Editors Depot - Mission Editing and Scripting > ArmA - Editing/Scripting Multiplayer

forbidden addons and god's finger... (redux)

(1/4) > >>

loki72:
greetings,

this is a pick up from a PM to mando about dedicated servers and addons. sry if wrong forum... is there a server forum?

there is this in the server config: though i can not find any info @ Biki/BiS

--- Code: ---checkfiles[]={};
--- End code ---

anyway.. my question was/is: i have noticed many addons pbo's that crash servers...

say bad.pbo is one of them... is there a way to have the dedicated server scan the 'potential' players addons and if bad.pbo is found then 'potential' player meets the finger of god?... lol mando.. its too funny to not share... or a simple no connect will do... :D

PM quote:

--- Code: ---About your question (script solution):
Code:

// init.sqf
if(isClass (configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "ADDON NAME HERE"))then
{
   hint "FORBIDDEN ADDON BLAH BLAH BLAH DETECTED, GOD's FINGER WILL KILL YOU NOW";
   Sleep 5;
   player setDamage 1;   
};

--- End code ---

though i know they would have to be in game for this to happen... ?

i hate having to password my server.. but i hate rebooting a crashed server over and over even more... not to mention being in a game for 3 hours.. just to have some noob crash it and never come back anyway...

help?

Spooner:
The problem with the method Mandoble suggests is that they are allowed to actually join your server and are just repeatedly killed to encourage them go away. This means that they could still potentially crash your server. A better method is to tell the server to only allow a specific set of approved addons, by taking advantage of the new addons signatures system. You'd need to make sure the server has copies of all the addon signatures that you trust (including pure client-side addons that the server doesn't actually need) and you wouldn't be able to allow any addons that weren't signed. If you don't do this, people will not only bring on crash-prone addons, but they could use addons that allowed them to cheat or cause grief.

Read all about managing Addon Signatures to find out how to enable this feature.

EDIT: Corrected some spurious info.

loki72:
thx for the reply spooner,

glad i was sitting with a cup of coffee when i read this... it looks as if i'll i have to wipe out the 9 gigs of addons in my and the servers addons folder.... but then i won't have to password it.

thank you.. i'll be back to close this when i get it all sorted.

Spooner:
I don't think you need to delete all the addons you have, since most serious addon makers will be signing them by now. You aren't making the players have exactly the addons you have on the server, as you'd want in a tournament, but rather letting them have any acceptable ones (e.g. they would be free to use any sound mod, for which you'd put the key on the server, or none at all if they'd prefer).

loki72:
that would be great news.. but i just hit a problem... editor update 1.02.. is not signed... anyway to leave it on the server?.. as most of the LN missions use it...

edit... no XEH??.. this would be bad... i put the SLX_XEH2.bikey in the keys and still no go...

(redux)

after looking at this for a few hours..
i'm looking for the exact opposite... only disconnect if the file is found... instead of not found.

there is this in the server config:

checkfiles[]={};

but this is the only thing i found out about it:

--- Quote ---checkfiles[]={"HWTL\dta\data3d.pbo","dta\data3d.pbo"};     List of files to check for integrity.
--- End quote ---

i don't think this is it either.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version