 »
I got the impression he wanted the number of playable slots as part of the mission name like co12_Kill_Them_All or somesuch.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2008, 15:07:47 »
A new sorting interface is currently in development which will enable users to sort by mission type, game, author, title, publish date, reviewer, score, number of players, island, weather - basically any field that appears in the review. Users will also be able to define how many results to show per page, and toggle ascending/descending order.

This will be a generic interface across depots, although the options available will be dependant on the content of the resource details, and naturally putting it together is not an easy job, especially given the time of year when RL is getting busier by the day. However, you can expect this feature (and a few other finishing details) to be in place in the depots very soon.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2008, 17:12:21 »
This sounds awesome! Great ideas! I wish you and all others involved sucess with the page!

I got the impression he wanted the number of playable slots as part of the mission name like co12_Kill_Them_All or somesuch
Yes, that's what I meant. The one searching doesn't need to search through all reviews then to find missions for 4 players (as an example).

Thanks all!
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2008, 02:01:03 »
Looking good guys!

Well done and congrats on all your hard work.

The site seems to be much faster than it was in my day... :D
It's all looking clean, new and fresh.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 29 Dec 2008, 16:19:23 »
Hello Sui,

Nice to see you are still bopping about occasionally,  Seasons Greetings.

Planck

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 30 Dec 2008, 20:01:35 »
Looks good. :)  Is there a different thread to report glitches?  I think there's a broken link in the "waypoints" entry to the "waypoints" data type.

But, like the new layout!
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 30 Dec 2008, 20:07:42 »
If what your talking about is in the comref then leave a comment and planck will tend to it when his glass I ment coffee cup is empty. :)

Also, bugs can be reported as usual in this thread.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2008, 20:10:50 by bedges »
Xbox Rocks

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2009, 07:38:36 »
Wow. The new design looks great, good job bedges  :good:
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2009, 07:55:01 by XCess »

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2009, 19:58:06 »
Holy crap, he lives! :blink:

Offline MehMan

• Members
« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2009, 01:28:21 »
Is there a way to switch the site back to the way it was before?
Shit happens.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2009, 01:54:33 »
Time machine!

Planck

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2009, 02:17:39 »
There is a image in the History article which will take you back. But in all seriousness what is it you don't like?
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2009, 08:27:36 by bedges »
Xbox Rocks

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2009, 00:57:12 »
OFPEC, Thank you for your many years of support! I was a lurker from Day 1, ok maybe Day 2. But I was there!

Anyone remember that guy with what someone dubbed "that dodgy name" cumboy? I about fell out of my chair when I heard that!!

I love the new design and I'm glad to see a return to the "EDITING" portion of the game. Add-ons and other high bandwidth suckers can be hosted other places. Maybe like the old "web-rings". One for code and where and how to put it. Another for addons, which in turn can be broken down into vehicles, islands, units, etc. Spread the wealth around.

The only think I don't particularly like is the large Black band where it says "Site Map". Otherwise, I like the fresh look.

Offline Squelch

• Members
« Reply #33 on: 06 Feb 2009, 07:06:05 »
Hi guys,

Like fallujahmedic, I'm a serial lurker from very early on, and I've followed your fortunes up and down over the years. The focus back on editing is welcomed here too. There are so many other addon sites, so editing resources and knowledge, to my mind at least, belong here where it all began.

The new look is easy on the eye, and navigating to what is wanted is a breeze. Keep up the good work.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 06 Feb 2009, 16:13:27 »
Thanks for the feed back and good to see you got yourself signed up to OFPEC!
Xbox Rocks

Offline Trash Can Man

• Members
  • We are no longer the knights who say "Ni!"
« Reply #35 on: 28 Feb 2009, 16:01:19 »
It's been way too long sinve I have been here! I always like coming here. OFPEC community has been the sole reason I even play OFP/ArmA in the first place!! You guys keep up the great work!!  bravo!  well done!   :clap:    :good: 

TCM

Offline RichUK

• OFPEC Patron
  • Have fun!
« Reply #36 on: 24 Mar 2009, 09:57:45 »

Great work Bedges and all.. looks fantastic!

As  for the 1024x768, "...if it's good enough for the BBC, CNN and ArmedAssault.info..." - agreed!  Being a silly old bugger, i use <Ctrl>+ with my browser to make the font bigger anyway (I will have to get some glasses for use with my computers now I think).

