Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How do YOU prefer  (Read 3019 times)

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
  • Me pandaren, you like me
How do YOU prefer
« on: 18 May 2008, 09:20:29 »
1) If there's a change to take out two fire teams or trained Spec op team for a mission to take out key enemy buildings, which you'll decide to take with you. The raw mass power or the sneaky rogues?

2) Let's assume you find yourself a situation where you have two choices: wait for the chopper to evac you or try your luck and escape with HMWW you got, which one you'll choose in a hostile city (For chopper you can go outside of the town, ofc)

3)What do you expect from the  campaign? Good replayability, story, missions, what?

4) How large campaign are YOU ready to download (including the addons), over 10mb?100? and so on

5) Last but not least, do you prefer few missions or many

Cheers!

EDIT: Edited 1st question more understandable
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 13:56:19 by WinKIller0 »
You haven't seen the end of The Devil yet...

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: How do YOU prefer
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2008, 13:51:29 »
1. not sure what you mean?

2. depends on situation. number of insurgents, am I hunted etc.

3. good story, slightly replayable, consistency in missions

4. for a good campaign, 150mb or  larger.

5. not too few, like good story building with ~10-15 missions.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2008, 14:00:09 »
thanks for the replies

1) Fixed, now it's more understandable, maybe

5)But when it comes over that, do you start feeling bored /I've-seen-it-all -feeling) or do you just keep going till the end even if you'd get the bored feel

And now when you mentioned, what does people expect from the good missions story, is there twists, playing with things what?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 19:20:49 by WinKIller0 »

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2008, 20:18:28 »
personally i look for total immersion into the game... sound, music, graphics.. so forth...

most people have at least broadband.. i do not feel 5-10MB per mission is too much.

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2008, 18:14:54 »
Quess the first line was for games general, but about the other comment, if the file is that 4-5 mb what do you expect from there to found? It's known that ou can fill that space with any crap you can do, like doing waypoints after waypoints, useless triggers etc

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2008, 21:43:20 »
Please replace the "out" from the first question to "a". Thats makes more sense.

To 1.:
If you make the AI that clever that it will be useful and I don't have to care about loses, I would take the fireteams.
But don't make it such frustrating like the first qc mission were it is nearly impossible to save characters.

To 2:
Depends on situation. With a fireteam the blackhawk, with the specops the jeep.

To 3:
Story and missions. If it would be possible it would be nice if you can achieve something by solving sidetargets. But that should be really noticeable.

To 4:
There wouldn't be a limit. But if you're have a size of 100 mb, it should be able to see where the mbs are from.

To 5:
Better good few missions than a lot of boring ones.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2008, 16:35:10 »
Are you still looking for feedback on this one? Ah well, you'll get it anyway and like it.

#1 Whatever you as a editor decide to provide me(the player) with. You know the mission better than anyone and the prefference should be yours and yours alone. The player will adjust however he can, depending on his own gamestyle when playing with what an editor provides. I personally, regardless of the friendlies on my side, when faced with leading a group large or small, take point and scout ahead to prepare my route before my men enter into an area that they are unable to maneuver in. The games AI calls for preassault planning and proper strategic approach. The more men I have under my command, the more lookouts and covering fire I have at my disposal. I almost never depend on the AI's ability to act and react on their own. When caught in urban warfare, I like to be accountable for myself only, unless the supposedly trained soliders can think and decide on their own. So to answer to the point? I will adjust to whatever you throw at me.

#2 Really depends on the funfactor. If there is plenty of ammo, plenty of cover, and the enemy is not approaching too heavy or too fast, I'll stick it out and welcome the challenge of staying alive. If the enemy is rediculously fast and heavy, ammo is scarce and cover is lite, I would flee as fast as I could. But then again, if the humvee had plenty of ammo, I would withdraw and engage as I withdrew, prolonging the battle as long as I could.

#3 I never expect a campaign to be replayable. why? because once the story is told, then there is no more surprise. The story is the purpose of the campaign, otherwise just make a slew of SP missions with differing background stories and objectives. The amount of missions should be enough to tell the story. If the story is pretty much told without any further twists, then it only prolongs the conclusion of the journey.

#4 I would download any sized campaign to try it once. If the first few missions are crap, I would probably stop playing and never download another from that editor. If it goes well, I would probably explore their future projects.

#5 I prefer short campaigns unless I can expect an immersive storyline. (but there are many who can not maintain a long interesting story line)

End note:
I feel that each mission within a campaign should be as enjoyable as the first and last. NO COMPROMISE. Be as different as you can be with each mission while maintaining a smooth story transition and paying close attention to details that will wow the player. Do not allow time frames to cause you compromise details. Because then you become just another editor. Music added just because you like it, is a recipe for failure and dislike by other players. The Music MUST prepare the mood, MUST compliment the gameplay, if it blares over the ambience, it destroys the players ability to absorb the missions mood and therefore only adds size to a missions download and nothing to its immersion. Sound is key to a successfully enjoyable mission. Sound forces the player to remember certain features of your mission without him/her trying to. It also brings the area to life if you add the correct subtle noises.
If the sound and music seem immersive from the start, I would download a 30 mission campaign with 700mb of addons as long as I was assured a rememberable experience.

Happy editing partner.

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
Commenting
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2008, 13:30:44 »
Music added just because you like it, is a recipe for failure and dislike by other players. The Music MUST prepare the mood, MUST compliment the gameplay, if it blares over the ambience, it destroys the players ability to absorb the missions mood and therefore only adds size to a missions download and nothing to its immersion. Sound is key to a successfully enjoyable mission. Sound forces the player to remember certain features of your mission without him/her trying to. It also brings the area to life if you add the correct subtle noises.

Hint taken  :whistle:

But ye, it's allways playing with fire in here gaming world and out there in movie business (for what I've heard). But I have to disagree you in that it would be a failure if the music wouldn't be enjoyed by person B when person X liked it, it's just a matter of taste. What I'm trying to say is that compromises have to be made allways when you look for a music to anything. You can't really never make anything for everyone.

#4 I would download any sized campaign to try it once. If the first few missions are crap, I would probably stop playing and never download another from that editor. If it goes well, I would probably explore their future projects.
If the sound and music seem immersive from the start, I would download a 30 mission campaign with 700mb of addons as long as I was assured a rememberable experience

Harsh, you know that? But here we can see a completly different opinions (look you fella mission editors) where couple first replies wanted something about 100mb what they were ready to download some people would be ready to download...

And what comes to so called story.. Quess many people tend to prefer short story lines as they don't require as much attention as long ones. (I'm generalizing to make it easier, yes) But allthough I have to agree with you the short ones are enjoyable to play  I have to ask you do they really offer enough story to tell it all? I mean it hasn't been long when POP-icon Madonna told media that she prefers movie directing over songs when you can tell more story in movies, and you have more time.
I'm not saying short missions/campaigns are bad, not at all but for me it has allways been a meter how well the author has made the story. Perpetua was a good example of this, allthough it was short the story sucked (for those 3 missions I've been able to play...) you and you felt that you were fighting for something good. But anyway this was just a brief comments when I've nothing else to do, I quess

Comments are allways welcome, there's no such thing as a stupid comment. Just take a look at my first release on these websites and you know what I'm talkin' about

-cheers, Wink0

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2008, 15:40:30 »
Your right, I was wrong to declare my opinion in such a way. Sorry about that pal. I suppose it is a personal prefference to have the right music at the right volume to set the mood.
I should not have stated that I would never play the editors work again based off of one bad project. I do it all the time. Rather, I should say that I just don't expect high standards until proven otherwise.

Offline WinKIller0

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2008, 22:06:27 »
No need to be sorry, you did say why you think how you think and there's no wrong in that. And I have to admit two or three of my comments were meant to be sarcastic/funny but I kind of failed.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2008, 17:41:17 »
Offtopic, I'm glad you changed that sorry lookin avatar and mispelled saying. :clap:  :D

Offline Barbolani

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jul 2008, 12:10:51 »
Hi! IMHO:

1. To be sneaky capturing buildings is much easier tahn the raw mass, just because you`ll got much more posibilities to live...

2. None of them, if Im in enemy territory, the best is to disguise as an enemy soldier and try to use an enemy vehicle...

3. Inmerion on each mission, just inmersion.

4. "The size is not important" lol

5. 5 Good quality and inmersive missions are better than 20 "5 minute made" missions.

Cya!

Offline Denz

« Reply #12 on: 07 Jul 2008, 16:54:09 »
1) If there's a change to take out two fire teams or trained Spec op team for a mission to take out key enemy buildings, which you'll decide to take with you. The raw mass power or the sneaky rogues?
Personally, I'd prefer the two fire teams. One of the things that attracted me to OFP in the first place was the chance to use small unit tactics.
But on the other hand, I'm not adverse to a bit of Special Ops action.
Hell, I'll play anything :D

2) Let's assume you find yourself a situation where you have two choices: wait for the chopper to evac you or try your luck and escape with HMWW you got, which one you'll choose in a hostile city (For chopper you can go outside of the town, ofc)
I'll take the mad dash in the HMWW with the sound of bullets pinging on the metal everytime.

3)What do you expect from the  campaign? Good replayability, story, missions, what?
A good story is essential in a campaign. The number of missions doesn't really matter as long as the story holds throughout.

4) How large campaign are YOU ready to download (including the addons), over 10mb?100? and so on
Doesn't matter to me I have broadband :D

5) Last but not least, do you prefer few missions or many
Again. it doesn't matter. I've played campaigns with as little as 3 missions in to campaigns with over 30.
The story is what holds it all together.
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69