Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: I love OFPECs Comref  (Read 6272 times)

Offline FritzDaKat

• Members
Re: I love OFPECs Comref
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2008, 13:46:22 »
I don't think you would.

Including the pictures it is over 113 Mb.

:laugh: :cool2:

Planck

Well, used the forum search bar for COMREF and this is the most relevent and 3rd most recent post I've found on the subject so here goes.

I for one would love to see the Comref on my hard drive, 113Mb and all. Even being that on this nasty dialup line it would take me approximatly 15.694444444444444444444444444444 hours to download it all under ideal conditions as I never seem to be online when I need it most and trying to connect while alt+tabbed out of ArmA has made my computer hang on occasion.  A fullComref PDF would be very well worth the disk space in my book, or mabey perhaps work with the Author of ArmAedit and integrate the two so as to allow for application-driven updating? 

***After fully reading Baddo's thread on the 15mb version and what a p.i.t.a it was to make I had an idea.

If all the comref html files were packed into a zip file, one could use ArmAEdit and use the "Find & Replace All" feature to redirect every hotlink to the proper htm file on their PC?,,, Or I guess I could click thru one page at a time and diy it,,, but if the comref is all sitting in one big folder,,, right click, compress,,, Please, please please?   :clap:

Just a thought.  :D

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2008, 15:04:24 »
There're two different versions of the ComRef in the list here.
I guess those are not completely up to date if you're using the 1.09 or 1.11 beta. :dunno:
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2008, 15:22:28 »
The online comRef is all db driven, so packaging up the html files is near impossible. :)
Xbox Rocks

Offline FritzDaKat

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 03 Apr 2008, 07:28:36 »
The online comRef is all db driven, so packaging up the html files is near impossible. :)

But if you were to go with web based publishing and release a printable full copy along with patch updates for a year or two, you could make some money, If only 30% of your registered users were to buy a copy with only a $5 profit to the site, thats still $7,017  (Of course my copy is free cuz I gave ya' the idea.  ;)  )

:dunno: a thought.

:D

---------------------

Hmmm, mabey that would be the opening of a Pandora's type weaponCrate    :confused:
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2008, 07:32:45 by FritzDaKat »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 03 Apr 2008, 12:27:27 »
OFPEC's goal is not to make money ;). We need to pay hosting fees, but no more than that.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline FritzDaKat

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 03 Apr 2008, 20:36:20 »
Well, ummm,  after paying off hosting fees for a year you could run a vote and pick a favorite charity for the remainder?(I'd suggest something like proceeds going to benefit disabled Vet's?)

:D

It would be cool, and a good thing to do all around  :good:

Edit:
Sorry for beating what's probably a dead horse, but I've got a crappy dial up connection (2.6Kbps when the wind's blowing right) and now that the idea's in my head, some lucky Veterans benefits type charity could really use that money.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2008, 20:41:34 by FritzDaKat »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #21 on: 03 Apr 2008, 22:15:59 »
Riiight..  :goodnight:

Obviously not going to happen. OFPEC has never sold anything (except maybe a piece of a staff member's arse on the street to cover the hosting fees), nor will it ever do anything like that. There are no 'flashy-flashy-bang-bang' banners, no 'click-me or-go-crazy' ads and certainly no tradedoublers or other cookie tracking spam. And no merchandise.

OFPEC relies solely on donations from the community. IF we get THAT much that we can stop worrying about the bills for a sec, THEN we can buy some prizes for competitions, or give it to the poor vets. Trust me though, we'll never get that much.

Although we do get a fair amount of donations, thanks to all the lovely people (you know who you are), the server costs are actually so big for a high traffic site like us that we've been running the place 99% out of some very dedicated staff member's pockets.

So... the donations button can be found from the frontpage left navbar. It says "PayPal donate"  :good:

That's the moral reason. The legal reason could be that I don't think we're allowed to make money with by selling things related directly or indirectly to material developed and copyrighted by BIS.  :confused:

Not all is lost.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #22 on: 04 Apr 2008, 00:29:59 »
Ummm, why donate to Vets, why stop there, what about Doctors too.

Vets might get bitten by the odd animal now and then, but Doctors are routinely attacked by patients.

:D   :blink:

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.