PS: After 8 years living in California, i am moving back to England in the summer, actually to the wilds of Cornwall.  Might even get going with OFP and ArmA again...

Rich  :blink:
(who stole the :old: smiley? ... lol)

Offline humphrey

• Members
« Reply #37 on: 05 Apr 2009, 09:47:58 »
Ya I just wanna ad by 2cent to this thread by sayin AWESOME site. I went across an voted for you guys in the communty awards. I hope you guys stay around for ARMA2 cuz well be needin you guys to give us the lowdown on how to do shit.

Keep up the great work guys. OPFEC IS AWESOME  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Lone-Wolf

« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr 2009, 17:23:39 »
I think that, despite it's improved graphics, ArmA shouldn't dominate the look and feel of OFPEC.

As of right now, all the pages feature ArmA screenshots (as far as I have seen so far) and I think that that is a bit too far. I am a diehard fan of Flashpoint and think that it deserves at least some screenshots despite it's somewhat pixelated nature.

A good midway point that upsets no-one would be to include real-life photos of 1980s warfare, tanks, soldiers etc. (Perhaps OFP island-esque villages?)

The rest of the interface and look is excellent BTW.  :good:

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #39 on: 16 Apr 2009, 20:42:31 »
You need to look harder, there are a few flashpoint shots there as well.   :cool2:

The present banner for example is from OFP.

Planck

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2009, 18:39:06 »
Looking very good and running very smooth guys. It's very clear. Modern but not compromising the OFPEC and OFP feel.
WELL DONE!  :clap: :good: :yes:

God I miss you guys..
Not all is lost.

Offline firegraphite

• Members
« Reply #41 on: 12 May 2009, 04:28:53 »
Everything looks great. Very polished work. Although I have to agree with Lone-Wolf. It does seem to be pretty much dominated by Arma.. Makes me feel like OFP is slowly dying... *shiver*

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #42 on: 12 May 2009, 06:30:16 »
Makes me feel like OFP is slowly dying... *shiver*
when you added the word shiver in there it kinda hit me  :o
 but looking back ofp was what 8, 9 yrs ago  :scratch:
Its probably lying in the $9.99 box at the beginning of the shop now  :)
anyway i remember playing the demo, it blow me away :yes: it is my first love as simulation games go!
i think a lot of us forget this web site is called OFPEC, not ARMAEC and i dont see us changing the name to ARMAECII in the near future either!!!!
maybe one of the guys from one of are many Depots will add some imagines from OFP and or CWR or bedges might.
cheers. schuler
« Last Edit: 12 May 2009, 09:37:31 by schuler »
Semper Fi

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 12 May 2009, 18:09:20 »
Rest assured that we have no plans to do away with OFP as long as there are fans asking questions and people there to support them.
Xbox Rocks

Offline firegraphite

• Members
« Reply #44 on: 13 May 2009, 06:13:34 »
Yay!!! Operation Flashpoint still rocks!!!  :D

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2009, 15:47:38 »
I truly know of no other game that has such a following that spans nearly a decade now. Except Pac-man; hey theres an idea for a mod... :D

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #46 on: 30 May 2009, 04:19:21 »
I see more new changes on the site!  :yes:

@savedby how bout Mrs Pacman vs Pacman Mod in a nice suburban domestic assault.   
Semper Fi

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #47 on: 24 Jul 2009, 19:51:20 »
I'm not sure if I like the login box on the front page requiring Javascript...  :scratch:

No, I am sure, I don't like it. But perhaps I am in the minority when I don't have Javascript enabled but only when I really really have to enable it.

I have the opinion that all "core" features of a website should not require Javascript, or any plugins like Flash etc.

In my ideological world Javascript would be used to enhance a website but it would not be required to use the website.

It's a matter of opinion, though, and I'm not saying my opinion is the correct one in all cases.

Overall the work done on the website is really good.  :clap:
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2009, 19:55:33 by Baddo »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: 29 Jul 2009, 12:18:33 »
The login function on the homepage and in the Depots is as you describe it: an enhancement.

Users can browse and make use of practically all parts of OFPEC without logging in. It's only when members want to post in the forum that they must log in, and there's a login button in the forum which doesn't require javascript.

In principle you're right and I agree, however our stats show you to be in a javascript-denying minority ;)