Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Destructible Building proof of concept  (Read 9894 times)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
Re: Destructible Building proof of concept
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jul 2008, 18:29:09 »
well i would appreciate if you could put a few of them walls in a mission and shoot them with an at to see if it happesn again mate.
 the script is merely an eventhandler in the units init, maybe its the wrong ammo or because i am using XEH , thats no biggy like i said, just wanna know whats causing the geo error,

the bus shelter is not final configed ,i will add a function that asks if posts a b c d e or else etc to demolish when appropiate, its merely a material test at this moment and also i want to find if i can animate a single object and leave its geo
 still alive and the dedi accepts or do i need to create a middle and leave the outer solid ,

cheers fr any input

DB

I love ofp

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jul 2008, 20:00:35 »
Ok, it was a black wall.
And it crashes on every client that was online.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #17 on: 04 Jul 2008, 15:39:59 »
Cheers
 i think its the geo lod its got some tris in it ,i will remove them and upload nother, or maybe i should just rework that wall to work like the others.

thanks for feedback, without it i cant progress to full builidling

DB

I love ofp

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #18 on: 04 Jul 2008, 16:58:16 »
 sorry for post in sucession but i feel people may have already read the above and not notice the new info if i simply edit it.

ionos (or anyone)here is a small rework i would appreciate your feedback.

1  changed geometry in dark wall, please could you see if error occurs .
 2 added small little 4 brick inserts ready for destruction where hit , please could you let me know if they work ok on
dedi.
3 place mission and addons in @db4 and uploaded to link below.

cheers

DB

link removed ,wil lupdate new link when further development is possible, i kinda think either arma is dead or destruction is not really something thats needed , either way i will continue to update and post updates here

thanks for all who fed back

DB
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008, 19:02:33 by DEANO »
I love ofp

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2008, 15:15:09 »
Took a little longer this time:
No error this time.
The bricks a fine to destruct.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2008, 15:37:57 »

Please do not host this file anywhere else for now thanks

Hi all,
 due to lack of time and other projects i have made an open source example  of how to create a destructible object that will remain useful in game , this concept is for MP use and is not dynamic.

The download
 1 binarised pbo of dbo_sample wall ready for use in game under EMPTY\ pojject destroyable sample
 2 open source unbinarised p3d /config.cpp/rtm/effects.sqf
 3 mission to show destruction of object
 4 particle effect are commented out but can be activated , i did this so you can have clear view of animation.

please note that i am doing this in hope i can create more interest in placing these kind of objects in VISITOR and
 also MP edicated server feedback .

any questions please channel here as well as all feedback ,ideas, findings, and problems .

hope you all have fun experimenting and we make some progress

Cheers DB

P.s this is not a game enhancing addon in its present state so please unless your developing an island or a modder , download and mess by all means but try not to ask questions about how it looks etc .

« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2008, 17:07:03 by DEANO »
I love ofp

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2008, 16:27:33 »
Sorry mate, no MP testing and not *really* about appearance ... couple of things I noticed.
- If the wall is not on level ground them the bricks dont sit right. I'm guessing theres no easy way to fix that.
- The bricks seem to clip (disappear) from vision when they near the edge of the screen. (I have widescreen, but never seen this before)
- Can't walk through hole (would I be able?)

I gather the method used is animation.
Have you considered/tried using proxies? (same as chairs and tables in buildings).
Visually they are probably OK, but from memory they must have a working GEO LOD (you have to walk around them). Then again, BI may have cheated and put a GEO lod for the table in the main building geo lod.

Anyhow .... nice work. See if I can spot an Island maker who might try them. .....

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2008, 16:39:36 »
Please do not host this file anywhere else for now thanks

hey gnat

most of your problems are because of bad modelling on my part, Lods are not correct that why some flickering is present etc.
 also it probably needs to be define in o2 same as bis wall fence/ cant remember off hand what the def was.

this wall is not really designed for walk through hole, but if you animate the bottom two bricks to move you can stillwalk through after demolition , also all bricks will retain geometry so you need to be sure they are clear of the hole.

thanks for initial feedback i am writing a tute as we speak so more experince modellers can get a hang of it and make propper models.

edit
 i have tried to improve the lods and made a quick change to final stage of anim so you can walk through with at soldier . you will have to walk round the fallen bricks though.

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2008, 22:57:09 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:34:25 »
deano... WOW! the kingsley wall is awesome! can not believe you did that, that fast...

:clap: :good: