Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [COOP4] Especas Commando  (Read 4469 times)

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
(Review Completed) [COOP4] Especas Commando
« on: 21 Mar 2007, 00:17:16 »
final version
=========================
co4@ Especas Commando
mission author
--------------
shark attack
mission type
--------------
CO-OP (close combat)
no of players 1-4 (group respawn)
mission requirements
---------------------
ArmA V 1.5
NO ADDONS REQUIRED
-----------------
situation report
-----------------
over the last months attacks against our forces have reached a new level.
new tactics and weaponry deployed by the rebels are having a devastating effect on the morale of our forces.
==================================
in an effort to cause an uprising against our government It is suspected that
U.S special forces are providing training and weaponry to rebel forces ..
we have intel that a training camp is being established in the remote jungles to the north
===================================
an operation to destroy the camp and any of its occupants has been sanctioned
===================================
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
destroy the rebels fuel supply
Destroy the rebels communications
find and kill rebel leaders
destroy the american weaponry provided to the rebels
=====================================

OFPEC Download.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2008, 13:38:59 by Cheetah »
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
Re: co4@ Especas Commando V103
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2007, 02:20:57 »
hey Shark Attack,

Have you seen the movie Predator?  I don't know if this was intentional or not, but the opening attack definitely reminded me of the scene where Schwarzennegger and his commandos take on a guerilla outpost in the jungle.  Very fun.   I thought the difficulty was just right-- i went in head on and got crushed, reloaded and used my brain and circled around and finished off the first base.  Instead of attacking the second base next I tried flanking where I thought a third enemy base would be, and I did find it. 

1) your team has binoculars but you don't
2) the pickup truck had no gas, coulda been nice to jump in that for a ride
3) Liked the opening jungle shot, but you could make some intro cutscene, throw in some music, overview etc

Almost done haven't gotten to the end just yet. (sent your email a private message to avoid writing a spoiler publicly on the Special Operations mission)

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2007, 18:58:30 »
hi Lee
thanx for input ..
never thought about predator !was gonna go with it being a columbian drug manufacturing plant
but changed to rebel hideout ...was a nightmare to set up...about the intro..you have a point but ive found that with coops most people watch them once then use the skip intro next time they play.. tried to make this one as short as possible ..
the mission should be full of custom sounds ( screaming monkeys , birds taking flight when gunshots are fired ,and jungle frogs) think some of them are set up as music files and not sounds ..
thanx for headsup about binos ( should be available from gear selection along with other weapons )
fuel in the pick up ... i removed at last min i found that in coop testing there was always one looney who
would hop in it and speed off spoiling the mission for others ...

got ur pm about special ops (very thoughtfull not to post nice one :good:) sent a reply ...
think you were refering to the 12 player mode ( fixed some of the plot for four players)

anyway pleased your enjoying ( keep me posted )... thanx a million mate for taking time to play then post youre views
many thanx shark-attack
« Last Edit: 03 May 2007, 16:46:56 by shark attack »

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 2007, 03:43:05 »
hey Shark Attack,

Got close to the end of this one, just too many loons.  I kept getting picked off by tons of random snipers in the woods.  Was a bit frustrating near the leader's area.  They were on all sides of the clearing and hard to spot-- i guess its realistic,  but then again would they all disperse and head into the jungle etc?  I did hear the random monkeys though, that was a shock and a treat  :D. 

But as I mentioned before, I do like this mission and think its worth working on more still. Would be happy to replay again etc

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 2007, 18:29:21 »
hey mate ..
will take a look over the holidays (10 days off   :clap:) ...
does get a bit tricky towards the end ... will tone it down
thanx again mate for youre time   :good:
cheers  shark-attack

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2007, 00:24:22 »
Especas Commando

Played this one on my own, so you might find some comments less useful because they are caused by my loneliness rather than by bad mission design. Anyway, here my report, based on play at regular difficulty.

Briefing

Again, I like the layout I saw something similar in your other mission where you have to eliminate the officer on Rahmadi, forgot the name of the mission and I'm too lazy to look it up. There are a few flaws that could be fixed, although they aren't that important.

First off, I suggest that you look into capitalizing words a few more words, just to quality of the text. And please take a look at the gear selection. I like it to be equiped with a sidearm, in this situation a SD M9 or Makarov would both do. Maybe you want to consider removing the western equipement from the briefing, not from the realistical view on the mission but based on the difficulty of it. It adds an additional element the player should overcome, trying to get a decent silenced weapon from the US guards - the silenced M4. The SD version of the AK is well, useless in this mission because you have to be able to shoot really really well to actually hit someone at these distances.

The 'known - unknown' position of the weapons and rebel leader add up to the mission, because it adds an uncertain aspect. Although the player should have that much trouble guessing where they might be located ;). It's just good, more thinking involved wouldn't fit this mission's atmosphere.

Mission

I tried the silenced AK for a few minutes but found it no good. So I restarted the mission and thought about which weapon to take for this one, because the weapon selection it very important as it decides you playstyle. The SAW... nope that one doesn't fit the pictures you've posted too well, I have to be a Spec. Ops team so I decide I should play it dirty - silenced. Well, the choice was a bit obvious now, the MP5 at long distances is not much better than the AK so I took the M4 with me, silenced of course.

The problem was that I came across this patrol really soon in the mission, of course I got both of the guys - but - they shot a few bullets past me and no, damn no they don't mind using silenced weapons. So, in a matter a few dozens of seconds the first camp was running in chaos looking for the damn enemy. The first five or six didn't notice me, but then hell broke loose and I better had to aim well at all those skilled rebels. One of my teammates got shot as I moved them to my position, because I figured that I could use a bit of backup afterall. This wasn't going to be an easy one.

