Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Instant action idea  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Trexian

• Members
Instant action idea
« on: 13 Jan 2009, 20:41:58 »
I have an idea for something that isn't really a mission or a campaign.  Kinda like Instant Combat - just add a player.

Basically, randomly spawned blue/red troops throughout the island.  Player spawns at the Paraiso airfield with a group and 2 helos.  Markers show where there is a mix of red/blue troops, so the player knows where he can head to get in on the action.  Also, perhaps have various resupply/reinforcements, otherwise the player must scavenge.  There would be an option to play as either blue or red force.

And yeah, most of the scripts are already out there, it would just be putting it together.  Has anyone else done this?

The idea for it comes from 2 places:
- an old DOS game called Command HQ that had a mode where you started in a random place on the map - and so did the enemy;
- the flight sim Falcon 4 had an "instant action" mode.  It was kinda arcadish, in that it was you against a bazillion other planes, but all the flight/weapon/switchology modeling was still realistic.

Thoughts?
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Re: Instant action idea
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2009, 17:41:38 »
Sounds interesting to me. also you could have suprise by the enemy too when you go to find instant action, enemy capable of calling reinforcements and such.

Sounds like an MP Mission.   Little things with OFP can definitely turn into big missions and ideas... :)

Good thought, hey if I were you I'de make it if you had the time..
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2009, 20:24:29 »
I believe I will. :)
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2009, 21:52:17 »
Ok, not sure if it is a breach of protocol to post an alpha-level version of the mission here (I don't think it is quite ready for posting in the betatest forum, but perhaps soon).

So, some pics.

Troops randomly spawn across the map.  There are markers to show the relative number of troops in the area of the city/town.

They are updated at random intervals, to kinda mimic the fog of war.

During the mission, various other things will spawn:
civilians
troops of either side
armed cars
unarmed cars
armor
air vehicles
ammo boxes (with random weapons/ammo)

When something spawns, smoke will be generated (random color).

When a vehicle spawns, nearby AI troops might get in.

You start as leader of one group, with access to 2 helos.  But, you can teamswitch to the leader of any spawned squad.

The troops spawn with search and destroy waypoints and on yellow alert.  There's lots of fighting. :)

Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2009, 14:44:00 »
I dont quite understand your concept to all extent.

Do AI units go from town/bubble to town/bubble or do the stay in there?
How are you trying to ensure a lively battlefield (large distance / not much action going on).

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2009, 15:09:33 »
At this point, AI do not move from town to town... although, now that you mention it, I can probably work something like that up.

What I have so far, is that if there are no more enemy in the town, then it is "taken" for your side. But that is just an idea - a "construct" - really.  You can kinda graft whatever story you want onto it.

But, you can also teamswitch into any units there, and move them on, if you want.

The action comes from 2 different influences.

1) The AI spawn with basically a combat mentality, and waypoints that make them travel several hundred meters.  That is plenty in most cities; the chances are very good that AI units will encounter each other and go into combat mode.

2) AI troops will continue to spawn in and around cities.  They have the chance to be friendly or enemy.  So, even if a town is "taken" it may not be that way for long, in the sense that enemy AI can still spawn there.

Also, the fundamental idea is that the mission is unstructured.  It is really about pure combat.  You get to decide what areas to fight in, based on where the enemy is.  The goals are basically: to survive, and to fight.
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2009, 21:24:09 »
I understand a bit better.

So you are spawning both sides in each/some circle and have them look for each other via WPs in the given circle?

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2009, 22:40:49 »
Sic semper tyrannosauro.