It took me a reload (saved before I opened fire on the camp) to survive long enough to kill enough men to be able to move closer and take cover behind a hut. From there, I peeked around the corner and fired shots at incoming rebels. From here on the odds were in my favor and well, the enemy didn't have much of a chance. Out of pure frustration I got an AK and started violating my own rules - use silenced stuff - because the enemy violated them as well. The result was quite devastating if you look at the enemy numbers. About six came from the comms base and they were no match for me with the accurate AK. So I blew up the oil barrels about 20 metres from the car which couldn't be used and moved towards the next objective.

With my two teammates behind me in a column formation we moved closer in the jungle and noticed that the enemy was quite good at this. Those damn civilians wouldn't move until we were right at their noses, the luck wasn't on their side though as emergency full automatic fire from my AK saved my life twice. That's the problem with civilians, they aren't really good shooters, nor are they as smart as their western allies. But that's a problem caused by the engine rather than by you. And it's of course nice to be shot at by mr. banana man or whatever they wear as T-shirts.

You might want to warn the player that he has to take off his goggles when the day has turned into full daylight. Because I got the message, removed the goggles and it was still dark so I put them back on (this was during the fighting, while taking cover behind the hut - peeking around the corner) to notice, three minutes later, that there was enough daylight to remove them.

As we moved nearer to the comms base my AK ran out of ammo (those emergency - damn there's a civilian 2m to my right - shots took up a lot of ammo) so I got a SD M4 again. The downside, again, is that they tend to be a bit weaker over the longer distances something the AI doesn't have too much trouble with. I had to reload a few times (saved before attacking the comms base) becaue there were these pesky dudes who just refused to give out their position and sprayed me with low velocity SD bullets. The clearing of this base was the easiest, probably because a lot of the defenders had moved to the fuel camp (1st camp) and got shot. So I blew the comms tower and moved on, I noticed a nice text on the screen telling me that I had completed my objective, well done.

Anyway, now the last two objectives so I moved up to that place and this was the hardest battle of the mission. Again, I saved before entering the camp and that was a good thing. I reloaded the mission about three times to actually survive those long distances fights, but the biggest problem were that the enemies were so well hidden, well done. In a human four men squad, I think that it would be the best possible difficulty with every guy covering his angle, all with AKs taken from the rebels. Well, that's what I'd recommend if you're so stupid as me and think that the SD M4 is the way to go at these long distance fights.

I blew the truck and killed the leader after some fighting in which I lost my teammates. Well, I checked the map for the location of the exfil and noticed that I hadn't blown the fuel dump. So I got back there and I saw that I blew the wrong stuff, good thing was that I took two satchels from the truck before blowing it to pieces. Figured out that I blew up the wrong stuff.

Went back to the boat and met a few more rebels who cought my remaining 30 bullets before leaving the island with the boat. The hint or titletext tells me that I have to use the zodiac to get out, but it's not a zodiac, don't know how the boat is called. Have to say that the exfil was nice, and I was really greatfull that I had gotten them all. The M4 was empty, a red zero appeared in the upper left so automatically I switched to the M9 and got on the boat ASAP to get out. Mission accomplished.

Debriefing

Spent about 45 minutes on the mission including reloads, don't remember the score but do remember that all the objectives were ticked off.

Overall

An enjoyable mission, though I got frustrated sometimes while using the M4 as I just couldn't hit the enemy (an injury in the arms doesn't help it either). There are only a few minor flaws (weapon selection not complete, zodiac instead of ???) and you manage to introduce the jungle atmosphere, especially by using the correct sounds. Well done, the only thing I missed in this one were a few human players to help me kill the enemy and provide me with cover etc. But that's something you can't control :). Well done.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2007, 15:13:55 »
thanx all for input ...
have taken on board what has been said and addressed accordingly...
updated to v 1.4 (see top post for link)
-------------------------------------------------
changes...
reduced the number of hostile units
weapon selection options changed to reflect opfor
initial weapon loadout changed
enemy will react to gunfire ( their own or youres) making correct weapon selection important
more sounds added
an important trigger wasnt being fired preventing enemy leaders from fleeing
(my mistake left it as radio command from testing)
Mrs shark-attack has checked my grammar any mistakes its her fault
many thanx lads for all youre help and suggestions:good:

« Last Edit: 03 May 2007, 16:47:35 by shark attack »

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
Re: co4@ Especas Commando V104
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2007, 22:58:15 »
READY FOR REVIEW
=============

thanx to all for input      :good:

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: co4@ Especas Commando ready to review
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2007, 17:34:32 »
I'm going to review this one.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
Re: (Under review) co4@ Especas Commando
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2007, 23:16:38 »
just played it on 107 beta
needs some minor  adjustments
spectate script dosnt work since patching
also  seems  much  lighter since patching

feel free to continue with review 
working on fix
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 23:32:37 by shark attack »

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
Re: (Under review) co4@ Especas Commando
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2007, 20:00:20 »
107 beta friendly  however spectate script is not compatable i will add it  when its fixed   :o

edit 
===
made a balls in briefing  have uploaded  fixed version
sorry  all ...   :whistle:
« Last Edit: 20 May 2007, 01:57:10 by shark attack »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: (Review Completed) co4@ Especas Commando
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2007, 21:23:11 »
Review completed

This topic is open for after-review discussion. Have any spectacular stories? Feel free to share them!
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 11:20:44 by Cheetah »